It's not been 24 hours and I'm ready to cancel.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 10pmStalker, May 20, 2017.

1. 10pmStalker

10pmStalker New Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Las Vegas
    My own fault for not looking into it better but I thought we had the option for east coast channels. Being on the west coast, I'd like to watch The Late Show at 8:30, Survivor at 5:00 or WWE Raw at 5:00.

The installation came as quite a surprise, had no idea I wouldn't be receiving new equipment, again my fault for not looking into this more.

Can get way more channels with Cox in my area for the same price. Would DTV give me a better package at my current price to keep me?

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    If you are on the west coast NO ONE can legally give you the east coast networks!!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

DishCSR likes this.
  3. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    No they won't give you a better package to keep you, you just activated as anew customer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

dp35654 likes this.
  4. 10pmStalker

10pmStalker New Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Right, figured maybe they would want some of my money rather than none at all. I've never been with anyone else other than Comcast so still learning as I go.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The "cable" networks via satellite are on Eastern Time where local cable systems on the west coast likely have special Pacific Time feeds. But broadcast networks are via the local station. What you are apparently remembering (getting East Coast feeds in California) has become harder due to changes in the laws and addition of local markets.

I don't see any reason for AT&T|DIRECTV to negotiate a better price for you ... right now they own you. You have signed an agreement with an early termination penalty. You can threaten to cancel but (unless there is some local law helping you) you have very little leverage. Hopefully someone from California will chime in if there is a local exception.

6. 10pmStalker

10pmStalker New Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Las Vegas
    I was told I had 24 hours to cancel. A few reps also told me 30 days because I'm in Nevada. I really dont know the truth.

7. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Look at that piece of paper you signed, it should be in there.

DishCSR likes this.
  8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Sales reps. will say anything to make the sale. You would have to stay angry for the 2 years contract before that anger could affect Directv or DISH. The Early Termination Fee is significant enough that you probably won't leave until at least 18 mo. have passed.

dp35654 likes this.
  9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Read this:
    Can I Change my Mind After Signing a Contract?

10. dp35654

dp35654 Member

Jun 27, 2016
    IL, Grundy...
    Maybe but I chose to cancel.And I did read the fine print.They have since removed what was previously my promotion.After speaking with the president's office I was told Sorry I misunderstood.I wrote name's Price's and asked 3Xif there would be a DVR charge after 2 yrs.which I was told wasn't available to me! I was also told services are never free.Then I wasn't allowed to cancel services for 2 yrs. Even though I don't have this contract. I called again told he if I was not allowed out of this situation that I had already downloaded the arbitration paperwork and that I had a open file with FTC for deceptive advertising practice And another with BBB & FCC & since they were fined millions of$ in 09&13 I would most likely win.I had a stomach ach.everytime I opened my bill.So they may give you discounts but be weary as they consider this an agreement for 2 yrs but the discount is for 12 mths. This way when they raise it full price they recoup the money.I was let out of said contract as I never agreed to discounts in replacement of original offer & told them to find recording stating I accepted this.So I will assemble by antenna tonight.

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

11. dp35654

dp35654 Member

Jun 27, 2016
    IL, Grundy...
    Those so called rep's are telemarketing agents that will tell you anything you want to hear.Agents get paid &after not only are they non accountible but you are know someone else's problem!

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Expecting "truth" from D* is futile. I think. You'll find it here.

Rich

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I don't really agree that the provider won't care if you are angry once you sign the contract.
    If I got upset I could easily drop down to one basic SD receiver and the smallest package offered and still fulfill my obligation.
    DirecTV would rather have my $200 per month, I'm sure.

14. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Thankfully the industry is being dragged, kicking and screaming, away from this model. With the competition from the OTT providers thankfully a one month commitment is as much as I will accept anymore...

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The OP should have read the contract before signing.

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    USA is a national feed, so Raw airs at 5PM on the west coast.

Doesn't DirecTV let you pay extra for out of area locals? I see to remember I called about why I couldn't get a certain PBS channel (384) and they were willing to sell it to me for like $3/mo or something like that. That was years ago. I still see the national feeds for CBS, etc. in the guide, but they are disabled... I'm assuming you can get them for extra money.

17. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The national feeds are very tightly regulated, you can only get them if there is no local channel where you are carrying the network. DirecTV not carrying the local version is NOT a reason to be able to get the out of market channel. As to time zones, that is mandated that you get the one specified for your time zone - Eastern and Central get the NY feed and Mountain and Pacific get the LA feed. That is the one part I dont understand, who cares if you see a show earlier than your neighbor?

18. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I should add that you can also get the feeds with an RV account but even then only get one, east or west is determined by the registration address of the RV

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Dunno about the original poster, but for me personally, it's not about seeing shows earlier then my neighbor. There are a couple of shows I like that air at 10PM local time. I don't want to stay up til 11pm during the week, so I like watching them at 5 - 8PM instead. I do that now via online sites ;).