Joey losing link to Hopper 3....regularly

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jed1154, Nov 24, 2017.

1. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Just got the new system installed. I have 3 joeys and a hopper 3. More times than not, I have to reset the joey before I can watch TV. The hopper seems to be working OK. Is there something I can do to make this system half as reliable as my old 722K? This is a little bit ridiculous. Why do my joeys 'lose the link' so often? Every single one has lost the link at least 2 or 3 times in the 4 days it's been installed.

Two joey's won't even turn on right now. Remote...unit...no power on with the button. I have to hold it down and reset it. Then it will work until next time. There is stuff on the screen but powering on and off blanks teh screen. No green light. What the hell is wrong with these things?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    call CSR, it's too complicate to discuss here

3. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I'd kinda like to figure out what is wrong with it on my own. There is an entire screen of diagnostics. Can't we figure it out? I don't have it in me to play CSR Roulette all day.

Somehow, now matter how I hook it up to my home network, it is losing access to the internet and DHCP is failing. It usually happens overnight. If I reset the network and wait 5 minutes, everything comes online. SOmething is not right about that. I've connected it via ethernet and I tried wifi directly to my router. Neither is maintaining for long.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what TTL of DHCP lease ?

5. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I don't know. The router I have set up is very basic and doesn't have that information, so it's probably hard-wired via software. I'm tearing down this network with my good equipment and going to set it up with basic settings and start there. Once I get it going and stable, I'll add on. The first problem is that there are two routers with DHCP enabled. That's bad. I need to isolate one and get it online as the primary DHCP server and then re-evaluate.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You need to turn off DHCP on one of them.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    or make separate pools of leased IP addresses

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I was about to say that - except that the 2 pools would have 2 different Gateways....

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Jed - one other thing to check - that your Hopper is set to"Bridge mode" so the Joeys get IP's from your DHCP servers instead of using APIPA addresses. This is also necessary if you want to use Netflix or Pandora (and other Internet apps) from the Joeys. You also need to keep the Hopper powered on all the time - I keep my satellite receivers on an UPS, as well as any DVRs / external hard drives etc.

My new router (a Netgear R7000P) Also does not have a place to set how long DHCP leases are for (or at least I haven't found it). Using my PC, I did a release / renew to find that it hands out 24 hour leases - which means the DHCP clients will be re-requesting every 12 hours for their same address. That SHOULD be fine.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  10. jed1154

jed1154 New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Hopper is set to bridge mode. I'm going to disconnect everything in my network and hook it directly up to my router that IS my internet connection and see how it responds. I don't like how you have to 'reset network' just to get it to find the router and internet. Kinda feel like it ought to do that as soon as its plugged in. I also don't understand how it even needs the internet connection to maintain links to the joey. I don't understand that. Shouldn't I be able to hook up the hopper to a functional router with no internet connection and have it maintain a link to all of my joeys? I can't watch streamed content, but it should be able to watch the dish. No?