Just canceled my DTV order. Are any CSRs compentant?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by opfreak, Dec 22, 2009.

1. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008
    Finally made up my mind to switch to DTV. For me its always a numbers game, and the stars aligned that DTV was going to win.

I was going through my AMEX discount ($200 gift card), which should combine with all other discounts. ($26/month, bonus $100 visa).

I called the number, and everything seemed to ok, the CSR even allowed the a referal discount.

As some may know, I tired to setup my account online to redem the rebates ($26) before installation (tommorow am), but the orginal CSR managed to both miss spell my name, and email.

Today I was reading over all the terms, including the rebates, and decided to call and verify.

Well low and behold: CSR says there no extra gift card, no referal, might not even get the AMEX rebate. Can't do anything.

So, ~12 hours before install, I only could cancel.

Question stands, are there any CSRs (not just DTV) that know what they are doing?

I was looking forward to the switch, but glad I called before I was commited.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes. Try again.

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    The First Line CSRs read from a script but as you go upward in the chain of command you get more competence and then I go with "Customer Retention" because they have more understanding and authority and seniority to circumvent problems so they can retain customers.

4. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008
    Probably too late now. the CSR I had, didn't sould like she gave too flips. I asked what could be done, it was basically nothing, or for me to cancel. she was like thats up to you. So I canceled.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    I would call Directv back and ask for the "Customer Retention Department" and explain your situation and I would bet that they can reverse it and get you the satisfaction that you want. Their purpose in life is to gain and keep customers by eliminating customer churn.

If it were me I would call them because what do you have to lose by doing so? Nothing.

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    There are retention CSRs at DirecTV who don't know much about what their doing either.
    Their primary training is to throw rebates at you or cut you loose. Whereas Account Services (a dept. you won't reach on the phone) is responsible for contractual agreements, etc.

So while Retentions may be able to offer the op similar credits to what the OP was seeing, don't expect anything extraordinary.

Also, check the terms & conditions of each one of your discounts as 99% of the time their is a 'no stacking' notice, which basically says you can't claim multiple discounts (where the people have or not is beyond the point).

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    First off retention is to stop current customers from disconnecting. He's not even a customer yet so that department really won't be able to help.

Secondly new customer offers are very specific. Each of them require you to do certain things. Combining new customer discounts is few and far between. The referal program must go through the referal number. The Amex sounds like the best option for you because it's $200 instead of $100. However if you can get the visa gift card and the referal it's the same.

New customer promotions cannot be applied at any time except at the time of sale. Therefor if something is wrong with the order and you are supposed to get a specific promotion you would need to cancel and replace the order.

8. bpjones

bpjones Cool Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Although you are very likely correct that the retention folks have more leniency to make things happen, in this case it seems like bad advice. This guy isn't even a customer yet- why would he speak to the cancellation department? Getting the company to honor sales incentives is the job of the front line salespeople. Assuming they're valid incentives that the customer is eligible for, then document the heck out of you dealings and move forward. I personally wouldn't proceed without written offers of any and all discounts you intend to use.

9. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I've referred a number of friends and family. I've never been able to stack any rebate on top of the $100 referral. New customer discounts, yes, rebates, no. You have to call the specific referral phone number to get that credit and they aren't authorized to give rebates like Amex. The reverse is true if you had to call a specific phone number to get the Amex rebate.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wonder if ALL the fine print on the offers was read. Often, there is a little line stating "may not be combined with any other offer". In addition, some of the "third party" offers require you to call a special 800 number to sign up for DirecTV because specially-trained people are at that number who know about the offer(s) and how to apply them.

I can't believe that you were scammed since all the new customer offers are described in fine detail in the small print. Unfortunately, many people don't read the "fine print" which is mandatory nowadays before agreeing to anything.

