1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jax Jags say say all 10 home games blacked out

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by TANK, Aug 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    WOW I can't remember a NFL team in recent times announcing every home game will be blacked out . I wonder if the NFL will change or suspend the black out rule if more teams have multiple blacked out games this season ?

http://jacksonville.com/sports/foot...1/story/jaguars_ready_for_string_of_blackouts

2. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    This is just a local TV blackout right?

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Bummer! Why don't you #%$&#@% people in JAX support your local NFL team so I can watch the games in the air-conditioned comfort of my very own home theater? :p

Well, living in SE Georgia, but residing in the Jacksonville DMA, looks like I won't get any of the Jags home games from JAX, but there's a chance I might get lucky and get one or two home games from a Savannah station on cable, although not in HD.

4. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    Yes for Jax Jags tv market area

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The black out rule local tv (was) Blackout , All tickets had to be sold out 72 hours before kick off, I don't know how they can say that before the season starts?

That is 72 hours before each Home game.

6. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Exactly. They seem be trying to scare the Jacksonville public to get some quick early ticket sales.

7. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    Why?

Then that defeats the purpose of the rule in the first place.

I understand it is hard times right now, but once you take that cat out of the bag, it is going to be very hard for them to put it back in.

8. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Oakland Raider games have been blackedout for years in the SF Bay Area/Sacramento area. It's a rarity that a home game makes it on TV. In this day and age I think the NFL B/O rule is outdated. You're trying to sell a product if it doesn't make it on local TV you can't really sell it. I think the NFL needs to look at changing that rule....

9. Fontano

Fontano Godfather

Feb 7, 2008
    Look at baseball.

For me, one of the #1 reasons why I don't go to many games in the season, is because it is astronomicallly cheaper and easier time wize for me to watch the games on TV.

With HD and other things, watching the game sometime is a LOT better then going to game, especially in cold weather cities.

And given that a major portion of the teams revenue is based on ticket/parking/food sales, I don't see this rule changing any time in the near future.

10. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/nfl-wont-be-altering-blackout-rule/

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

They (oakland) need a better product and the tickets would all be gone, As soon as AL Davis (exits) maybe that will happen, but that is what happens when you constantly move your team around the state, you can loose a lot of fans-Translated- Season ticket holders.

12. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Can't be true unless it is a team decision. Their announcement is not consistent with the NFL rule on blackouts.

13. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Solutions:

1. Win games.
    2. Pay people to attend -- tv revenues will make up for foregone ticket sales.

If rule #2 doesn't work, see rule #1.

14. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
  15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I love me some football (and basketball) but I can't feel too sorry for people in this situation. It is a business, and if they aren't selling enough tickets, about the only thing they can do is blackout the games and hope that encourages more folks to buy tickets the next time.

That said... I really haven't enjoyed being at games in person. Crowds get out of hand sometimes, and I never get the same view of the field that I get on TV.

16. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I enjoy the game, of course, but I'm certainly not going to pay grossly-inflated ticket and concession prices to watch a bunch of overpaid. over-hyped, faux-hero athletes lose yet another game for their fat-cat owners.

BTW, what team was it that played the first half of last weekend's losing game against the Eagles? :scratchin

Certainly not the Jax Jags!

17. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    3. Move to a smaller stadium.

Alltell has 73,000 capacity.

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    In the case of the Raider nation, also clean up the stands. It's too dangerous to go to those games, even for Raider fans.

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    ok I'm confused,I live in Ormond Beach,FL. I beileve thats Orlando area and I have the ST+SF. Will the Jags home games be blacked out here to?

20. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Is your zipcode within 75 miles of Jacksonville? Looks like that is right on the border. If you are slightly to the south, you might be ok. On the northside, maybe not.

Cheers,
    Tom