1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Lieberman to run for President!!

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2003-01-13-lieberman_x.htm

:eek2: Well I'm surprised :D

I believe that Lieberman is the best candidate for President in terms of his likely competence but I would never bet on him garnering enough support from the American people or being able to win a southern state which is critical to electing a democrat president.

2. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    This guy is a Political two timer. Meaning that he ran for Vice President and Senator at the same time. No way is he going to get my vote and I am from Connecticut.

3. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the offer, but no thanks, joe.

4. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Willy from Alf? :eek:

5. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Lets not hide the fact. I think there are many people who would not vote for him because he is Jewish.

But I also think that with the Democratic Party trying to be too much like the Republicans, anyone who seems tooo Republican will just be beat by a Real Repulican. I think many of Lieberman's points of view are so close to being Republican that they would not attract the Republicans (who have a Real Republican) or the Liberal Democrats so his only backing would be Conservative Democrats. Smaller and Smaller his support goes...

6. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't care:) I'll vote for anyone other than Bush...

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    But there are a lot of people who would, IIRC, back in 2000 Bush had a considerable lead in the polls until Gore named Lieberman VP. In fact I remember that quite well, I was in the Philly area that day, the week after the Republican convention, and the Democratic one was that week in Detroit, I think.

8. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well Gore was reeling from being affiliated with Clinton, so by taking on a more moral Lieberman, his #s actually went up. And that was Lieberman as V.P (which people are a little more flexible on). The other thing is prejudice dosen't tend to appear in polls. When looking at former KKK member David Duke, he actually did much better than he polled. People tend to talk more politically correct when being polled than when they vote.

9. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You should petition to get a "Not Bush" or "Anyone But Bush" option added to the Ballot :p

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Lieberman's biggest problem is the same as many of the other announced candidates. He is a Senator. Lots of guys look at the Senate as being a steppingstone to the White House, in both parties. It used to be. Many presidents have occupied a Senate seat on the way to the Oval Office, but none since Richard Nixon. Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush have either served in Congress, or more often as State Governors. It's ok to run for the Senate, but not to win that election. Is it because of Nixon's record? Probably more likely, is it because in these days of mass communication, is it because Senators find themselves in a spotlight, with people much more aware of what they are up to. With only 100 Senators its much harder to "hide in the herd" than it is in the House? Have American voters decided that the role of Governor is a better preparation for the White House than the Senate?

The big question is, after 30 years, will one of the current Senators with their hat in the ring break the jinx, or are they wasting their time?

11. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm thinking that the Governor of a Big state (TX, NY, CA, IL) would have alot of experience to bring to the table (minus the Foreign Policy experience). But even a small state's Gov (Arkansas) seems to benefit from the belief that being a "CEO" of "State, Inc." makes a better "CEO" of "Nation, Inc." than a "Member of the Board of Directors" of "Nation, Inc." :D

12. RandyAB

RandyAB Godfather

Apr 4, 2002
    Personally I like Leiberman, and he is leading right now in who I would rather vote for.

13. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Its scarry I actually KNOW and talk occationally with someone who is running for President of the United States. :)

Joe is a good guy who is not swayed by the views of others. He believes in families and religion.

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I would be more inclined to vote for Joe Lieberman than Reverand Al Sharpton (who will be filing his exploratory committee papers on January 23rd).

I'm still surprised that religion plays a role in people's decisions. There are a number of religions that have their basis in Jewish beliefs. Didn't we make any progress from when John F. Kennedy, being Catholic, was asked if he would take his orders from the pope. I'm not trying to be cynical here, but it's easy to talk the talk, but what about practicing what you preach.

How about the important stuff, like how he stands on issues. Of particular concern is his criteria when he appoints judges to various posts. Do they just interpret law, or do they make law from the bench?

I remember hearing a survey a few years ago. Of the people who are registered to vote and who actually vote, 1/3 will almost always vote democratic, 1/3 will almost always vote republican, and 1/3 will be swing votes. It's the swing votes that the candidates appeal to.

Sadly, since I turned 18, my presidential vote has been for the Republican candidate.... not because I thought the Republican was the best man for the job, but because I dispised the Democratic candidate. (What's worse: In the recent California Governor's election, I was able to give a long list of reasons for not voting for our coin-operated Democratic Governor, but could not give a good reason for voting for the Republican challanger).

Right now, the only thing that had me not voting for Joe is association with Al Gore and some of the comments he made during the Florida ballot fiasco. Please convince me otherwise.

15. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Lieberman is a liberal Jewish Democrat who used his religion wisely to gain some clout with some religious conservatives but as a whole his Judaism as well as the added Northeast/Liberal stigma would definitely hurt especially in the South and Midwestern swing states like Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan. I doubt that much of the Reagan Democrat vote would be impressed by a devout Jew.

Kerry has a few advantages, he's not Jewish, he is generally perceived as a reasonable pragmatic man and a lot of experience. Kerry's disadvantages are that he's from Massachusetts, he's a liberal and he threw away his medals (an issue that would be used thoroughly by the Bush crew especially if there is a war going on during the campaign) and he has very little personal charisma.

Edwards' advantages are that he's a relatively young, charming self-made man from the South, an overarchiever from an ordinary family, has few ties to the national Democratic establishment and is seen as a moderate spokesperson for the causes of the "common man".
    His disadvantages are that he's seen by many informed people as fairly uninformed and inexperienced, a guy who feeds off the Kennedy/Clinton air surrounding him 24/7, he has few ties to the national Democratic establishment which is good in a general election, bad in primaries. His name recognition could be a lot better, he has been known as a potential future presidential candidate for years now in political circles but he's a largely unknown face to the general public.

The interesting part is that he is a lot like Bush in many way but the one part where he is different will hurt him, Bush had a massive name recognition bonus as well as an air of competence (to conservatives and right-leaning independents) because he comes from a political dynasty closely tied to the Reagan legacy. Edwards doesnt have that advantage at all.

Who else is left out there? Gray Davis, very unlikely candidate given his troubles at home. Dean is a very long shot, cant see any Southern state go for a Vermont man. But I guess we will see.

16. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    But since Kennedy, have we had a Catholic President? How many have gotten the nomination of the parties for the presidential campaigns.

I don't think there have been many strides since then?

17. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I hope if Bush used the Medals as an issue it backfires soooo bad. Better a man who righfully earned the medals and threw them away, then one who would never would have had the possiblity of earning them. For a man who has earned such high medals has probably seen and even done stuff in war that most of us cannot even imagine and most of us are not worthy of criticizing his decision to throw away those medals (only combat vets need apply).

18. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If the economy or the war on terroism does not go well over the next year+, we can have a rehash of the 92 election where a relative unknown is more attractive than the other well known democrats and a Bush is losing support quickly. So there is potential of another Clinton-Type win?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.