DirecTV has treated me very fairly when it comes to "special offer" screwups-and I've had my share since being a customer for 9 years now. They always made good on the offer and many times even threw in a bonus like 3 free months of a premium channel for my inconvenience. But the key is not to call in and yell at them or be obnoxious. Of course, that goes without saying no matter who in the business world you are dealing with today.

11. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Is there any sort of web site, web page, or discussion thread that lists all the various offers, discounts and rebates ?

I seem to remember seeing a sticky here years ago about that.

Some relatives may end up with DirecTV (see previous dish identification thread) and getting the best deal is particularly complex for DirecTV...

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    There is a chance that the days before a holiday and with major storms screwing up installation schedules that you could catch someone who had been on duty for many hours.

Know that the Directv contract is it. All verbal adjustments are subject to adjustment.

Call back again and just wait till they get it right. Ot there is DISH or your local cable company.

Joe

13. Max Mike

Max Mike AllStar

Oct 18, 2008
    I just do not get this attitude.

He talked to a DirecTV CUSTOMER SERVICE rep who he asked specific questions and the rep gave specific wrong and misleading replies... How about the DirecTV CUSTOMER SERVICE rep actually know the fine print and stop misleading or outright lying to customers to get them hooked.

When you ask specific questions of a company's REPRESENTATIVE it should be expected that company's REPRESENTATIVE give correct answers. As a matter of legal course a company's REPRESENTATIVE making promises and the falling back on fine print will not hold up under contract law, the problem with that is most customers do not record conversations and it is just to expensive to fight it out. Verbal promises in contracts are legally binding the problem is proving that.

Why do some people find it acceptable for a company's REPRESENTATIVE to give a customer wrong answers and then for the company to dishonestly cry fine print. This practice is not only unethical it is not legal.

14. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Mike,

I say this often. Directv does not lie! However, when you discover the actual situation it may not be what you expect. If you go back to the original statement and walk through it you will see that there is a scintilla of truth. A staff lawyer can beat you to death these bits of reality.

Besides...this crap isn't going to court. You agree to arbitration when you sign up.

Read the code: up too = few now and more sometime.
    upon recipt = if you actually fill out the coupon and mail it in we may loose it

It goes like that.

Joe

15. Hotscot

Hotscot Legend

Sep 25, 2008
    A CSR once asked me to lie regarding the problem I had with my HR21. And she represented DirecTV.

I called with a technical problem and because she couldn't find it in her database she asked me to state that it was a different, and unrelated, existing problem.

This as well as many additional incidents lead me to agree completely with what Mike says above.

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes,

Technology has produced a new class of lie. With the need / hope to classify all activities into data that can be manipulated comes the down stream need to fit complex actions into the system. For example, if your picture goes out and you have a thunder head in the area and you call DTV for a service call...they will not do it because of storms in the area. Then if lightning hits your building and blasts all wire in the neighborhood you call your insurance guy. Directv would not be involved. But if your insurance guy discovers your installation was not grounded Directv would (maybe) send you a new box & try to back charge the installation company for failure to follow specifications.

So which button do you push? 1. temp storm outage 2, lightning damage 3. defective installation ?

Push fast...there is another call waiting and you are being evaluated!

Joe

17. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    actually he talked to a sales rep, there is a difference, and that difference is that sales reps get a commission and they will and do say whatever the customer wants to hear , just to get the sale. I'm not saying it's right , but that is what happens. As far as the customer calling back and getting no help, well that's because once an order is placed, you then get routed to a customer service rep, not a sales rep. New orders cannot be changed by csr's, the order has to be canceled. (well technically they can,(somewhat) but good luck finding a csr that knows how to do that.) I was one of a very few csrs that knew how to do this. But even with finding one, only so much of the order can be chaged.

18. kstuart

kstuart Icon

Apr 25, 2002
    Is there any sort of web site, web page, or discussion thread that lists all the various offers, discounts and rebates ?

I seem to remember seeing a sticky here years ago about that.

Some relatives may end up with DirecTV (see previous dish identification thread) and getting the best deal is particularly complex for DirecTV...