1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Swapping to Different Rooms

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by TNVOL1111, Jan 3, 2013.

1. TNVOL1111

TNVOL1111 AllStar

Apr 13, 2006
    I need TV to at least 6 rooms with a 7th room being kind of nice to have but not needed in that 7th room very often. The way I understand DISH is that you can get 2 Hoppers and 4 Joey's as part of an upgrade plan but a 5th Joey must be bought at $99 and then an extra $7 a month for that 5th Joey.

So if all my RG6 cables come down to 1 point in my basement where I assume all the DISH node hookups will be, then can I just swap out the RG6 hookup for the Joey from one room to another as needed? If so then I could save the extra $99 for the 5th Joey as well as another $7 a month.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    correct on all counts

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You could also add a splitter connecting the two lines to the same output in the basement (as long as you do not drop the signal levels too much) or if Ethernet is available at the Joey location(s) just run the Joey from Ethernet (no coax connection).

4. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Do what it did, one Joey for 6 TVS. Saves $84 a year per Joey.
    I bought and RF modulator and some extra remotes for $10 on eBay.
    The RF modulator outputs on channel 4. I ran coax to all Tvs. They all have to watch the same thing in SD. You can do this with many combinations. Maybe two joeys with each Joey doing two TVs chances are you can find room combinations where both tvs are not in use at the same time, like a Den or Exercise room.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm running 2 Hoppers, 4 Joeys with Dish 250 -- no premiums
    Monthly cost is just under $100.