1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IV Retest - how's THAT going?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by liquidctv, Apr 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    You guys haven't posted anything about IV Retest since it was implemented in february. Just wondering what your experiences have been actually doing it.

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Not terrible. It definitely consumes more time than we spent before. But overall it hasn't been as awful as I feared that it might be. The times that I absolutely do need a waiver, like when the IV-retest IRD isn't currently at the service location, ISS (Directv installation and support) has been much more accommodating than they had been before.

3. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >But overall it hasn't been as awful as I feared that it might be.

In most cases I've gotten through with waivers, like when I activate the new receiver before it starts raining, and then I do IV Retest.

But how is the customer aspect of the experience though?

Is anyone glad that you're retesting random receivers?

4. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I don't know if I would say people are glad.

I do know that it is forcing guys to max out a marginally aligned dish vs throwing in a new box and calling it good.

5. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    only part of it that bugs me is when you show up to a house that's been without a 2nd line DVR since the tivo days, and that's the IRD that you have to test.

6. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >I do know that it is forcing guys to max out a marginally aligned dish

Actually, most of the problems I've had with IV Retest are not with dish alignment.

Some examples include:

* HD-DVR's with no b-band converters.
    * Bad LNB's that cannot be brought up to IV (mostly: NEW China-made LNB's, as of last summer. Low peak on 101, or inability to dither to high-def.)
    * Failure to trigger IV, necessitating multiple phone calls.
    * Rain, in the middle of the operation.

If it was just a question of re-alignment, then they would have me, on my time and money.

But it's the customer I'm concerned about.

7. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    So nobody is really bothered about showing up to the customer's house, to install a box, and you have to tell them "I need to (screw) with one of your other receivers?"

And they say "Why?"

And you say, "There is absolutely no reason whatsoever."

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I tell them that I need to run a verification test on the box(s) to ensure that it is getting at least a certain signal level. If they pry more, I continue that over time some dishes may go out of alignment for a number of reasons, maybe not enough to cause any consistant issues, but not max performance. I have yet to have one give me any grief over it, nearly all have been happy that this is being done to ensure the best performance possible. :)

Ironicly, mine is out as I type this as the rain comes down sideways here. :eek2:

9. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    More work, the same money. Oh yeah, gas and materials are more expensive so less money. It takes time. I don't care if it's an extra 5 minutes. There is not a paying line item for the IV retest.
    In summary: "Take this upgrade and stick it where the sun don't shine!"
    I will never understand why an IV Retest is needed when I am installing an advanced product (ie HD IRD or HD-DVR). The IRD I am installing will not activate unless it passes IV so why do I need to waste my time checking another advanced products signal strength? Redundant. If the receiver I have to test is an HDDVR and you've been good with one line run to it for the past 3 years it's either getting temporarily relocated where there are 2 lines or I will run a jumper for the second line. I didn't install that IRD and it's not my problem.

10. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    Its fine except for hr22-100s. They are incredibly sensative to legacy wnc kaku lnbs it seems.
    And goin on a sc for a simple fix the tellin then they need to wake up whoever is in the bedroom so I can test that box.... most people don't appreciate that.

11. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    So far the only annoying part is when you have a service call just to reprogram their remote or hook up the box to their new TV. You then run IV Retest and their signal is 89-94s and you end up having to perfectly max out the dish, rerun the cable and swap out the box of the DVR which makes them lose all of the recorded shows and series just to eek it out to 95. I usually hit 100s when I peak in a new dish, but some older dishes it ends up being a ton of extra work for something that wasn't even on the work order and we're not getting paid to do.

Mostly it's been good, but it should be able to get waived if we are putting in new boxes. They are also supposedly going to stop paying for any jobs that don't get IV Retest done on them. So if you leave or couldn't get a waiver before they closed after 30 days. Now after 5 days they will cancel and we won't get paid. This is for both 1099 and In house techs.

I do my job right so it's more of an annoyance to me. The techs in our shop who complain the most are also the ones who do the worst work. They absolutely hate IV Retest.

12. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    >I will never understand why an IV Retest is needed when I am installing an advanced product (ie HD IRD or HD-DVR). The IRD I am installing will not activate unless it passes IV so why do I need to waste my time checking another advanced products signal strength? Redundant.

Right. I do the majority of my IV Retests on upgrades where I'm installing an HD box and have already done an IV test.

Customer is usually eager to get you out of the house. Will sign once, not realizing there are 3 more forms to follow. Now add another 30mins mucking around, and you can really wear out their patience.