1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a warning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnz16, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnz16

johnz16 New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Just want to let everyone know if you are running the zinwell multiswitch with the Sonora signal locker to be careful. I woke up this morning with no signal on any satellites. I went to my garage where all the equipment is located to investigate and was punched in the face with the smell of burning electronics and a haze of smoke hanging out at the ceiling of my garage. The signal locker had burned. Nothing had made it out of the metal case but was enough to make me worried about my house burning down.

Just a warning to check your equipment

Also, if anyone could recommend a good powered multiswitch with 8 outputs it would be much appreciated. :)

John

2. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
  3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It would certainly be worth knowing more after you have had a chance to investigate your problem. For example, is there a defective cable or connector somewhere in the system? Is your LNB assembly defective? I'm just trying to think of some of the things that could cause an excessive power draw on the Sonora, although it should have some type of safeguard against that happening.

I just did a quick Google search on that product (using various terms including the specific model number) and found no hits that referenced failures or fire, suggesting this is not a common occurence.

However your experience is certainly worth noting. If I had one, I know I would be checking it's installation.

Carl

4. hambonewd

hambonewd Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    definitely report this to the manufacturer. if this is a problem it may need to be recalled. before someones house burns down would be ideal.

5. johnz16

johnz16 New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    I cracked open the sonora and to my surprise it was fine. The power supply is the thing that burnt I opened that up and there was definate burnt parts. I am going to report to them that the power supply failed. I have a feeling that it was a random manufacturing defect but it will be reported none the less.

Thanks for the replies
    John

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    John,

Thanks for the warning. Hope you get service back soon.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    There's a signficant chance that the power supply ate the switch when it was going bad, so be sure you have a new switch available when you replace that wall wart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.