1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joplin,MO - Pittsburg, KS Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dembinskij, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1 of 17
    dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    About a year ago the locals were uplinked for the Joplin, MO - Pittsburg, KS DMA. It was advertised all the locals would be there. Long story short the market only got HD (no sd - not a big deal) and a year later CBS and FOX have not come to terms with Directv. So we just have ABC, NBC, PBS, & CW from D.C. Many viewers have asked the local FOX and CBS (housed in the same building) stations and all they say is they have not came to terms with a deal and CANNOT talk about it. I would like to come to directv but I am not going without CBS and FOX even though football is almost over for the year. Do disputes with locals usually go on this long?

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 17
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    No they dont. The guy that runs those affiliates is named Danny Thomas. He has a grudge against D* because years ago when he worked for a different TV station he granted a waiver once for DNS feeds and said that the next month D* put a note in all that area's bills saying that his station would grant all waivers or they would sue them. He has a major grudge against D* and I doubt we will ever see them available.

I have even called the owners of the station and they dont care how he runs their stations. Mr. Thomas has told me her would rather I put up an antenna and get his locals free then to be on D*. Take that for what it is worth. Unless forced to, Mr. Thomas will doubtfully ever come to terms. He made a big stink for awhile on facebook about how he had deals with every other provider that his stations covered. My retort back was yeah but you cant come to terms with the largest satellite provider in the US. As soon as I started telling people to request for waivers and ways to get around him they removed the discussion section from their Facebook lol.

Its safe to say we dont get along. I told him if I had to put up an antenna that I would be aiming for Tulsa and not his stations. Thankfully I have DNS feeds and dont have to worry about his stupid grudge. Not to mention that I have had Sunday Ticket for 3 years now with ZERO blackouts.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 17
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Couldnt DirecTv provide Springfield Mo CBS and FOX, legally, as significantly viewed, in place of Joplin's? They are close enough I would think anyone with an antenna there could get both markets.

4. Jan 7, 2012 #4 of 17
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im sure they could. I live in the NE corner of OK and the Tulsa CBS and FOX are significantly viewed stations for my county but D* does not allow us to see them either. I sure wish they would.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 17
    dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Yes that's the problem I live in Ottawa County Oklahoma and we can not get the Tulsa locals because we belong to the Joplin/Pittsburg Market. Believe me residents in Ottawa County would prefer to have the Tulsa locals. In fact the local cable company in Miami, OK has pulled another Tulsa local (the 3rd of the "Big 4") as of 1/1/2012. I am sure it has to do with the Joplin/Pittsburg locals fearing losing viewers to BETTER coverage of their area. This needs to stop!!! If you are a law maker reading this thread people should have the right to choose their locals especially if they are in a county that boarders another TV market. I am tired of being held hostiage in my own home with the Joplin/Pittsburg locals.

6. Jan 8, 2012 #6 of 17
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    An XG91 antenna with Channel Master 7777 preamp should give you fairly reliable coverage of the Tulsa uhf locals from Miami, Ok. For NBC and ABC which use VHF, you would need to also add an YA-1713 VHF antenna to the mix.

7. Jan 8, 2012 #7 of 17
    dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Well the problem is customer's shouldn't have to buy extra equipment to get a local station. Your Satellite should be enough. If Danny Thomas is the hold up then the simple solution for law makers is to enforce: If you live in Kansas you get CBS/FOX from Kansas City. If you live in Missouri you get CBS/FOX from Springfield. If you live in Oklahoma you get CBS/FOX from Tulsa. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I can understand why the Joplin/Pittsbug is 149th in their DMA rating. They try to force their signal in other TV markets and that's ok in their mind, but if some other market trys the same thing here they say NO! NO! NO! I would gladly pay an additional what ever to get Tulsa locals thats how feed up I am with thier crap!!

8. Jan 8, 2012 #8 of 17
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I agree, but how many people have actually contacted their representatives to voice a complaint?

