joey question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tivofan2018, Jan 11, 2019.

1. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i am curious as what what the internet connection does for the joey. does it just allow you to use the apps and on demand features or does it also do software updates to it via internet vs through the dish

2. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
    Everything goes thru the Hopper. So you will have exactly the same functions as the Hopper.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Do make sure that the Hopper is set to Bridge for the Joeys, otherwise they would not be able to access internet stuff.

4. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i was speaking of the receiver updates. i know back in the old days box updates were beamed down from satellite though now i am wondering if there sending the updates through the internet

5. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    already linked em together. it's just a matter of weather or not i'll just loose stuff like on demand PPV of if i'll loose the box updates as well. i know moons ago those were beamed down via satellite though today i am sure they send em via the internet

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    still spooling from sats

Grampa67 and tivofan2018 like this.
  7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Receiver SW updates (as well as guide information) still spool from satellite. Internet is needed if you want to do DIsh on demand where the show is not already on your receiver. "Call home" can be done either over phone line or internet.

Joey updates are spooled to their attached Hopper.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    AFAIK the only use for the Joey ethernet port is after setting up the Joey with MOCA, you can switch it to ethernet from the Hopper to the Joey.

9. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i don't know what the tech did but there's 2 cables coming down down the from the roof from the solo node into back of each box running off the ethernet conn!!! i know when disconnting the internets i loose the DVR feature in the bedroom:eek:. that was one of the things that had me balking about getting the hopper let alone getting it installed was a MOCA conn. specscum don't support MOCA networks and the installer would have to diplex the signal more $$$ than i want to spend and besides the cable is shot in the wall:mad:

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Ok -
    1. The Hopper MUST be connected to the dish LNB via coax, via the solo node.
    2. You can use either ethernet OR wifi to connect the Hopper to your router. I reccomend using ethernet, but that's just me.
    3. The usual way for Joeys to talk to the Hopper is over coax using MOCA. The Solo node has a port for the Host (Hopper) and one for clients (Joeys). You can use a coax splitter on the clients port to connect all Joeys. With the Joeys using MOCA, bridging on the Hopper must be turned on for the Joeys to use the Internet apps.
    4. You can put the Joeys on ethernet - IF the Hopper is on the same ethernet segment (no router between them). THis means that the Hopper and Joeys using ethernet must be on the same router / switches behind that router.