"It's Not TV, It's HBO" is a phrase for a History Channel documentary

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Apr 24, 2016.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Tim Goodman, The Hollywood Reporter's chief TV critic, today explained Why the Return of HBO's Best Shows Actually Spells Doom (for HBO) and it is compelling:

I think "doom" is a bit of an overstatement, but HBO has lost its "snob appeal" if nothing else. There appears to be enough people willing to pay for content through a number of outlets though the investment community opines that Netflix also has reduced future prospects - see Netflix shares dive on subscriber growth forecast.

Still as of this month Amazon Prime Video is available by itself for just $8.99 per month, a dollar cheaper than the Netflix most popular offering. You no longer have to pay that $99 per year subscription that bundled the media content with two-day shipping and other perks.

It is, indeed, a brave new world for someone who started watching TV in the early 1950's.

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I still have some master antenna system customers in high rise buildings who don't know there is now a fourth network, while a few who do portent to know think it is Dumont.

3. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm confused. By my math $8.99 per month comes to $107.88 per year. Why pay $8.88 more per year to get less?

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, that really baffles me too.

Rich

5. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    The new monthly charge only ends up being more than the annual charge if you subscribe for the entire year.
    So if you don't use Amazon for shopping, and only want the streaming service for half the year (or whatever) you can save some bucks.
    I know plenty of Netflix and Hulu Plus customers that don't subscribe all year.

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I'm not sure HBO uses that marketing phrase anymore. If they do, just stop. HBO at the time differentiated itself from the status quo. The ploy made sense a decade ago. First pay service with unique content. At the forefront of the short-arc paradigm that has swept the industry. It was a disrupter. An alternative.

It's still an alternative, but now part of the status quo. It has its own disrupters to deal with now, even if this may be its heyday. Best, most lauded, most-pirated, most award-winning shows ever.

Also, the priciest. Learn from the greed of ESPN, HBO, you are not the sole gatekeepers anymore, and you can't keep gouging us forever.