9. Jan 8, 2012 #9 of 17
    dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Several they were supposed to be working on something, but since this (Tulsa locals disapperaing from cable) started in 2002 nothing has been done. No surprise with the law makers we have they only care about their pocket books. Maybe if a big enough stink is made on the net maybe someone who cares will help us!!! I dread tornado season with the weather coverage we have now. YES it is that much different getting weather coverage from Tulsa,OK vs Joplin,MO/Pittsburg,KS.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I agree. I have watched Tulsa (and OKC) coverage during storms there via their internet live webcasts. They have some outstanding coverage. All the more reason to install an OTA antenna. Not just to circumvent the current dispute, but to have a good backup in case the satellite signal fails (which it does here right at the worst of most storms).

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I disagree. I too live in Miami, Oklahoma and have a friend that uses a Channel Master 3671 with a preamp and it works great for all the Tulsa local channels and is a UHF/VHF antenna. If it were not for DNS feeds I would have that setup.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Yes I have. As a matter of fact since my Congressman is not on the committee that decides for technology I have reached out to others as well to let them know I am not happy that I live in Oklahoma and get my locals from Kansas and Missouri. The FCC just did a report back in August that was sent to Congress telling alternatives for DMA's and how it would affect everyone. It was a great report and that is what I am working off of. I want to know where my Congressman stands and I have been in talks trying to find out when the next committee meeting for that topic is. I am doing something about it that is for sure. We miss OU and OSU basketball games every year because we do not have in state local channels.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Obviously, more that just that one setup I mentioned will work. The 3671 has several large VHF Low band elements that are susceptible to bending in high wind and icing conditions, and are totally useless, since no low band VHF transmitters are being used in Tulsa. The Winegard HD7698P Platinum HD would provide equivalent coverage as well.
    Lots of choices on the market to fit. Wasn't trying to sell antennas, was just pointing out it was an option, and chose the smallest and least expensive setup I knew would work for that market based on the tvfool signal levels there.

Regarding your second post, its the NAB that is the big obstacle to doing what you are wanting to do (choice in locals). They have lots of money to pay off the people making the decisions. The Governmental protection of crappy local stations has been a pet peeve of mine since they "outlawed" getting DNS if you were able to pick up a local station.

14. dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Hey Joshjr how do you get in on the committee meetings??? Maybe if enough of us from the Miami area get involved we can create change. I think our neigbors to the extreme SW would help us too. They want OKC locals instead of Wichita Falls, TX locals. We have got to get this changed. It is not acceptable the way it is right now. I would love to go to a Miami city counsel meeting to see if we can get more folks together on this.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    There are ways around DNS. The stations can approve waivers for DNS feeds. While Danny Thomas wont do it knowingly I have had them approved twice without him knowing it. Also you can submit your own waivers from D*'s website. The tv affiliate has 30 days to approve or deny it or D* can in fact activate the DNS feeds. They usually wont but what I did was checked every day and everytime I got denied and it was alot I just kept reapplying and now I have East and West Coast DNS feeds in SD and HD.

There wont be any changing the minds of the NAB. It will have to come from somewhere else. That is why I am trying to get action taken by the government. Go to this link http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/satellite-television and download the report from the FCC. There is a ton of good info in this report. It is a matter of time before the Energy and Commerce Technology committee gets around to meeting on it. Its also expecting alot for anything to happen before the new satellite laws expire. I dont care if its this year or when the next negotiations come around. Change is needed. I found out that my Congressman is not running again and he is not on the committee to do anything about it anyways. That being said I am not stopping there.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im not sure what you would get from a City Council Meeting here. I dont even know if they would let us on the agenda for that. While alot of people want the Tulsa locals alot want Pittsburg as well. The law says we are in the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA. Besides I been to the City Council meetings. I was the one on the paper twice fighting their new $5 fee if you forget to bring your bill with you when you pay. Remember that?

17. dembinskij

dembinskij Cool Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I hear at the 1/16/12 city council meeting there is a group speaking against Cable One in Miami, OK. Glad to see we are not the only ones not happy in be FORCED into the Joplin/Pittsburg locals. I have been told the meeting that is usualy on Channel 13 just went off the air prior to the start of the meeting.