1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've Absolutely Had It With DirecTV's DVRs!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NFLnut, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1 of 165
    NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    I'm a DirecTV + NFL-Sunday Ticket subscriber since 1995. I bought the first (standalone) TiVo unit just a few weeks after it came on the market, and three DirecTiVos since 1999/2000. When I wanted to "upgrade" to HD in 2006, I was told that the HR20 was my only choice. I have hated that box ever since! Then, I bought an HR24 from an online retailer because when my HR20 died I was sent a refurbished, scratched up, cigarette-smoke reeking box -- older and in far worse shape than the one I sent in.

It's bad enough that after enduring five, going on six years of these crap boxes that they still haven't fixed the autocorrect on FFx1 and Pause! But today, I had two of these DVRs buffering two live games. I finished watching the first game and went back to start watching the second (well within the 4:15 to 8:00 time period) after about 20 minutes it just flushed the buffer. No one was touching the remote. It just flushed the buffer for no reason. I missed the entire fourth quarter of the game. And this isn't the first time this kind of idiotic nonsense has happened!

DirecTV's DVR's absolutely SUCK! They still cannot code these boxes to save their lives. And, in addition to the absolutely horrible way they treat existing customers, they are about to lose a long time subscriber because of it all! I used to be a big fan of DirecTV, now I can't wait for them to lose their NFL exclusivity! And they might lose me regardless.

2. Sep 18, 2011 #2 of 165
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1. You had 2 DVR's buffering 2 games. Are you saying they BOTH flushed the guide at the same time?
    2. Why didn't you record them if they were important (especially if they screw up all the time, as you say)?
    3. Why did you hate the HR20? Why did it have to be replaced? What exactly have you endured?
    4. You've missed the entire 4th quarter of games before? When using TWO DVR's to buffer TWO Games?

Sorry for your troubles, all 3 of my DVR's have been working great.

3. Sep 18, 2011 #3 of 165
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Try recording instead of relying on the buffer.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #4 of 165
    NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006

You shouldn't have to record a game to watch it. That's the way that *GOOD* DVRs are designed to work! In the ten years I've used my DirecTiVos (two of them from ~2001 are still operating with the stock hard drives, albeit in SD) I NEVER once had the DVR flush the buffer arbitrarily (except for a power outage, but that's to be expected).

As usual, the suggestions for using these crap DVRs is to "not rely" upon it to work as it was designed. Okay ..

5. Sep 18, 2011 #5 of 165
    y2k02c5

y2k02c5 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back :)

As mentioned, Why didn't you just record the games instead of relying on the buffer?

I have two HR24's with no issues. Used to have an HR20 and HR22 and didnt have any issues with those either.

Hopefully you'll have better luck with your new service provider. Let us know how you like their DVR boxes. :)

6. Sep 18, 2011 #6 of 165
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Buffers by the very term, are designed to buffer i.e. allow you to pause life, and catch back up. They were not designed to hold two entire football games, the record button was. Really, while I see your claim here, its really rather no different to record, than it is to watch the buffer, which has no protections against being stopped, changed, or overwritten. With recording, it will prompt you to stop if the DVR arbitrarily receives a stray IR signal (like lots of flat screens can put out). Its just safer.

I have recording football and Nascar like this since the HR20 first came out, and have never missed one, or had one cut off before it was scheduled to.

7. Sep 18, 2011 #7 of 165
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    As others have already mentioned, you need to record. The reason the buffer dumps is the channel goes inactive (so to speak) when the game is offer, so there is no channel to buffer.

8. Sep 18, 2011 #8 of 165
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    RobertE has very likely hit it on the head. When the channel goes away, the buffer is flushed.

Couple of things come to mind.

Anything important, you record. Not because of a design problem, but because buttons can get pressed. Power outages can happen.

One difference between the TiVO and the DIRECTV implementations of buffering is TiVo did not flush the buffer while someone was behind live, even when the tuner changed for a recording. That is design decision and a handy one. But rule #1 still applies. If it's important, doesn't matter if it is a TiVo or DIRECTV (or comcrap), record it. You'll thank me later. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Sep 19, 2011 #9 of 165
    JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    You get burnt by this sort of thing enough, you learn that if you really care about something you mash record. Heck, sometimes I've shot myself in the foot by pressing Prev Chan or Ch+/Ch- and erasing the buffer. Sometimes you don't realize another program has started recording. And yes, sometimes hitting the end of the broadcast window causes problems.

