1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just a couple more ? b4 dumping dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mplsjeffm, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mplsjeffm

mplsjeffm AllStar

May 28, 2005
    Direct CSR will not give me a 2nd HD DVR so, I'm thinking of looking for one on Ebay or Craigslist. I just need a SD DVR, you can use SD DVR when you have the HD feed, right?
    They told me if I get a DVR myself,it would not have a smart card. I would have to buy that for $25.00.
    Would the installer have those cards on them or do I have to have one mailed to me?
    What is the best SD DVR model number?

Do I have any control over the model of HD DVR that the installer puts in? if yes, what is the best model number.
    Thanks for all the great information.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Give you a 2nd HD DVR as a new customer, that's the norm, but you could get one for $99 usually in place of the 2nd HD receiver. Since if you purchased your own receiver by Craigs list or EBay you'll also have the $25 access card charge so it's really now $75 minus whatever you'd pay for that other receiver so why not just pay the $99, you'll be happier. A number of folks here have posted that they're sorry they didn't do that in the beginning since doing it later was a $199 upgrade charge.

You really don't have any control over what model receiver you'll get but if you also ordered the Whole Home DVR service that increases your odds of getting the HR24 receivers. I'd recommnd requesting that as a new customer since install is free else it would cost $200 if you did it later. There is that $3/month WHDVR charge but AFAIK you could cancel that after your install if you don't liek it, but chances are you'll come to love it.

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    I thought cards were $20, but the charge may have gone up. You have to get them through Directv, not the installer. You can use an sd dvr with the Slimline dish, no problem. The only way to get the model number you want is to get it from Solid Signal or some other supplier. The HR24 is the latest and best model. If you get it new like that, the card comes with it. If you get a used one, be careful that it isn't a leased unit since you may not be able to get it activated without jumping through hoops.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If you decide to purchase a SD DVR from a third party, the best choice would be a R16, since SWM installations appear to be pretty standard these days and earlier models aren't compatible.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    For an SD DVR I agree with bobnielsen, get an R16. But make sure it is an owned (not leased) unit before buying from an individual. Get the receiver ID number (RID) and call DirecTV and verify it is an owned unit and not from an account in arrears.

However I also agree with the earlier advice, get an HD DVR. You can't do MRV / whole-home with an SD receiver or DVR. You will soon regret not having HD capability at each viewing location.

6. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    I have an owned R16 for sale and the cost of a new access card is still only 20.00

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    How recent was that, I gave an owned HR21 to my son and was charged $25 for a new access card last May.

8. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    Today, as far as I saw at work earlier it is still 20.00

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    OK, guess they made an extra $5 off of me.

10. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    I am not sure. I don't have access to your account so I don't want to speculate.