1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jets/Titans game blackout in Souther CA. Why? Not on CBS/Fox

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Scotes, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Scotes

Scotes New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Went over to 714 712 for the Jets/Titans game this afternoon and got the "not available in your area" message and the game is blacked out. Cowboys/Chargers is on Fox and there's bull riding on CBS. What gives here???

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Which team claims your locality?

3. Scotes

Scotes New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I'm not certain if the Chargers claim Los Angeles as their locality but that's where I am. So... definitely not in the locality of the Jets or the Titans...

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The Jets/Titans are on 712, 714 has Redskins/Raiders

5. Scotes

Scotes New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Corrected my initial post - meant 712.

Just went back to 712 and the idiots figured it out and it's on now.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Sunday Ticket blackouts don't work by team territory. If the game is on a local channel, it is not on ST. Non-sellout blackouts are only 75 miles.

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    This is poorly communicated. I learned this the hard way, trying to watch the Colts game last week in NC. Last season, when I asked the CSR if I would be able to watch the Colts on my phone, she said "yes, since the Colts are not the local team in NC" so I got ST Max. They were not on a local channel last season when I tried to watch, so I got it again, not knowing the real rule. Last week, the Colts played on all of my local CBS stations (3, 2 on Directv, 1 OTA/AM21). When I emailed the local stations asking how I would be able to watch the game on my phone, only one wrote back, they said that the only way to watch the game on my phone is with Sunday Ticket. There is no excuse to black out a team that is not local and playing across the country. Colts at 49ers should be blacked out in the Indy and SF areas only, not everywhere CBS decides to show it.

8. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Then you should talk to the NFL and CBS. That is their deal, not your providers.

1 person likes this.
  9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The reason for the ST blackout is to protect the local affiliate rights. The ST blackout makes more sense than the other sports. ST is supposed to blackout only when you have coverage.

Mobile blackouts are dumb, though. If you can watch it on your tv at home, you will. If you are at a picnic or something, you don't have those options.

10. Scotes

Scotes New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    As noted in my earlier post they (whomever they is) figured it out and un-blacked out the game. I had emailed DTV about this and they noted it was an error in their response but nothing beyond that.

To those commenting about the reasoning behind blackouts - to protect the local affiliate rights - that is not what this is about. The Jets/Titans game was not being broadcast on any other channel except Sunday Ticket so it should not have been blacked out. Further, I was trying to watch this on my tv - not my phone or tablet. That said I agree with ejbvt in that it is stupid that you can not watch an otherwise blacked out game on your phone or tablet as usually the reason you are watching it on one of those devices is because you don't otherwise have access to a TV. Sure, we could talk to the NFL and the networks... they've always been willing to listen to their customers when it comes to how they handle their broadcasts... /sarcasm.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You are right. Yours was an error. We weren't specifically talking about your situation.

12. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    In the early days of ST you could watch all the games via the ST channels or your local channel. In the early 2000's, all the local channels complained about losing advertising because people were watching the game on the ST channel and not seeing the local ads spots (put in at certain times). They changed it so you have to watch your local feed of the game, thus getting the local station ads in the spots they are placed. Probably was changed when ST contract was renewed. My guess 2003-2004. Made sense to me after I understood the reason. But you should be able to watch on a mobile device without any blackouts.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Maybe DirecTV was attempting to protect their subscribers from having to see the horror show that is the Jets. I'd be thrilled if I could get them blacked out on the local CBS or Fox station each week as well.

14. Scotes

Scotes New Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Ha! Now if they came back to me with that as a reason after that game I might have had to give them some points for proactive customer service!

15. Murrjet

Murrjet New Member

Sep 30, 2013
    I talked to Directv Today they said Jets were supposed to be on our Los Angeles local station but

there was a last minute change in Los Angeles to Minnesota VS Pittsburgh so someone forgot

to update the software;

The Game Mix did have it so I was able to see the Jets get destroyed on the small screen.

They finally figured it out at 1.20 PM but needed to get permission from the NFL to switch the game

they finally did at 2 PM our time Bright side got a $ 5.00 bill credit for 6 Months for my

trouble..

16. MadMac

MadMac Legend

Feb 18, 2008
    The rule, as I understand it, is that if the broadcast signal from a heighbouring market without an NFL franchise reaches to within 75 miles of an NFL team's stadium, that team can claim that market as a "secondary market". Some may recall the furore a couple of years ago when CBS in LA left the closing moments of a Raider game to broadcast the Charger game, leading to the 1:25 PM kickoffs we see now. Not the fault of CBS: they were, after all, only doing what they were obliged to do by broadcasting the local team.....