Jackson Funeral: Lawsuit In The Making

Discussion in 'The OT' started by LarryFlowers, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1 of 28
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The Michael Jackson memorial is being estimated at $3.5M.... in cost to the taxpayers!

Last time I looked, California was nearly broke!

I suspect lawyers are lining up, and this time I wont say anything bad about them, to sue the estate to recover these costs. This memorial could have been kept private and kept public costs to a minimum. This borders on the dumbest waste of taxpayer money I have ever heard of.

2. Jul 7, 2009 #2 of 28
    cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    I thought the Jacksons were paying for it? But either way I dont have an issue with it.

3. Jul 7, 2009 #3 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I wish I could understand why anyone cares about this circus.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #4 of 28
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In the specific, I understand where you're coming from.

In the abstract, this cost is largely due to police protection and I would not want to live in a country where the government decided to what extent the police would keep the peace based solely on their budget.

The rest of the costs are due to sanitation and other miscellaneous expenses like that and are a smaller part of the whole. Personally if downtown L.A. gets dirtier I'm probably ok with that. People who live there might disagree.

The city government approached the Jackson family for a donation to help pay for the whole shindig but the official response is "they have not replied as of yet."

5. Jul 7, 2009 #5 of 28
    Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    How much money will LA make from all the additional spending in and around Staples Center, local hotels, airport taxes, etc? Probably a wash in the end.

6. Jul 7, 2009 #6 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Points 2 and 3 are irrelevant since this does NOT need to happen at all.

What happens if they get an Earthquake or some other major emergency and so many resources are tied up babysitting a bunch of boo-hooers?

7. Jul 7, 2009 #7 of 28
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Nearly broke Larry? Our fine state legislature has decided that they can't come to terms on a budget so they are paying their bills with IOUs.

Granted that's at the state level, but even at city level government money is being watched closely due to that fact. I agree with Stuart in that no matter what emergency services costs shouldn't be a factor. The Jackson family just needs to be a little more responsible and help offset some if not all of the overtime pay that is going to result from this event.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #8 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The mayor was just whining a couple of weeks ago about the cost of another circus that occurred when a bunch of sports nuts came to town.

9. Jul 7, 2009 #9 of 28
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
  10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I did see someone on TV also point out that right now there's a huge influx of cash into the LA economy for hotel rooms, transportation, jobs at the convention center, etc. I don't know if it will balance out $3.5M though.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I caught a few minutes of an entertainment program this weekend with an exclusive tour of Neverland, and I was surprised to see that not one room had furniture in it! Everything was removed from the house already! Auctioned? Put into storage for safekeeping? Who knows, but I couldn't believe how quickly the house was emptied. (By the way, it is an absolutely beautiful home.)

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I should also point out that L.A.'s police chief says that there is money in his budget for "extraordinary events" and that this certainly qualifies.

Certainly Mr. Guercio is right that it would be an excellent way to honor Mr. Jackson, if his family or friends were to help defray the other costs.

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Who cares? Not me! :whatdidid

I hesitate to even post, lest I add the weight of my opinion to this meaningless topic.

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This is what I was thinking. I'm sure some of the money will get returned to the state of California in one way or another.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The morning news did have a clip of the elephants going into the Staples Center [then came the disclaimer about a circus show was starting soon]. So there really is a circus coming to town. [OK, more than one]

16. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, to look at it from a purely taxpaying standpoint, I wonder how much in taxes California, LA County and City have made off Jackson, in both record sales and sales taxes? (I have no idea if he ever owned a house or other property in LA County though)

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is silly. LA makes a bundle off of being a world center for the entertainment industry. California does also, though overall they both are losing their status and the related revenue for reasons having nothing to do with the Jackson's.

18. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
  19. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I think I will side with Peter King on this one.

20. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    It was removed when the police went in looking for evidence in the molestation case back in 2002. Since then MJ moved everything out and never returned, that why it was empty. Everything was supposed to be auctioned off a while back but MJ changed his mind as the last minute. The only thing in the house "left" from him was the circle on the floor where he would dance/spin.