1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITT Technical Institute shut down by feds.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by RichW, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Students and faculty who reported to ITT Tech in Portland, OR found that the school has been taken over by the feds and shut down. Apparently some or all of their other locations have also been closed down. I don't have the details yet.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Proprietary (private for-profit) schools wouldn't exist in the numbers they do if it weren't for the Federal Student Loan Program. The U.S. Department of Education (ED) administers the congressionally-authorized loan program which started in 1966. Subsidized and non-subsidized student loans are available to eligible undergraduate students to attend accredited public, private and propriety post-secondary schools. In the 1990s, congress authorized the PLUS (Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students) program to provide relatively low-cost loans to parents of undergraduate students.

ED will provide more than $67 billion in the current fiscal year, about 70 percent of all student financial aid.

Federal regulations governing the loan programs are voluminous (think IRS tax code) and extremely restrictive. Among other responsibilities, I administered a training and compliance program for commercial lenders and post-secondary schools for the State of Georgia for over 16 years. With even the best of circumstances and intentions, serious violations of the complex regulations and procedures can occur, even within public institutions. In general, proprietary schools, being profit-motivated, are more likely to be in violation of federal rules, and as such, are monitored much more closely.

Nothing the federal government has a hand in is ever simple.

www.ed.gov

3. Un-nick

Un-nick Guest

Its a shame that PUBLIC schools arent monitored this closely

4. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    And yet, our illustrious leader would like to expand such programs to divinity schools and other "faith based" institutions. Who knows? Maybe I can open "Jonstad's Mail-Order Divinity Doctorate Diploma Mill" and get in on the action. :D

5. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    as long as its accredited :hurah: :grin: :lol:

6. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    But then, you can get accredidation from just about anywhere and it is accepted.

7. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not really.

8. Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    There you go...a new business opportunity.

Jonstads "Leave no Child's behind Mail Order Accredidation mill"!

Of course I want half of the shakedown...er member fees.

9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Yes, really. For instance, a "beauty college" here in Atlanta is authorized to receive federal loans and grants for students. It is "accredited" by the African-American Hair and Nail Institute, whoever that is.

10. Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    Ok..I got it... We need an Accredidation company for the Accredidation companies!:alterhase

Who want's in??

Send your intial $50,000 investment to strong@dbstalk.com (accredidated paypal accounts only please).

This offer is limited. Act now.

11. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Nothing mentioned about the Buffalo, NY campus, guess i'll have to go to school tomorrow :) I like ITT but the company is strict. Everything has be be done the same across the nation. The teacher I had for 3 out of my 6 classes thus far, who has been with the campus since it first opened 7 years ago, has written corporate headquarters numerious times on various issues and how some things just don't make sence. I'm just glad they don't make IT students take Physics anymore. Tomorrow I have my final in my Operating Systems class, Monday my final for Visual Basic, just hope the school doesn't close before that :D

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    But first you must be accredited to spell accreditation.

13. Strong

Jul 30, 2003
    yeah well I wasn't sure so I copied it from HappyGoLucky...blame him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.