1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining Up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by compnurd, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Hey all, Getting ready to sign up for directv and had some questions.

Getting the Hr20 and a standard box for the bedroom.

I know the HR20 needs a phone line but how many coax connections does it need?

I will be getting the 5 LNB dish which i am told has 4 cables coming from it, can i have them install the multiswitch inside the house?

any other tips please share

Thanks

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    HR20 - 2 or 3

Min of 2 for the TWO SAT connection.
    Then a 3rd if you want a dedicated OTA line.

Yes, you can (and in most cases should), have the multiswitch inside the house.

Only tip... make 100% sure that they run all 4 lines from the 5LNB dish, to your multiswitch.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTALK

Just a little tip make sure you have signals on all 5 SATS in the 90's before the installer leaves. If not you will have problems and will need a TECH to come back out and fix it.

4. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    I would wait to see if Directv actually delivers the HD channels they have promised.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The problem with that is I think a lot of people are doing that. If that is the case if and when the channels launch you may have to wait 3 or 4 months to get a install.

6. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I would not wait. Go for it.

7. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    That doesn't have anything to do with your "What were they thinking" thread does it?
    lol

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have thought about waiting until the HD happens. Thing is the HD i have now, almost every channels i will get with directv and the ones i dont i never watch anyway. I am going to save about 40 bucks a month switching so it is hard not to change now

9. cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    Directv would not spend all of this money and time to launch sats and then not put them to use. The HD will be there its just a matter of when. IMO Directv wants to get those HD channels added just as much as we do so that all of those people that are waiting will go ahead and make the switch. I think Directv will be ready this fall and at that point they will just be waiting on contracts and the channels to become available for broadcast.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Here is another one. Do i have to sign up for the Sports pack to recieve my RSN's? For me it is NESN(Red Sox!)

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Your RSN (based on your zip code/DMA) is included with your local channels.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    As of right now i will only need 3 lines out of the 4 from the dish. I will need more as i add another DVR and another room in the near future. Will they install a multi switch will they hold off since i only need 3 lines now?

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because you don't need it, they probably won't install a multiswitch. Make sure they install the BBCs.

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    BBCs?

15. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Oh, BBC....B-Band Converter...its a little dongle that has to be connected to the receiver sattellite inputs to make sure the differing type of signals are correctly read by your HD DVR, or you may not get your local channels in HD correctly. If you are getting an HR20, make sure there is one for EACH of the TWO satellite inputs your dual tuner DVR has.

The need to install dongles has to do with translating the signal from the Ka-ku band...sheesh, its been so long I forget now...someone take over this conversation, stat!

16. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    B-Band Convertors
    They come w/ the HR20
    It's about the size of candy bar. It sits between your coax and Hr20. You plug one end of the coax into the BBC and then he BBC to the the tuner of the HR20. You should get 2 w/ the HR20. One for each tuner.
    Sorry for the low end description. somebody posted a picture of one a couple of days ago.

17. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
  18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    OK, the BBCs aren't yet needed. Do connect them to see if things work with them connected as you will need them when the new SATS to up and they start using the Ka low instead of only using the Ka Hi as they are now.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Got it. I will make sure they are installed!

20. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ok i am going to call and sign up Saturday after i install another cable line and a phone line to where the hr20 will be located.

Question, will i get a better deal by calling and signing up or is the online offer they have right now the best i will prob get(looks like 199 for the HDDVR/10 off a month for a year plus 3 free of hbo/cin and a port. dvd player)

Also does anyone know the installers in the lakes region of NH and if they are any good? Thanks for the help all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.