1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jose Canseco's new book to be released Monday!!

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by BlackHitachi, Feb 9, 2005.

1. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004
    As an A's FAN and lucky enough to meat and be friends with an A's ex pitcher. This will be a pretty good book for me. Sorry i did not post this with the Barry BONDS threads but it deserves its own thread i thought!!!! :D

2. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I have a feeling this will turn out like the Brian Bosworth and University of Oklahoma story many years ago. Sports figure writes tell all book - everybody denies everything and calls him a liar - it all turns out to be true.

time will tell

3. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    True or not, it has the appearance of profiting at the expense of others. Where was his willingness to talk about steroids while he played? I'm all for getting steroids out of baseball. Even so, exposing steriod use by players in a "tell-all" book is pretty low.

4. BlackHitachi

BlackHitachi Godfather

Jan 1, 2004

Yea this is true but come on in 98 alot of people knew. I mean the signs have been there for awile. Any way i wonder how many people would reply if it was BONDS name Jose NAMED??? :rolleyes:

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not a fan of baseball so I should probably keep my mouth shut...

But, if everything the guy says in his book turns out to be true... why crucify him for telling it?

I know there is this "don't be a tattletale" mentality sometimes... but if your neighbor saw someone breaking into your house when you're gone, wouldn't you want them to tell? Wouldn't you want someone to report if you were being beaten in an alley somewhere?

And if the guy is making a buck by ratting out people... well... he couldn't rat them out if they weren't doing anything wrong could he? I mean... it's sad sometimes when people who "tell on" someone are raked over more coals than the person who actually did something wrong.

Just thinking out loud here!

6. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Methinks it's unwise to say anything negative about a sitting president. Jose might find himself in the limelight a little more than he wants.

7. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Jose must have been offered alot of Money is all i can $ay

8. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You don't think you can "rat out" someone if they aren't doing something wrong? You can all kinds of comments about people that aren't true. Its their word against yours. If you make those claims, even if not true, there will always be people who believe the lie, who believe that where there is smoke, there must be fire. Once the story is out there it will never die. You don't believe it. Take a look at Snopes or other hoax busting sights. Any number of stories, particularly about political figures are forwarded every day, some with roots that go back 20 or more years and have even changed targets over the years, that never die because there is always someone who wants to believe the worst.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's an entirely different discussion... If Canseco is making stuff up or lying... then he isn't "ratting" someone out... he is slandering them... and he should be smacked as many ways to Sunday as possible for doing that.

But if what he is saying is true... then I can't find fault in him for saying true things that people don't want to hear.

So it's clear where I am on the fence... Slander=bad... Ratting=good.