1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've had it with DirecTV - Rant, of course.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jon J, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    An almost four hour phone call to eight different departments (?) at DirecTV yesterday brought five different and conflicting answers to the same question. Does nobody there know their butt from a hole in the ground?

I've had the Protection Plan forever and have had four receivers replaced by it. The latest in April 2006 was a failing HR10-250. When the PP replaces faulty equipment there is not supposed to be any programming commitment attached. I was assured of this in April, but in June during a completely unrelated call the DTV CSR politely informed me that DTV has attached a commitment to my account that would not expire until April 2008.

After three hours on the phone then I finally reached a rep who assured me the commitment was incorrect and would be removed within three to five days. When I phoned back in to comfirm this a week later I was told the commitment was still there but after fighting up the chain of command once again I reached a "supervisor" who assured me the commitment was indeed removed. Yeah, right.

In May 2007 the HR10-250 began to act flakey again and the PP rep said it needed to be replaced, which she offered to do immediately and she said the dish needed replacing at the same time. She guaranteed there would be no cost to replace either the receiver or dish and there would be no new programming commitment. Hoping I could nurse the TiVo based machine for a few more weeks, I declined replacement at that time but said I would call back when the receiver finally completely failed. The rep promised that all her notes to my account would make the replacement painless when needed. Once again I naively believed what I was told.

Yesterday after nursing the HR10-250 for many weeks, if finally froze at "Welcome, Powering Up" and would go no further. So, I dutifully called the Protection Plan expecting the painless replacement I had been promised. Didn't happen.

After dutifully grinding through tiers of people and departments the bottom line seems to be that the replacement receiver will be "leased" and will have a two-year commitment and I'll have to wait until my name pops up on some "list" to have the dish upgraded to the five LNB model. No amount of begging and pleading yesterday would budge anyone from this stance. I declined to proceed.

I'm going to try one more time early next week when I can commit two or three hours for the ordeal. If I can't negotiate what should be done, then I'll buy an HD TiVo and grudgeingly head for Comcast. Bummer.

Bottom line...I'll find it hard to recommend anyone believe anything they are told by a DTV rep.

:mad:

Thanks for reading. I don't really feel better, but maybe I should. ;)

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Granted you can't count on what a CSR says, but I don't understand all this rath over the 2 year commitment and all the engery and stress you're putting yourself under. I mean if you like DirecTV and plan to stay, who cares? Heck, put a 5 year commitment on my account for all I care.

Plus if you have to go to cable for some reason, most cable companies will buy you out of whatever you owe for breaking the commitment early.

Anyway, good luck!

3. stringray13

stringray13 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Thats quite a bummer!

Sometimes it does not matter what company you are dealing with so much as the individual you have on the phone.

From an independent installer's perspective, I have also had the not so bright bulbs on the other end of the phone on many different companies, and it can be very frustrating.

As the above poster noted, if you are happy with D* other than the phone support and such, get to a high tier of support and explain the entire problem and be very nice (as painful as this may be!) and tell them you dont WANT to switch but you are being forced to in order to get the service you require.

This should be enough to prompt an escalation of your issue and hopefully get you all fixed up in no time.

Good luck.

4. Skooz

Skooz Legend

Jul 20, 2007
    Well, I can understand the frustration. I fought a two year commitment for years. I bought three receivers in 4 years and as I was having each one activated I told the CSR that I was NOT agreeing to any commitment whatsoever and that if I was required to I would take the receiver back where I bought it, get my money back, and say "adios" to D*.

The CSRs finally relented and said they would not put any two year commitment on my account. The last time (Fall 2005), I went on line to pay my bill and noticed that they had a 2 year commitment on my account. Furious, I emailed them and was told that I had agreed to the commitment. I demanded to to be shown when I did so, because I did not agree verbally or in writing a single time. Finally, a supervisor sent an email saying that he had removed the commitment "as a courtesy." That is code for "We couldn't find anywhere that you had agreed to the commitment so we took it off your record."

