Just bought a new Home..Install questions for Cabling

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by melymel96, May 26, 2011.

1. melymel96

melymel96 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Hi everyone. Just bought my first home and I'm moving in this weekend. I've always lived in an apartment or condo so I've had to have cables run through my place to keep my D*.

Now that I'm in my first home I do not want coax cables showing, either outside or running through my house.

What are my options?

For internet service I will either be keeping my existing Cable Internet with Time Warner or moving to Verizon FiOS.

Just looking for some options and what my possible costs would be. In a perfect scenario I would like to have a demarcation point where all the D* cables terminate and then are run behind the walls.

Look at about 4-5 TV locations within the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think it would help if you explained host enlist is currently wired. Coax? Ethernet? Any other kind of low voltage stuff wired in the house right now?

Howisit run now, or what path does it take right now from one room to the next?

Also, how old is the house? Do you have crawl spaces in the attic and under the house?

How much money can you spend on this endeavor?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. melymel96

melymel96 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Well its currently wired for cable coax. There seems to be a small attic. It's a two story house. Sorry I dont have that much detail. I dont pick up the keys until Saturday. House was built in 1998.

4. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    A few terms:

HOME RUN CABLE = Each wall outlet cable runs to the area of the ground bond without splitters or other connections.

SPLITTERS = OK to distribute signal to other TVs but NOT to run signal to any receiver.

STACKED CLOSETS = A cable route from attic to crawl space / basement. Once under the first floor the cable can be run to the ground block.

SURFACE WIRE SYSTEM = Exactly what you stated that you do not want. This is included in the FREE Directv installation.

CAVITY WORK / WALL FISH = Running cable inside walls. Sometimes difficult, sometimes not. Often expensive or not possible.

DISH LOCATION = Near the main ground bond and cable entrance point. A clear line to the SW is needed here.

DIPLEXER = Something NOT to use with CATV systems & internet. This component is often confused / used incorrectly because it looks like a splitter. Also called a signal combiner, it alows several signals to share the came cable. Works well with OTA & Sat signals. Directv signal run on the same cable with CATV internet or programming will work but will kick you off the internet.

DEDICATED CABLE = What you need to run ONLY your CATV internet. Whoever shows up first get to use your existing cable. The late guy gets to run new cable to all receivers.

Anyone else?

Joe

5. melymel96

melymel96 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Thanks Joe. That was really helpful. So here's another thought. Lets say there is an existing coax in the living room and directv taps into that, but for a HD DVR I need to connections. How would they resolve that?

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are two basic technologies for distributing DirecTV signals to receivers. One we will call "multiswitch" and the other "SWM". With SWM, you only need one coax to a DVR to feed two tuners. With multiswitch you need two coax.

SWM is the preferred, standard, installation for 5 or more HD tuners (a DVR having two, a receiver having one). You should be okay with a single coax run.

7. melymel96

melymel96 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Very very helpful guys. Thank you for all your help. If I can get away with a single coax then I should be ok.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Also, to expand a bit on what Carl6 correctly stated; The SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) CAN use splitters. It was designed to be compatible with exactly your application. It requires a dish with a SWM LNB (thing on the end of the arm) and a SWM splitter. It would allow your CATV internet to be independent. You could need to run another line if the first was assigned to your internet use.

Joe

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And to also expand on that... If you are getting WHDVR (multi-room viewing), you will get a SWM install no matter how many tuners you have.

- Merg

10. melymel96

melymel96 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone. They are coming out tomorrow to do the install. 6 Receivers total. 2 HD DVR's, 3 HD Receivers and 1 Standard DVR. They are doing the whole home DVR as well.