Just canceled DIRECTV since 2000

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gio12, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2019 #1 of 15
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    AT& tried to charge me $186.75 for a phone that I paid off last year. Short story, I said I will cancel DIRECTV then. Then they tried to add another year on my contract (up Feb 2020) and even said its on the website. They said sorry you added another year last month. I said for what? they could not say. Just as a courtesy, we will waive any fee. So I said fine and good riddance!

AT&T cellular 1988-2019
    AT&T Internet 1988-2017
    DIRECTV 2000-19 (including the ex-wife's account)

I am FREE of AT&T until something changes. Going to try Hulu this week as my kids have it and love it. Then will try Youtube TV and see what I prefer.

Thank to everyone here through the years for help you provided and the great knowledge.

As I leave... F@CK AT&T!

Rich, 242424 and jimmie57 like this.
  2. Nov 8, 2019 #2 of 15
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
  3. Nov 8, 2019 #3 of 15
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Sad part, I never wanted to leave ANY of my AT&T services. But the issues, lies, crappy customer service just was too much.
    I had my bill in front of me saying that I was up on Feb 2020 but they claimed it changed last month. The ONLY thing I did was get ride of the Premiere PP and downgraded to the regular PP.
    Could that have triggered an extra year? That's asinine.

I only quit as they said I owed $186 for a cellphone I paid off. You can see on my bill, it was paid off via the credits they gave me on how the NEXT plan worked. They did not care and I could not find an email form last year saying it was paid off. So I said if you're going to charge me, then I am completely leaving.
    Best part, they were waving the $345 cancellation fee so I could cancel. This is NOT the AT&T I knew, the one my sister worked for, for 21 years and NOT the DIRECTV I new since 200.

4. Nov 8, 2019 #4 of 15
    scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Its not what you did,
    When ATT and Directv merged computer systems some data was messed up.
    Dot get me started else I will start talking about how

my Wireless plan when to $600 when it was $232 for unlimited with Two brand new phones.
    What happened was the computer put it in as two separate unlimited accounts one phone on each account.

They they charged me for NFL Sunday ticket on Directv and a 2nd one for the NFL Streaming only plan for double the price.

Good thing Visa helped me with the dispute on the billing as ATT did not think anything was wrong

5. Nov 8, 2019 #5 of 15
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Another complainer blaming DirecTV for something that is the posters fault. You're telling us they randomly charged for a phone after a year? I'm guessing it was probably on your bill the whole time and you never paid attention? And seriously, but how do they know you aren't lying? I'm going to try that with my mortgage lol. Anybody can call up and say they paid something off. Besides, didn't they fix it?

compnurd likes this.
  6. Nov 8, 2019 #6 of 15
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Nope and you are DEAD WRONG!
    ATT Next program is a mess!
    I purchased a phone on BOGO and the next program. i made payments for 12 months, then PAID OFF THE PHONE. The phone was even unlocked because it was paid off.
    So how its works, since ai paid it off, they still bill me but issue a credit for it. Screwed up billing system.

That’s why I have 9 months of bill credits, clearly marked the PDF bills but CSR does not see them?

So AT&T again let a 19 year customer leave for $187.

i walked after 30 years of cellular because AT&T would not give me a bogo on a new phone. Guess what Verizon basically did so I left. Now a month later, AT&T fixed their bogo and offering it on upgrades. Well a month too late and I am saving $30 a month and better coverage/service.

So in a months time, AT&T lost $235 a month from me and over $300 when meal DIRECTV discounts expire. Now I save a total of $60 a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Nov 8, 2019 #7 of 15
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Overseas CSR'S don't understand and don't care what your issues are. AT&T Office of the President is the only place you can resolution to many problems. Complaints to BBB will get their attention also.

Sadly the situation seems to be getting worse over time not better. They have turned into a very arrogant and badly run company for their customers.

8. Nov 8, 2019 #8 of 15
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, your first problem is that you signed up for AT&T cell service. Anybody could have told you it is overpriced vs. pretty much everybody else. Same as ALL AT&T services. They just got fined $60M for their scammy cell promotions.

9. Nov 9, 2019 #9 of 15
    techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Actually the only thing they got fined for was their original Unlimited data plan didn't have any restrictions placed on it at the time of sale. After they originally discontinued their Unlimited plans the first time they began throttling grandfathered customers.

