I've had it with DirecTV!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RVD26, Feb 15, 2020.

1. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Had a scheduled upgrade to 4K today. No-show, no-call from the technician. I call DirecTV and get some lame excuse with barely an apology. No offers of discounts for the inconvenience.

I put in a request for disconnection next week. The operator made no attempt to dissuade me.
    Prices have gone up, while service has plummeted. The issues have been piling up for a while now, but I've always turned the other cheek. And they wonder why they are losing subscribers and money by the boatload.

Been a customer since 2007 and this is how I get treated?

2. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    DTV went to crap when AT&T took over.

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Do you want a pity cookie? I think I have a fresh batch from 2007

4. songkrai

songkrai Cool Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Have been a member going back to when Pegasus had the contract.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    OP sounds like he was super pissed when he called and it probably came across on the call. I wouldn't help somebody who was yelling at me either lol.

OP expecting reliable people to be doing service calls for DirecTV? Yup, good luck with that. Or any service folks?

MysteryMan, longhorn23 and compnurd like this.
  6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Me too. And I don't think it makes any kind of difference anymore.

Excluding folks with previous mobile or landline/long distance AT&T, any and all of the rest of us DirecTV people can only have been customers since mid- 2015!

Prior to that most likely means next to nothing.

7. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I knew I'd get at least one reply from one of the resident DirecTV fanboys hoping to get hired on here.

Not looking for sympathy, simply stating facts and venting on here about the dwindling customer service which is leading to plummeting numbers for DirecTV.

Steveknj, TXD16, VDP07 and 6 others like this.
  8. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Nobody was yelling. Stop being such a mark. You're not getting a job from DirecTV no how much you suck up to them.

TXD16, VDP07, Dishdude714 and 2 others like this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yeah, you're not pissed at all. Lmao...

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks, but I'm good. I have a college degree and I'm well educated. Not to mention I'm a US citizen. DirecTV only hires people in the Philippines to answer phones. Everybody knows that.

icr2002 and compnurd like this.
  11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    wellcome to the new AT&T. Cellular now the same. Left DIRECTV 2019, Internet in 2016 (1993) and cellular 2019 (1988).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    VDP07 and RVD26 like this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    It hasn’t made a difference since the 1980’s. There is plenty of older stories on here from the old directv with people being customers since creation being told to take a hike

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Ever hear the phrase "Sh*t Happens"? We don't live in a perfect world. When was your service call scheduled (morning or afternoon)? How far into your appointment window did you wait before contacting DIRECTV? I'm willing to bet the tech assigned you was on a service call that took longer than expected to complete. No service provider is going to wipe your nose and powder your hiney with offers of discounts over a missed appointment. Get real! I've been a DIRECTV customer for twenty five years. During that time I too experienced a missed service call. Was I disappointed? Yes, but I didn't go jumping through my ass whining about it on a website. I rescheduled. Has customer service worsened since AT&T took over DIRECTV? Yes! Same can be said for my Internet Service Provider SPECTRUM since they took over Time Warner. You had two choices, reschedule or disconnect your DIRECTV service. You chose the later and created this thread, But it really didn't change anything, did it?

14. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    LOL, another fanboy on here looking for a cookie from DirecTV. Unlike you, I don't have blind loyalty to corporations and will only put up with so much.

And if you must know, I called AFTER the appointment window had passed. I never got an exact reason why the tech never showed.
    They least they could have done was call to let me know rather than no call at all. What do you (and others here) not understand about that?
    That's basic customer service 101.

TXD16, syphix, AZ. and 1 other person like this.
  15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You said you called yesterday ? That would have been a Saturday ? You only get overseas people answering the phones on Saturday. Call them on Monday thru Friday between 8am and 4:30 pm and ask for Customer Loyalty department. You should get someone in the USA to talk to you then.

Note: 4k does not cost any extra, just the equipment to get it.

RVD26 likes this.
  16. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    It absolutely kills me how much people on this forum attack anyone that says something remotely negative about Directv. Instantly once anyone airs disappointmoint or complaint they are jumped on. I mean, c'mon it's common knowledge this company is declining in pretty much every ascpect daily.

I swear there are more fanboy attacks now than when Directv was something to brag about. This forum sure isn't what it used to be.

dishrich, TXD16, VDP07 and 9 others like this.
  17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm hardly a fanboy and I gave up cookies when I was a boy. I "choose" DIRECTV and "stay" with them because no other service provider can provide the viewing needs of our household. Back in October, 2019 I experienced a no show with my scheduled service call. Again, sh*t happens and again, we don't live in a perfect world. I called and rescheduled. If you reread post #13 you'll see I agree that since AT&T took over DIRECTV customer service has worsened. In today's world work ethics are not what they used to be. It is what it is. You claim in post #7 that you're not looking for sympathy but the effort it took to create this thread states otherwise. Your feathers really got ruffled over this. If you like I can provide you with a selection of crying towels to choose from. :rolleyes:

18. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I was able to get to the loyalty department yesterday. I assume the person I spoke with was in the USA. I did not detect an accent.

I was told there were no promotions available.

19. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    When I go to the Cheesecake Factory and order the hamburger and it arrives not hot do I swear that I will never go back to the restaurant? No, I inform the server that the food is not hot and they cook me one that is hot and sometimes the manager comes by and apologizes and gives me a free piece of cheesecake. But sometimes the manager does not come by and sometimes they don't offer the free cheesecake, I still come back to the restaurant. Why - because in this world I accept a level of incompetence and screwups. If I didn't I would be limiting myself to a smaller set of vendors. If the problems continue to occur I may stop patronizing the vendor.

In your case you have decided to terminate a relationship that has lasted for at least 12-13 years based on your signature ID. You may have had other reasons to terminate that has no relationship to the missed appointment. You may have cancelled them in a fit of anger. But if you were willing to have the 4K setup you likely were aware of the additional 2 year commitment if you had to upgrade your receiver and were still willing to go forward.

So I would humbly suggest that with a clearer head you reconsider calling back and getting your account reauthorized. If not then there are other material factors that you have not cited which led you to terminate. But it would be inconsistent with your willingness to upgrade to 4K.

And no I am not a fanboy of D* just a customer.

xrobmn, compnurd and MysteryMan like this.
  20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm certainly not an AT&T fanboy, that's for sure. I don't consider DirecTV to be AT&T although I guess most do. I had AT&T for cell service and was getting HUGELY ripped off. $90/mo for VERY limited minutes, texts and NO DATA. Switched to T-Mobile and got unlimited talk & text + 2GB (I'm on wifi most of the time) for $26/mo. That's a huge diff.

Also had AT&T POTS many years ago $40/mo+ (although that isn't T's fault, that's regulated) and I couldn't even call my parents who live 20 miles away without getting hit by tolls. Switched to Cox digital and basically get it for free ($9) with my Gig service.

T internet is a joke here. 100Mbps for $50/mo. I pay $115 for 1Gbps + nationwide phone on Cox. 10x the speed for double the cost. Cox has weird pricing / promos. Was looking at dropping down to 300Mbps and it actually costs MORE then 1Gbps. I'd have to drop down to a measly 150Mbps to cut my bill and it would be quite a bit more then the $50/mo that T wanted.

Cox is basically FORCING people to do the 1Gbps + phone.