1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jury awards smoker $28 BILLION dollars

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Oct 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 6, 2002 #1 of 18
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    HOLY COW!

Ex-smoker awarded $28 billion in damages
    Newport Beach resident sued Philip Morris after contracting lung cancer.
    By GARY GENTILE
    The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES – A Superior Court jury today awarded $28 billion in punitive damages to a former smoker from Newport Beach who sued Philip Morris Inc. for fraud and negligence, a court spokesman said.

The 12-member jury made the award to Betty Bullock, 64, of Newport Beach, who started smoking when she was 17 and was diagnosed last year with lung cancer that has since spread to her liver.

Last month, the same jury awarded Bullock $750,000 in economic damages and $100,000 for pain and suffering.

Those crazy California juries....

2. Oct 6, 2002 #2 of 18
    MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Good decision:)

3. Oct 6, 2002 #3 of 18
    Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Looks like you have a better chance of striking it big with a pack of cigarettes rather than a lottery ticket. Yeesh...

Cigarettes + good lawyer = JACKPOT? :rolleyes:

4. Oct 6, 2002 #4 of 18
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The only problem with this decision is that if there are one or two more of these the all the other lawyers in the country will go hungry because the cig. companies will be bankrupt and all the money will go to the two lawyers winning this and the next case. I don't care about the cig companies, but this really is stupid. This is the trouble of when society discovers that they can inrichen themselves through no effort on their own.

5. Oct 6, 2002 #5 of 18
    STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    This is such total BS...
    So I guess the next law suit we will be hearing about is the alcoholic suing their 'favorite' liquor distillery for contributing to their liver disease.:rolleyes:

6. Oct 7, 2002 #6 of 18
    Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Decisions like this have yet to make it past appeals with money in tact. They will be lucky to end up with a million minus attorney fees. These big awards make big headlines, but they are always overturned.

7. Oct 7, 2002 #7 of 18
    MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "because the cig. companies will be bankrupt"

Isn't that the whole point? :)

8. Oct 7, 2002 #8 of 18
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell no! What will happen to NASCAR then? Winston has given NASCAR millions and millions (maybe billions) of $$$ for NASCAR operations.

9. Oct 7, 2002 #9 of 18
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    A better question is what will the states do to replace the tax funds generated by the cig companies? If they go away be prepared for very large tax increases. This all comes down to an issue that people hate to discuss, personal responsibility. As long as there is a lawyer out there looking to win the lottery they will deny any personal responsibility on the part of their partners in the lottery (their clients).

10. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Juries shouldn't be allowed to determine damages. This is a perfect example of why. This reward the "victim" attitude is going too far.

My opinion?

The lady doesn't deserve a dime. She didn't deserve the $750,000 in economic damages, she didn't deserve the $100,000 for pain and suffering and she certainly doesn't deserve the 28 billion in punitive damages.

She made the choice to smoke. She knew what the consequences were. The cigarette companies started putting warning labels on packages in the sixties. She had the opportunity to quit then, but she didn't. Plain and simple - people shouldn't be awarded for their stupidity.

Makes me wonder if she'll ever get a dime. The tobacco industry will tie this thing up with legal shenanigans for decades.

11. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    I feel the same way here whether its fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, prescription drugs, caffeine, etc... This is precisely why I hate that the NHL made the decision a few years back to reward losing teams in overtime with a point. It makes absolutely no sense at all to me to offer a consolation prize to the defeated the same way you wouldn't reward a son or daughter with $10.00 for every D or F he or she brought home on their report card.

12. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    ..this will get overturned...

13. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    :smoking: I'm going to start smoking, forget the lottery. :lol:

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Perhaps they should find an honest sponsor to back them, instead of a company poisoning its own customers. Perhaps the tobacco companies should find an honest way of making a living as well. They already own a number of legitimate companies, perhaps they could concentrate on those.

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Perhaps the tabacco growers should stop being compensated by our government for growing a product that kills the end customer. Oops, can't have that, government payments to farmers are good.

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Perhaps Republican (and Democrat) Senators and Representatives from tobacco growing states should stop buying votes by their pork barrel tactics.

17. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Obviously this is way out of line, but it does hit the tobacco companies with a big stick... to start dealing with a class action settlement. This single judgement, as large as it is, will not have much effect on the PM bottom line.

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better. This should stop in every state (especially West Virginia), not just tobacco growing states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.