Ok so I'm just trying to make sure I understand. You originally had a BOGO promotion, made 12 months of payments on a phone and paid off the phone.

First you said you quit AT&T Mobility because AT&T told you that you owed $187 on a phone. (Here and Here) Then you said you quit AT&T Mobility (here) because you wanted them to give you a new BOGO promotion and they said no. Then you disconnected DirecTV because they told you that you owed $187 on a phone.

So while I hate doing this I feel compelled to because you have left some holes in your story. (Note: I am a former Verizon Wireless subscriber and current AT&T Mobility subscriber so I have understanding of both companies.)
    1. Did you pay off the remaining installment plans for both the BO (the one without the credit to offset the installment plan charge) and GO (the one with the credit to offset the installment plan charge) lines?
      1. If not which phone did you pay off? Was it the Buy One (BO) line or the Get One (GO) line?
      2. Outside of your existing BOGO promotion did you have any other lines from AT&T on AT&T Next?
      3. Which phone did the AT&T try to charge you the $187? Was it the Buy One or Get One?
    2. If you didn't pay off the GO phone (the one that receives the monthly credit to offset the cost of the installment plan), are you fully aware as per the terms and conditions for AT&T and Verizon that you must keep that line active with the same device for the entire duration of the promotion or you will forfeit any future credit for disconnecting the line (or even upgrading the device) before the end of the promotion?
      1. Note: AT&T and Verizon require you to keep the same device active on the GO line for the entire duration of the promotion or you will forfeit any remaining credits. Under no circumstances can you upgrade the device early. It can only be replaced with a like model in the event of damage in accordance with AppleCare +/carrier insurance.
    3. You mentioned AT&T would not give you another BOGO which was a reason for leaving. I have some questions about this as well.
      1. Did you ask about the new BOGO promotion before or after AT&T informed you there was a remaining balance of $187 on a phone?
        1. After you were told you were ineligible for a new BOGO promotion (for whatever reason) did you ask about cancelling your service then you were told about the remaining $187 balance you owed a phone?
        2. If you answer before or no to the two above questions can you clarify how were you advised you owe $187 for that phone?
      2. Were you trying to upgrade two existing lines?
        1. Note: Both AT&T and Verizon require you to add a new line to get a BOGO promotion. You can upgrade an existing line and add a new line or add two new lines but you can't upgrade two existing lines unless otherwise stated. Currently neither AT&T or Verizon offer BOGOs for upgrade/upgrade scenarios.
      3. Were you trying to use the line currently receiving BOGO credits in order to get another BOGO promotion?
        1. Note: With both AT&T and Verizon if you have a line that is currently receiving credits as part of a BOGO promotion that line can't be used as part of another BOGO promotion until all credits have been issued.
        2. Note: You can use the BO line (the one that didn't receive credits) as part of another BOGO promotion as long as the GO line is a new line of service.
      4. With AT&T were you on an Unlimited plan? If not, were you okay with switching to an unlimited plan to get the BOGO?
        1. AT&T currently requires customers to be on one of the following unlimited plans to get a BOGO: Current Plans: Unlimited Extra, Unlimited Starter, Unlimited Value (available through CLG only) or Unlimited &More Premium Grandfathered plans: Unlimited &More, Unlimited Choice, Unlimited Choice Enhanced, Unlimited Choice II, Unlimited Plus, Unlimited Plus Enhanced or Unlimited Double Play (this was the plan that initially required DirecTV or U-Verse TV) (CLG has the ability to move existing subscribers to Unlimited Choice if needed)
        2. Verizon's current BOGO offers (according to their website) requires you to also have the BO and GO lines on one of their current Unlimited plans. With them you can mix and match which Unlimited plan you want on each line.
    AT&T and Verizon have a lot of the same policies when it comes to promotions. Of course Verizon will give you a BOGO your a shiny new customer with new lines of service. Wait till that BOGO is over and you want new phones and ask them for a BOGO they will tell you no unless your getting a new line of service.

compnurd likes this.
  10. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Yeah back in 1998. My sister worked for them and I have been very happy with them until about 3 years ago.

11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Ok.

