Just finishing my two year "Price Lock" Anniversary - What Now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by fideauxdon, Jul 20, 2019.

1. fideauxdon

fideauxdon New Member

Jun 16, 2019
    In about three weeks , I'll be with DirecTV for two years. I'm currently paying $128 per month for TV (Choice Package), Internet and Home Phone. I expect a large increase, which I'll dispute, but a bigger question is even if they don't increase the bill, will I be committed to them for one or two more years, and be required to pay a monthly penalty if I cancel? If there's a penalty, I'll cancel for sure, switch to Spectrum, and as soon as Spectrum raises my rates I'll sign up with DirecTV again as a new customer.

2. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I would expect your bill to go up after any sweetheart deal. Call them and whine! Maybe they will lower the price of the package or offer you a cheaper package. Worth a try!

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You will be out of commitment and regular price. If you call and negotiate a new deal they sometimes offer you choices. Sometimes a good deal with no commitment and a fantastic deal with a year commitment. But if it’s that good you’d probably be fine with another commitment of a year.

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    DirecTV doesn't have 2 yr price locks. They have 2 yr contracts. Once the contract is over, you're not under a new contract unless you do something that triggers a new contract. I.e. make a deal that puts you under contract (pretty unusual) or activate or upgrade a receiver.

When your promo rate expires, if your account is in good standing, you can generally negotiate it down by calling the retention department.

Just a friendly tip, if you call with an attitude of give me free stuff or I'll cancel, they'll generally just cancel you lol. Gotta play their game ;).

sparky27 likes this.
  5. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    My experience was that i called them with a very polite attitude saying the service was great but unfortunately the new rate is beyond my budget so unfortunately I am going to have to cancel. The response I got was a considerable discount for 12 months. I was also told I could call back after that period and they would extend it for another 12 months. They first tried to convince me that I could down grade the package but I told them my other cable option offered me most of the channels that would be gone plus what was left for a lot less. That When they transferred me to retention and started talking discounts.

I guess I was convincing in my attitude as I really did want to cancel.

6. fideauxdon

fideauxdon New Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Thanks, Guys (or Girls):
    All of your replies were very helpful. Dreadlk; You mentioned that you really did want to cancel, and that's where I am right now. If I cancel, though, my only options are to sign up with Spectrum, and that's why I'm currently with DirecTV, or to "Cut the Cord", where I have to do a lot of work like picking an Outside Antenna and having it installed, and paying around $200 to get a device that will allow my Spouse to record her shows in advance. It may be that if I can get over the hump with DirecTV without getting locked into another contract, I'll have a year to Cut the Cord. I'm sort of cautious about where AT&T is going, but I feel the same way about Spectrum and Dish Network.

7. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Good luck, I suggest you explore alternatives before calling. If you find something better it makes the wheeling and dealing with retention dept a lot easier, you may get an offer that makes leaving not worth it.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm gonna have to make a call pretty soon or I'm gonna be paying for the ST. Just typing this statement upsets me.

Rich

9. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I would certainly make the call. IMHO the odds are very high that any outcome will be a savings on your bill. How much is the real variable.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I have to make the call. I want to go back to the lowest level of the PP and I have to make sure I don't have to pay for the ST this year. I used to enjoy dickering with the D* CSRs over credits but ATT has taken all the fun out of that.

Rich

11. fideauxdon

fideauxdon New Member

Jun 16, 2019
    I finally made the call(s) with excellent results. The only downside was that the two persons I spoke to couldn't hide the fact that they couldn't claim that English was their native language. Do they do this on purpose? Spoke to Customer Service on Wednesday for about 30 minutes until I felt the need to request that we do an online chat, instead of my trying to decipher what the person I was talking to was saying. After that, I chatted for another hour with the same person. I still had some problems, because I thought that she was only pricing the DirecTV portion of my contract, when I wanted one price for DirecTV, Internet and Home phone. I finally got a commitment IN WRITING for a $15 DECREASE in my expiring contract, and printed out the Chat. However, right after I did this, the Chat expired. She didn't call me back, so I called the Customer Retention number yesterday, and told them that I wanted to cancel. I told them that the $65 that they wanted to increase my monthly bill by was not affordable, and I was planning to switch to Spectrum. The person then looked at my record, and told me that a $65 decrease was applied to my account after my previous Chat, and that price would be in effect for 12 months. That sounded good to me. However, the change should go into effect on 8/1 and I should get an email documenting the change on 8/3. I'll remain nervous until I see the email.

12. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Can you look at your account online? Discount should show as recent activity. Mine does.

But to clarify, I'm still on a legacy DirecTV account. My July discount just negotiated was in my account already when checking for it. Mine starts in August billing also but already noted as recent activity.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk