John Prine, revered singer-songwriter, dies of COVID-19 at 73

Discussion in 'The OT' started by trh, Apr 8, 2020.

1. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We lost a legend Tuesday. COVID-19 related.

I was fortunate enough to see him twice in the early 90's and I still have very fond memories of his concerts.

Go smoke that 9-mile cigarette now. Youve earned it.

RIP Sir.

AZ. likes this.
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The LA Times headline included the "revered" and because I felt that also I included it in the title. He had his hits, but for many of us around his age this is a John Prine we remember well:

There is a sadness in the fact that the avoidable-in-the-21st-Century Covid-19 pandemic killed him. RIP John.

3. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    He was born and grew just a few miles away from me....He was a big name in Chicago through the 70s and 80s.....He will be greatly missed!

RIP!

4. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    The Maywood mailman!

AZ. likes this.
  5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    R.I.P. John.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Fron Nashville Public Radio:

A Radio Wake For John Prine

When John Prine died on April 7 of complications from COVID-19, he left behind boots too big to fill — and an even bigger hole in the heart of our city.

A legendary songwriter, a gracious mentor and inspiration to new generations of music makers, and perhaps the city’s premier meatloaf connoisseur, Prine deserves the big send-offs we give to great artists and heads of state.

But we can’t get together in person right now. So WPLN News will host a radio wake, filled with shared memories from friends and fans, and a sampling of Prine’s many memorable songs.

The program will air Wednesday, April 29 at 7 p.m. on 90.3 WPLN News, and you can stream it here at wpln.org.