2 years ago I bought 2) iPhones on BOGO. The free won, I made payments for 11-12 months. I then paid off the balance. How the NEXT program works, even though its paid, I get billed monthly and given a credit to off set it. That was fine with me.

This September my kids wanted/needed new phones. AT&Y showed a BOGO. I called and after going through 5 links, BOGO only on an added line.
    Spoke to loyalty dept, you name it. 7 hrs, phone, chats, Twitter and NOTHING.

Verizon gave me a deal so I left.
    I get my last ATT bill and I was being charged the $187 for the phone I paid off. When they claimed I did not pay it, I asked what my DIRECTV cancel fee was. Knowing I was up in Fed 2020 and should be $20 a month. Was told $345 and a year was added and ATT/D* could not tell me why!! I was looking online and said 2020. As a “courtesy” the $345 was waived so I can quit. They did and programming was shut off. As she cancelled me I thanked her and said I am signing up for Hulu now and add me to the 1.6 million subs who cancelled last qtr or how many this qtr.

Hope that helps. Unfortunately the whole NEXT billing has changed and why my payment cant be found and no idea why I was given a $20 credit monthly.

I will look at bank records and then get my money back

12. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    Yes, on ATTs unlimited plus with HBO for 3 lines. I lost HBO with Verizon and dont care. Cheaper now and I can get service in my house. Guess what, when Verizon wont bogo, I will jump to another carrier and will wait until Nov when everyone gives a phone away.

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Okkkkaaaayyyyy….. soooo... to recap:

* OP signed up with AT&T cell which is well known to be the most expensive cell service out there
    * OP wanted new phones and at the time AT&T was only offering him BOGO on new lines
    * OP went to a different cell provider to take advantage of a NEW CUSTOMER promo
    * OP claims he was charged $187 after a YEAR -- sounds made up imo, like I said, it was probably on your bill the whole time
    * OP claims the DirecTV web site says his contract was up in 2020, but DirecTV CSR claims he reupped his contract

Sooo… basically you left an overpriced CELL provider because another company offered you a NEW CUSTOMER promo which is basically the same deal with every company out there -- new customers always get better promos -- but you came on here to rant about DIRECTV???? and the title of this thread is about how you hate DIRECTV?

I don't even see a valid complaint about AT&T in your story, much less one about DIRECTV, like I said, new customers always get better promos from EVERY company out there :rolleyes:. Not sure what any of this has to do with DIRECTV. DIRECTV doesn't sell cell phones.

My prediction for next week? Someone will post a thread about how they cancelled their DIRECTV because they smoked 20 packs of Marlboros a day for 40 years and got cancer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  14. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    One you can’t read worth a CRAP!!

I signed up for AT&T/Cingular/Bellsouth Mobility cellular in 1998, 19 Frickin 88!!!!

I called AT&T because there promo ONLINE said iPhone on us. After 3-4 links through the site the small print said I need to add a line. i didn’t NEED a new line. AT&T in the pst was very loyal to long time customers. Do you know you can still get a subsidized phone via a 2 year contract?
    I asked if they would match Verizon, said no so I left. Well guess what, a month or so later, I get an email and their website would give me wanted now. Well too late.

Yes, I paid my phone off and found the bank charge. So AT&T owes my $187

Yes, i hate DIRECTV/AT&T.
    Since they would not fix my bill for the phone, I said I wanted to quit. i have my PDF bill and a screen shot showing 2020 as my contract ending. I moved in feb 2018. So yes, they LIED about adding another year and could NOT give me a reason why the extra year was added, NOTHING!!!! So I cancelled and they were happy to waive a $345 fee, but not $187 to keep me?

I guess it seems they are letting ANYONE not paying full price to leave. I was happy to stay past Feb 2020 as overall I am happy with the TV service, NOT ATT CS anymore. They did NOT CARE and off I went.

So please, go TROLL someone else. I have caught AT&T lying and screwing me and have proof that I will forward to a Management side who is calling me back.

See AT&T blinked with me on the cell side. So I left and THEY lost. Especially as a month later they are desperate and offering what I asked. DIRECTV blinked on TV and off I went. Along with what 1.5 million subs last qtr? Yeah, Its me you troll!

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You have made your point. We're done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.