Jumping over from DirecTV - Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Hunter707, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Hunter707

Hunter707 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    After a couple of really bad days dealing with really bad CSRs, it is time for me to move on from D*. There was a time when I was more of an enthusiast, but I haven't had the time for a few years. Because of that, I am not as familiar with the equipment and programming as I was before. I am hoping for some recommendations.

I have 3 TVs: all HD, no 4K.

I have satellite Internet, so I won't be doing much Slinging, but I would like to be able to download my recordings to a device and take them with me. Can I do that with a laptop or Android tablet?

I currently have the D* Premier package basically because each of the cable movie channels has at least 1 show I watch. I realize I will be losing HBO and Cinemax, but I'll live. I am looking at the Top 200 package and adding SHO and STARZ.

I can't find a price for NHL Center Ice. Any idea on this one?

What equipment should I be looking for? Any other advice you can think of?

Thanks,
    Hunter

2. Hunter707

Hunter707 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Dish is installed and here is my take so far.

- Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys.
    - What should a good signal strength be? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but they are all 50s or lower. Installer said that was fine, but I am skeptical. I am used to wanting to be 80s+. I'm in Montana if that is relevant.
    - The first day I noticed a drop in picture quality from DirecTV. It was never terrible, just noticeable the first day. I don't really notice it anymore.
    - I'm not sure about the Prime Time Anytime. I am used to picking and choosing what to record and sometimes we will go weeks+ before watching certain shows. I will likely keep it on and ignore it for now. Does it have its own space allocation or is it using part of my regular space?
    - I hate the fast forward. The slowest you can do is 15x and it is impossible not to overshoot. I understand the reasons for not having the auto-correct feature. I just wish there was a way of adjusting down from the 15x. I scoured all the menus, but could not find a way. Is there any way that this can be changed?

That's all I have so far. It is taking some getting used to the new interface.

Thanks,
    Hunter

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Try using the skip forward and back (30 seconds forward, 10 seconds back) to skip through commercials instead of FF and REV.

If you record shows from ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox locals, you want to keep the PTAT on. After the contracted number of days, then Autohop become available and you don't have to manually skip those commercials. I would setup timers on the shows you want to watch later so you will have them after the PTAT overwrites.

Signal strength - DIsh had (a LONG time ago) used up to 125 on their signal scale. Now, they have the receivers setup to match the sat finders the installation guys use, so, if you're seeing signal 50+ on most transponders, you're fine. Higher is better of course, but it would be extremely rare to see anything beyond 90, and most will be in the 50's 60's and 70's. You will also see some zeroes - these are spotbeams that you do not receive.

4. Hunter707

Hunter707 Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Thanks scooper for the info. That is good advice about the PTAT.

Regarding signal strength, when I said 80s+ I was referring to my experience with D*, Starchoice/Bell/Shaw. I had no idea about Dish. I just thought my installer was being lazy only tuning to 40-50s and wanted to double check.

We are getting more comfortable with the fast forward/rewind. I still find it silly that it starts at 15x and is not configurable.