Six months later, I was having problems with my HR10 and called D*. During the conversation, the CSR told me that I was under the commitment. I told her that no contract is binding unless both parties agree and that I had read every word of every piece of paper and on every web page and nowhere did I agree to any contract. We argued about it for a few minutes, but it was useless. I realized I was dealing with the most incompetent customer service department in history and decided it wasn't worth the aggravation. I wasn't going anywhere.

BTW, I just agreed to a two year commitment to get a 5 LNB dish and an HR20. What the heck?

5. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    Is the commitment due to the dish upgrade? Adding HD?

6. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    It really depends on who you talk with. The replacement of a failed piece of owned equipment should not be considered an "upgrade" but rather a fulfillment of the terms of the Protection Plan. Therefore, no commitment should attach. This is where the round and round discussions begin. Frustration, thy name is DirecTV. :eek2:

"Upgrades" normally do carry a commitment.

7. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    If your not willing to cancel service, they can do whatever they want. They will report the cancelation fee on your credit report if you refuse to pay it also. My cable co. is insane so it is cheaper for me to pay a cancelation fee then to pay them what they want, so I choose to be screwed by dtv rather then time warner cable. I guess I should live with OTA and dvds by mail. Netflix rents hd dvd and blueray you know. I can always go to the pub for sports if its not avialable OTA.

8. paulfife

paulfife Cool Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I'd just ignore the commitment alltogether if you didn't agree too it. Why sweat over it. If it comes to pass that you want to cancel just refuse to pay the termination fee unless they provide proof you agreed to a commitment. If they report it to a credit agency, then dispute it. It will get removed if they can't substantiate it.

This would probably be less work than fixing DirecTV's records, and of course, would only require work on your part (filing a dispute with credit agencies), should you cancel before the fictional commitment is over.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'd be willing to bet that even if you can get the HR10-250 replaced as "owned" and without a commitment attached to it (the replacement would be an HR20, not another HR10-250), if they upgrade the dish for free for you, there would be a commitment associated with that.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    paul has the right attitude here. I'm not sure why you'd sweat this at all over the years unless you plan to leave soon. Just seems a lot of stress for nothing. But then I do whatever I can to keep my stress level down. :)

11. kaysersoze

kaysersoze Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Feb 28, 2006
    There should be no commitment with the receiver replacement, but if your dish was upgraded there is the commitment. I would just try emailing you problem to avoid the frustration of being on the phone and the frustration of the first line of cust service.

12. sbear

sbear New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    It really depends on the equip- if you went from owned to owned there shouldnt have been a commitment but if you went from owned to leased or leased to leased that would put you in a commitment, and there really wouldnt be anyway to get out of it. Mostlikely you were given some misinformation the first time around.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm with Paul and Scott on this. Why do people get so bent out of shape over the commitment? The commitment is only an issue if your planing on bailing to another provider. So why wait? Just bail now and save yourself a lot of stress. If you not planing on bailing, who cares about the commitment?

14. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Obviously, having businesses fulfill legal commitments and having options means more to me than to others.

15. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk

16. kaysersoze

kaysersoze Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Feb 28, 2006
    This would be correct, if he did not have the protection plan.

17. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I don't know your age, but as the years go by, two years begins to seem like a shorter and shorter period of time.:)

It is hard to believe I have been with D* for a year this time. I'm about to re-up for two more years when I get my second HR20.

18. Jon J

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I've been around far longer than geosynchronous satellites. ;)

19. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    To go along with the theme of this thread, I emailed DirecTV with a complaint and they sent me an email saying someone would contact me within 48 hours.

Nobody did so I sent an email back saying I wasnt contacted.

I got an email response saying the people DID call me AND came to a conclusion on the issue (which is impossible unless they talked to me)...

So, obviously...someone was lazy...didnt call and sent them a fake response saying they had fulfilled the complaint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.