Just blue-skying here and would like your input...

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by van_gogh, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. van_gogh

van_gogh Mentor

Apr 8, 2004
    What currently prohibits network broadcasters from making their content available directly to their audience via the internet?

• I understand bandwidth limitations, but those will be addressed. (I'm thinking of FTTP - Yes, I know it's still far off for most, but it's closer to reality for some these days.)

• Copyright protections are in place for digital transmissions already.

• The networks' current business model (i.e. advertising & rebroadcasting rights) can easily be addressed.

What I'm wondering is, eventually, what's to prevent the existing content producers from cutting out the pipeline companies (satellite/cable)? And what say would the FCC have over internet-based broadcasts?

2. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    On the surface, I can't think of anything legal that would prevent them from doing this. I've heard it theorized that this is exactly what will happen in the future.

In my opinion, I wonder if networks really want to take on the burden of customer service to 10 million subscribers. Anyway, I'm not an expert in the field so this point might be moot.

3. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Yes, but the locals don't want to "address" this model, and without the local stations, the networks have NO audience. Making programming available via the net is the same thing as importing different signals.

T'aint gonna happen.

4. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Technically feasible, but I see public acceptance, or lack thereof, as a barrier. For the average (non-technical) person, switching on the TV is so much easier than booting up and navigating to a web site. We do it all the time, but there are millions of technophobes who just want their reality TV spoon-fed to them. :shrug:

The television network/local broadcaster model, like the reciprocating engine, is one of those strokes of genius that far outlives expectancy. Yes, the internet will continue to be a segment of broadcasting, but never, IMO, a major part.

5. van_gogh

van_gogh Mentor

Apr 8, 2004
    In life timing is everything. :)

The same day I post my query BusinessWeek online sheds some light on my questions:

‘NEXT: TV MEETS IP’ Internet technologies promise to soon take couch potatoes to worlds far beyond TiVo. Even phone companies could benefit big-time

An article on BUSINESSWEEK ONLINE (11/23) [http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2004/tc20041123_3012_tc184.htm] reports that a new wave of TV-related innovation called IP-TV is just starting to reach consumers, the article says that just as the service known as voice-over-Internet protocol is poised to revolutionize the phone business by offering a low-cost Internet alternative to traditional phone service, IP-TV could bring Internet-style interactivity and flexibility to your TV.

I promise, I'd never heard of IP-TV when I posted. :grin:

6. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I would expect that by the time the Internet is robust enough to handle the load, the TV would be connected directly to the 'net. It would be able to access the programming and show us the list of available channels. We'd simply add some to our "favorites" lists and never know how the programming was being delivered.

I read an article recently that 100 Mb/s Internet access is available in something like 10-20% (I don't remember the exact number) of Japanese homes. When large numbers of us have that kind of capability, this technology could eventually be the best method of program delivery.

We can currently read newspapers and listen to radio broadcasts from distant cities. The only technical challenge to watching their TV programs is the bandwidth needed, and that will eventually be available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.