1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its snowing/raining in Baltimore and I have no HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GaryGnu, Jan 27, 2009.

1. GaryGnu

GaryGnu Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    Some time today, my HD channels went out. SD channels work OK. Its been snowing/raining/freezing rain... much of the day. I've never seen this problem before. Usually if my satellite is out, its all out, and only briefly due to weather. I have an HR-20 and HR-22 and I get "Searching for Satellite" on both of them for all HD channels I tried.

Any thoughts?

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Look for ice/snow buildup on dish.

3. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I'm just gonna throw this guess out there: Weather?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    HD will go out before SD does.

I am in the Baltimore area too and my signals have been fine all day. I am watching FOX (WBFF) HD right now with out a problem.

Do you know what you signals are normally on a nice day?

5. GaryGnu

GaryGnu Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    My signals were strong the last time I checked. I've never had an ice buildup issue before and its too dark to check right now. Maybe I need to get some of that no-stick spray?

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    NOTE: Do NOT reset your Receiver or DVR when signals are lost due to snow/ice. Most likely the equipment will not reboot properly due to missing/low signal levels.

7. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    All of my Baltimore locals were coming in fine last night via my OTA antenna.:D

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I'm located in Northern VA and have a A9 Dish with sidecar, my side car lnb has some ice on it, I can get some HD channels and no locals HD, if the temp gets up as the day goes on it may melt enough for me to walk outside and spay it with my garden sprayer (light mix of Windshield deicer)! My dish is located on top of my garage -the dish is clear just a slight glaze over the end of the LNB fractures the signal.

The SD's are fine they are more forgiving:hurah:

9. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    I'll have to note this thread next time someone makes the foolish claim Ka is more reliable than Ku in rain/snow.

10. kpantz

kpantz AllStar

Jan 7, 2009
    Here in Eastern PA, I've had to bail and go to recorded shows. Like others have noticed, the SD channels held out longer. My gut says (though I've not confirmed) that I've got icing on the LNB.

I'm a new DTV customer and this is my first encounter with significant winter weather. What's the best way to de-ice if necessary? The dish is within easy reach.

11. mlb

mlb AllStar

Jul 31, 2008
    Absolutely no issues here with 8" of snow and a 1/4 of ice over night. I'd say you need to re-peak your Dish.

Dayton, Ohio area.

12. BK EH

BK EH Legend

Oct 3, 2005
    Here's a hint for those that get HD 771s due to ice, as is happening here to our dish due to ice storm in Dallas overnight. Ch 102 has 8 news feeds inc. weether ch. Just move the highlight to the ch and you will get the audio for that thumbnail picture.

It's better than nothing if you want to listen to an HD feed, like CNN.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Supersoaker....warm water or windshield wiper fluid...ice be gone! :)

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Just got back from plowing snow near BWI. The 1/4 inch of ice will dump your signal. Try the SD channels. Rain and a little above freezing weather may fix all. Liquid windshield ice melter you can squirt is a next choice for today. Gin too......but not all of it.

Joe

15. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    As I posted above I did not have any problems last night but I did have problems with my HD channels this morning for a couple of hours. They are back now but my signals are still lower than normal. SD was fine.

16. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Just take an ice scraper out and clean off the dish. Shouldn't take more than 10~20 seconds. Very easy.

I live just north of you and do this when we get ice and freezing rain. The Ka band (HD) channels are little more touchy when it comes to signal strength and a build-up of ice can make these channels unwatchable.

17. danallen

danallen Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I had ice today in Virginia, lost all HD channels. I used in an old windex bottle some di-ice winshield wiper fluid on the dish and the LNB's. It all melted. I still had to reboot for the signal to recover the lost HD channels. It worked!

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Just for the record....and your future notes...ice knocked out a wide area outside of Philly today for about 3 hours - on Comcast.

Severe cold/weather impacts transmissions for almost every provider...

I've made it through 7-8 ice storms here the past 9+ years without any outage...but that doesn't mean everyone will...

19. HURBO

HURBO Cool Member

Sep 4, 2007
    OOPS, I attempted to do a red button reset, as my HD channels were all trying to acquire a signal, and now my box is stuck at trying to acquire the guide information, any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I attempted the reset on my HR-21-700, my two other boxes are working fine, but my HR-21-700 is my main viewing TV, should i try to clean the dish off and then try another red button reset!!!!!!

20. euchre

euchre New Member

May 14, 2007
    You are a lucky one.... I am in Cincinnati, OH and I received 10 or so inches of snow and about an inch or so of ice over the last 48hrs... I have no reception at all and will have to wait till the dish thaws out some and the ice/snow drops off since I dont want to get up on a ladder right now and get it all off manually...