1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerry Pournelle passes away at age 84

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Mote in God's Eye is my favorite. RIP Jerry.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Didn't care much for his stand alone novels, I really liked the books he wrote with Larry Niven, The Legacy of Heorot, its sequel Beowulf's Children and especially Footfall. And of course, The Mote in God's Eye.

I've been reading the above books for years. Every couple years I read them again. Know what a Grendel is? Know where Avalon is? Read the first two books above and you will, probably, never forget them. Want to read a great book about small elephants conquering Earth? Read Footfall, you won't easily forget that book either.

Rich

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I always followed his column in Byte magazine, but never read any of his Sci-Fi books. I don't read Sci-Fi books by others, except maybe Jules Verne.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I look at it this way: If I saw a book about guys selling petrified buffalo chips in Times Square and it was written by Pournelle and Niven, I'd read it just because I know how well those authors write. Doesn't always work, one of my very favorite authors, Stephen Hunter wrote two novels recently set in Victorian England and I was disappointed with them. I still don't see how he managed to screw those books up.

For me, it's all about the authors, not the genre. Personally, I've pretty much given up on Science Fiction books.

Rich

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I love all those books and have reread them many times. But your forgot what I always go to first, Lucifer's Hammer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ahh, I forgot that one. Superb book. Thanx, Lloyd.

Rich