Joey Setup

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by grandpaken, Feb 21, 2020.

1. grandpaken

grandpaken AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    I've been trying to be a cord cutter but with just 3.5mb DSL it's just not working out too good. I had dish network a long time ago (15+ years) and D* after that for about 10 years. I've spent a few hours researching the new Dish receivers and have a few questions about how exactly the Joey integrates with an existing home network.
    Currently I have a Netgear Orbi system with one Satellite which covers my wireless devices like phones, tablets, Firetv sticks, Security Cameras and light switches. I also have a hard wired network with a 75ft cable connecting the entry point in the house to the other end of the house going into a network switch in a bedroom closet with one of the switches outputs wired to the kitchen. Does the Joey system setup a separate subnet from the existing home network or do the Joey's get their IP from the existing DHCP server. I do have hard wiring connecting the 3 locations I want connect TV's to dish but they need to remain connected to the switch on the home network. What hardware would be best for my situation...DVR with wireless Joey or hardwired Joey?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    First off - you don't have Joeys without a Hopper (one of 4 models).

You absolutely HAVE to have coax going from the Dish LNB to the Hopper.
    How you feed the Joeys has several options. If you don't have Wireless Joeys, Dish prefers the Joeys get fed via coax as well. There is a switch installed between the LNB and the Hopper, and at least one of the ports on that is designated for Clients (Joeys). The normal install would have (in your case) a 3way splitter, each going to a Joey.
    The Hoppers come with 2 ethernet ports, and they also have WiFI builtin. You would use Wifi / ethernet to connect to your home network. The Hoppers are default configured to bridge to the Joeys. In this case, the Hopper and all your Joey clients would obtain IPs via DHCP from the DHCP server in your network.

It is possible to feed Joeys from ethernet, but keep in mind that the Hopper and Joeys must all be on the same IP subnet / VLAN. The ethernet ports are only 10/100mbps, so congestion could be possible if you have too much. In this case, again, the DIsh equipment would get their IP addresses via the DHCP server (by default).

I don't have any experiance with Wireless Joeys.

3. grandpaken

grandpaken AllStar

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks, I did a little more research today and found out that the Wireless AP and Joeys create their own subnet so it doesn't interfere with the existing lan. I'm out in the country so there's not a lot of neighbors within range where I have to worry about overlapping channels.
    I do have RG6 running throughout the house left over from the previous directv install but I'm leaning towards the wireless solution.
    My den, which is where I would place the Hopper 3 DVR, was converted from a garage so there's a cement block wall but I can run a network cable through it and place the AP on the other side of the wall. Location #2 is the kitchen which would have one stud wall and 3rd loacation,a bedroom, is about 35ft and would need to go through 2 stud walls.