1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Official: CBS, XM to Share Opie and Anthony

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    As this week's NAB Show got underway in Las Vegas, broadcasters learned that they will share a shock jock prize with their satellite radio competition.
    XM and CBS Radio announced Monday that Opie and Anthony, once an exclusive for the satellite radio company, also will air a show on CBS stations in seven markets: New York, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and West Palm Beach. The CBS shows begin Wednesday.

Through the deal, CBS Radio will broadcast a three-hour version of the Opie and Anthony show on its stations. The show will originate from CBS Radio's WFNY-FM "Free FM" studio in New York City and be simulcast on XM uncensored.

After the CBS Radio broadcast, Opie and Anthony will continue to air exclusively for XM's more than 6.5 million subscribers live from their XM studio in New York.

The Opie and Anthony deal has been the center of speculation for some time (for previous story see: http://www.skyreport.com/view.cfm?ReleaseID=1901). The duo will replace David Lee Roth, the former Van Halen lead singer who was picked as a replacement for Howard Stern. Stern is now with Sirius.

http://www.skyreport.com (Used with permission)

2. psnarula

psnarula Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    aren't these the same guys that were pulled from the air a couple of years ago for airing live audio of some people having sex in a historic church?

3. KnightWolf61

KnightWolf61 New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Yeah they were.........Howard Stern beats those guys hands down anyway...Sirius Rules!!!!!!!

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    garbage vs. garbage.

5. digiblur

digiblur Guest

Jun 10, 2005
    Talk about going backwards eh?

One of the many reasons I stuck with Sirius...no commercials, Maxim Radio, and now this. Taking a satellite radio program and censoring it.

6. davec53

davec53 Cool Member

Jan 5, 2006
    actually, i don't see this as going backwards at all. they will continue to air on XM uncensored, but the CBS feed will be edited, per my understanding. this helps XM tremendously. "hey, if you like these guys, and want to hear them uncensored, buy XM."...and i think people will.

i wasn't a fan at first, but i gave them a shot, and they are pretty daggone funny. howard is just getting old and his show is boring. how many times can you bring in naked women as the focus of your show?? it is RADIO!!

O&A have a more clever style of humor, and far more interesting studio help, with the likes of Patrice O'Neal, and Jimmy Norton. sometimes they go too far for my tastes, but i'll take them over stern any day of the week.

plus, xm must be doing something right. they have about twice the listners as sirius, and their stock trades about 5 times higher...i'm not an xm fanboy or anything, but i sure don't think sirius is beating them in any way.

7. digiblur

digiblur Guest

Jun 10, 2005
    I never said I listened to Howard. Covino & Rich are where it's at from 9am-1pm central time on my radio. ;)

8. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Mentor

Jan 10, 2005
    So, CBS will be suing these guys the minute they mention XM on their airwaves right? that is the core of their lawsuit against Stern. Also, if I'm an XM subscriber, I'm probably cancelling my subscription since I can get the show for free now. Bad move for XM.

9. davec53

davec53 Cool Member

Jan 5, 2006
    they are suing stern because they say that he basically only used his position with their company to advance his upcoming NEW job.

cbs made this agreement with xm, and i'm sure xm wouldn't have allowed it, had they not been able to use the show to promote their service.

also, i doubt that a whole lot of subscribers only pay the xm fee to listen to opie and anthony. i sure don't. i pay it for many other reasons, but i do enjoy listening to the o & a show. plus, i enjoy it being uncensored, which won't be happening on CBS. so i really don't expect this to do anything to xm's subscriber base but possibly increase it.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002

11. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Satellite Radio Rocks!

got that right i cant live without xm :)

ps the other day im my moms car i picked up someones sirius on 88.3

12. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    This doesn't make any sense from a "free speech" viewpoint. I hope it is a big check, since they will be the FCC's whipping boys again.....

I agree though that it will give XM some free plugs...... Given the hammering their stock has taken lately, they can use all the help they can get....