1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jittery picture - Issue with new 46" Samsung HDTV or issue with Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Kemmererj, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Kemmererj

Kemmererj New Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I bought a brand new Samsung 46" 240 refresh rate UN46D7000 3D HDTV with the correct expensive monster cables about 30 days ago. The picture looks beautiful on HD local stations and premium movie channels. Picture is also beautiful on the blu-ray player. But the 2 HD Hallmark channels are jittery and jumpy. TBS is also jittery. Not sure about other HD channels. I also had Directv replace my receiver with a new HR24 and new cabling 2 weeks ago for another issue. The installer made sure all settings were ok on the receiver. The jumpiness continued. I have played with all the picture options on the TV. It clears up on game mode. But I do not want the tv game mode for watching HD. Do others have issues with Hallmark channels jitter on large tvs or should I return my TV? The jitter is on most seen on the movies shown on Hallmark since this tv day 1. Any ideas is appreciated. My 32" HD Sony does not have the jitter.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Better duck and cover....

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont own a Samsung, but this might work...Go into your setup menu, and turn OFF any picture enhancement options in the software, whatever they may be called. On my Sharp its things like Contrast enhancement, fine motion, etc.

If that solves your problem, then start turning back on the options you want, one at a time, until you find the one causing your jitter.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Take the Samsung back and get another Sony.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I have a Very Expensive Samsung and it Works Like A Charm!!!

Perhaps he has a Bad Port so maybe he can plug it into another Port!!!

Ever hear of all the Bad HDMI Port Problems with the HR10-250???

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have three Samsungs, all relatively low cost, and have no problems.

Make sure you have set the resolution correctly for your tv. Try native on and off. As suggested above, check all the tv settings.

As to the expensive monster cable, most here (myself included) will advise you to save your money and buy an hdmi cable from monoprice.com. If you paid more than $10 for an hdmi cable, you paid too much.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm using the HDMI cables that came with my HR23 and HR24 and have had no problems at all. The HR24 is connected to a Samsung UN46C6500 and the HR23 to a 32" LG.

I never had a chance to test the HDMI port on my HR10-250 as I didn't have a TV with HDMI at the time. :)

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'm now looking at a Hallmark broadcast on one of my Sammies, and the picture is just fine. I'd test on many HD channels before contacting the dealer.

There are many settings that could affect what sounds like judder.

When I got the set I adjusted the settings according to something I found on the Net- perhaps CNN's site. I don't have the link now; sorry. But there are submenus to submenus that could affect the picture.

Also try a different HDMI port on the TV, just in case.

9. ogrigsby

ogrigsby New Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I bought a new Samsung TV recently and love it but I think I know what you're talking about. The TV has a feature called Auto Motion Plus (AMP) which sometimes make things look a little jittery -- almost like a Charlie Chaplin movie.

There's a review on amazon (and comments) that talks about it in depth and with more knowledge than I have -- it might be worth giving a try to turning off AMP to see if it fixes your problem.

Since I just joined, DBS won't let me post real links, but here it is:
    amazon.com/review/RJRU8DOMG35GL

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That jumped out at me too :lol: It's the OP's first post, so we'll go easy :)

OP -- There's no such thing as a "correct" monster cable ;)

11. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    I thought Sony is history.

All the reviews i have seen pick Samsung as the best LED 3D HDTV.

FYI

I own neither of the two

12. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    under picture options is "AMP" set to clear?

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome to DBSTalk, ogrigsby! The link is "real" enough to take one there!

The OP might put his exact model number in Google and find a page with settings suggested by experts, possibly CNN, which is where, IIRC, I found mine a couple of years ago.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is a known issue with the Samsungs with auto motion plus. I had the same problem initially and found some threads on AVSforum about it. Initially, turning off Auto Motion Plus took care of it, tendency I tried some custom settings which preserved a lot of the benefits of auto motion plus but got rid of the jitters... But the problem seems to have gone away with the latest firmware. Have you updated the tv since you got it?

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I would agree with this assessment. I had some jerkyness with my 60" Sammy LED/LCD 120 Hz with Auto Motion Plus. Since a firmware upgrade or two, I have not seen any of this problem. The TV is a year and one half old. I have kept the setting AMP = Standard, which the wife and I like the best.

When we first got it, there was some periodic jumpiness, but the AMP when functioning properly was outstanding. Now that they fixed the firmware, it is just amazing.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
  17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I looked at a lot of LED LCD TVs over the past year and the only one I'd buy is a Sony. Side by side, the Sonys seemed to have a better picture. And a much higher price.

Rich

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Lets face it, in many cases, you get what you pay for....not all, but many.