Should it randomly flush out of the blue? No. It shouldn't, and I can't recall seeing that one; but there are enough other reasons not to trust the live buffer.

10. Sep 19, 2011 #10 of 165
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Yeah, my biggest problem is a crowded table and a button getting pushed at just the wrong time.

Oh and having cute great grandkids visit can do it too. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

11. Sep 19, 2011 #11 of 165
    r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    The buffer only holds 90 minutes of the program... not enough to see the 4th quarter anyway. DVR...the R stands for Record. HR20 still current technology.

12. Sep 19, 2011 #12 of 165
    Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The DirecTiVos only had a 30 minute buffer (unless you hacked the software), so no way it ever held a football game, or any significant amount of programming.

In 4+ years of using DirecTV HDDVRs I have never lost a recording (except for the time I had a blonde moment and deleted a program I hadn't watched yet).

13. Sep 19, 2011 #13 of 165
    jameskelly

jameskelly Mentor

Feb 16, 2008
    I agree with you sir, and I share your frustration. I don't think the users get it. It's about the way Directv does business, and they process of their equipment and sends out crappy boxes. As I said before, they are a money sucking conglomorate that treats their customers like crap. (I'm sure I will hear from eveyone now!)

14. Sep 19, 2011 #14 of 165
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, you don't get it. While you and the OP may have had a bad "incident" with DirecTV it doesn't mean it's across the board for all of DirecTV's 19+ million customers. I suggest you take a happy pill, update your DBSTALK profile to show your new TV provider and start enjoying your new relationship with the money sucking conglomorate known as Time Warner. :rolleyes:

15. Sep 19, 2011 #15 of 165
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    It seems like a lot of grief could be prevented by hitting one button.

16. Sep 19, 2011 #16 of 165
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just out of curiosity, which HR20 did/do you have? The two models, the 700 and the 100 are very different.

Rich

17. Sep 19, 2011 #17 of 165
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We hear about the people with problems (and I have no problem with that, I like helping people with issues where I can.) But people don't exactly post that "everything is working great, just wanted you to know." We get a post every once in a while about a good CSR experience, but it's rare. Not because a good experience is rare.

Almost by definition, posters on here are not normal DirecTV customers. The average customer probably doesn't even know about DLB, or use it. Heck, I consider myself a more advanced user and I rarely use it.

Personally, I've never gotten a bad box. I had one SD DirecTivo replaced, have never needed one of my HRs replaced.

Yes, DirecTV is out to make money. We know that going in. But on the flip side, some of their pricing models works in our favor.

18. Sep 19, 2011 #18 of 165
    RMBittner

RMBittner Legend

Mar 28, 2011
    You seem to be ignoring the actual cause for the OP's "problem": Once the game ended, the live buffer disappeared because there was no longer any kind of live programming to buffer.

You may not like DirecTV's equipment; that's fine. But this doesn't sound like an equipment problem; it sounds like a user who didn't anticipate what would happen in a specific situation and was frustrated by the outcome. Now he knows.

Bob

19. Sep 19, 2011 #19 of 165
    dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Don't be too quick to sound like you know what you're talking about. I buffered a Sunday Ticket game yesterday past the ending and it was there for me to watch when I came back. It was only about 45 minutes real time, but I was able to pick up right where I left off, even though the game ended about 15 minutes before I got back to it.

I didn't mean to be away for more than 10 minutes, but I was and the buffer held the game for me just fine. The current program does not, in my experience, flush the buffer automatically. Even if the game you're watching is on a Sunday Ticket channel.

I have 2 HR23-700 DVRs.

20. Sep 19, 2011 #20 of 165
    jameskelly

jameskelly Mentor

Feb 16, 2008
    I'm not sure why, but most of you (Not all) sound like arogant "Know it All's" You need to chill out! This forum has gotten too hostile. This is supposed to be fun and informative. But it seems like if someone has a problem against DTV, you turn hostile, and defend them to the death! Not cool.....