1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John McCain dies at age 81

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Cholly, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Senator John McCain died today. He was 81 years old. Regardless of anyone's political feelings, I think most would agree that Sen. McCain was a war hero and a patriot .
    R.I.P., Senator.

AZ., MysteryMan and jimmie57 like this.
  2. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    True hero, national treasure.

Sad day.

3. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    *salutes*

A true hero indeed.

RIP Senator McCain.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    R.I.P. John

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I certainly will. I can't believe anyone would disagree with that statement...

Rich

fireponcoal likes this.
  6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    There's one person in Washington who has already disagreed with that statement.

Rich and fireponcoal like this.
  7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I understand Trump's criticism of calling someone a hero because got captured. It seems to be a variant of General Patton saying a soldier's job is not to die for his country, it is his job to make the other SOB die for his country. Like Trump, I am inclined to think of those who were shot down, captured and tortured as a victims. [Edit Upon further reflection, while I may think of them as victims, Trump more likely thinks of them as losers] That doesn't mean they weren't also heroes: it means it wasn't the fact of them having failed to escape capture or having endured harsh detention that makes them heroes.

I never understood why McCain and his supporters did not turn this back on Trump better than they did. McCain was shot down on his 23rd bombing run, so unless he whiffed badly, then he was, by Trump's "winners" definition, a hero in many if not all of those missions, as he successfully completed essential offensive military actions while braving enemy fire. One citation he received explicitly acknowledged his, "accurate ordnance delivery" and his, "aggressive and skillful airmanship."

Even on his 23rd and final run, it is reported that he had dropped his ordinance, presumably on target, before crashing his plane. 23 for 23 times a hero, and then a brave victim of the remainder of the war.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Rich likes this.
  8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    John S. McCain III's ribbons.
    Looking at those, any American citizen should be immediately thinking 'hero'.
    McCain's ribbons.PNG

NYDutch, Rich and fireponcoal like this.
  9. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    For those that aren't familiar with military awards, the top row represents from left to right, the "Silver Star" awarded for gallantry in action, The "Legion of Merit" (2 awards plus "Valor" device) awarded for superior or exceptionally meritorious service, and the "Distinguished Flying Cross" awarded for heroism or extraordinary achievement in aerial flight.

The second row consists of a "Bronze Star" (2 awards plus "Valor" device) awarded for heroism in a combat zone or meritorious service in a war zone, a "Purple Heart" (2 awards) awarded for wounds suffered in combat, and a "Meritorious Service" award.

His 5-1/2 years as a POW that included being refused basic medical treatment for two broken arms and a broken leg suffered when his plane crashed plus a crushed shoulder and bayonet wounds suffered during capture until they found out he was an Admiral's son, 2 years of solitary confinement, and his refusal to be released when offered unless all prisoners captured before him were also released may not make him a hero in Trump's mind, but his other service should qualify him for that honor in any rational person's mind. Rest in peace, sir, and thank you for your service both in and out of the military.

bmcleod likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well said! Rational folks will understand.

Rich

11. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005
    What a powerful service this morning. We lost a great American.

Rich and NYDutch like this.