Joey Remote used to Record Local Channel Series

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Ken429, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Ken429

Ken429 New Member

Apr 21, 2021
    New to Dish Network. For some reason when my wife tries to record a series using the Joey Remote Controller from a local channel everything looks like it took but the show(s) never record. (Example - "General Hospital" on channel 7 in Northwest Indiana @ 2PM)

Yet when I record the same series using the Hopper 3 Remote Controller it works?! Is there something about the Joey Remote Controller that prevents it from working like the Remote used directly on the Hopper 3?

Or is this just another startup quirk! The first Hopper 3 failed on day 2 and had to be replaced. The Joey Remote Controller failed to work at all yesterday and I had to reseat the batteries - actually replaced the "Not for Resale" batteries with new retail ones. The remote now works as advertised.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sounds like a quirk or defect. Does the Joey requested program show up in your timers list on the Hopper 3? Are you attempting to record the satellite feed version of channel 7 or an over the air broadcast version?

3. Ken429

Ken429 New Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Yes, when my wife (Joey) and I (Hopper 3) tried to record the program on two different occasions everything looked okay but the program did not record. However, we had just got the Dish stuff and probably were not totally "in control". I don't know what Channel 7 we were trying to record - only one shows up on the Guide and that's where we did the Select>Record. Help me out, how do I tell what version I'm trying to record?!

Anyway, magic has happened - GH on channel 7 has recorded properly for two days along with all the other programs we have set up to record. The problem may have been that the Dish stuff had not been completely downloaded and setup on the Hopper 3 when we were trying to setup the initial recordings - and I'm getting a little smarter?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If you do not have the external USB OTA adapter, you cannot record OTA channels (have channel suffix -01 through -xx, satellite locals are -00). Yes, it takes a couple days after installation for all the SW to be updated. And yes, as with all new equipment, there is a learning curve.

Having said that - depending on which arc you are pointed at, there maybe an SD version as well as an HD version. Eastern Arc uses 61.5, 72.7 and maybe 77 depending on which dish was installed. Western Arc uses 110,119 and 129. Eastern Arc will be pointed southeast, and Western Arc southwest. We can likely tell what you have if you can tell us where you are receiving service at (TV market).

5. Ken429

Ken429 New Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Thanks for the information. The Dish is definitely pointing to the Southwest. The Local Channels come out of Chicago, ILL and show as
    00XX-00 on Guide.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Lucky you - yes, you can get both HD and SD versions of your local channels. In the guide settings, you can find a setting that essentially says "Hide SD" - and that is exactly what it does. If there is an HD version of a channel (local or CONUS) it will hide the SD version.

"So, how can this work out for me ?" - If you are having weather that blocks the 129 satellite (where HD locals generally are), your receivers will say "Signal lost on HD switching to SD" - which, you must admit is better than not being able to view them at all (most SD locals are on 110). Sometimes, if the weather is really bad - you can lose both. Which is why I like to have an OTA capability for locals as well.

7. Ken429

Ken429 New Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Yeah, I installed an Amazon Fire TV Recast for OTA backup after many snow experiences with DirecTV and a 15 year old dish. I almost think the OTA picture (4K?) is better than the Dish. But... we're hooked on several cable channels! Also, the new Dish dish is black which should help with the snow and Ice build up.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Darn few if any channels on Dish are available in 4K, and not too many OTA Local stations are available in 4K as well.

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The exact numbers of 4K broadcasts are:

1. On Dish one except they have 3 channels reserved for 4K - 540-1; 540-2 and 540-3. 540-1 is usually the only one and it works only for certain 4K broadcasts of sports provided by FOX. Only viewable on the Hopper with sling, the Hopper 3 and the Joey 4K.

2. Over OTA - ZERO, zip, nada.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am not as optimistic as this article about 4K being available OTA. If you are receiving 4K over the air you would know it. Your wallet would be thinner.
    The latest version of free antenna TV is rolling out now

One thing to note on the initial map in the article is that availability is shown by market - little squares representing markets with some not connected. OTA is received by radio signals that do not stop exactly at market borders and most likely do not reach the entire market shown (especially those that skip over other market areas). But the general idea of where "NextGen TV" is and will be is covered - along with how one will be able to receive 4K OTA when it eventually becomes available in each market. Something that neither DISH or DIRECTV currently support (if any MVPD does).

All that to say, what you are seeing now OTA via an Amazon Fire Recast is HD. Probably good HD since it hasn't been processed, recompressed, uplinked and downlinked to get to your receiver. But just HD, not 4K.