1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got HR-34-lots of questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Beckzilla, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    Since Solid Signal did not send a manual with my my new HR-34...

1. no audio digital fibre output? Why?
    2. already having problems with banner not working right on local off-air channels-when I go channel up or down the banner comes up for less than a second and goes off then a few seconds later the channel actually changes and the banner does not come backup.
    3. noticing that channels change a little slower than my HR-24. when I go channel up or down the banner changes immediately but the channel change takes a few seconds. native and scrolling are off.
    4. want to hookup HR-24 in another room due to alot of recordings. what all do I need to hook to it and can I see my recordings on HR-24 through the HR-34. Is that what whole home DVR is?
    5. what all does whole home do for me as I live alone and dont have a real need to watch different shows in different rooms

I should also add that I have all my TV's hooked to my main DVR (HR-34) through a component splitter so all TV's see the same thing through component cables which I just noticed I can use all HR-34 options like PIP on any of my 6 TV's. Dont know if this changes anything as far as whole home setup

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Manuals are no longer included in any new DIRECTV box if I recall.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Coaxial to optical adaptors are cheap and easily available. Agreed it was eliminated to lower the manufacturing costs. Here is an adapter from Amazon for less than $17.

You will need to set up a DECA/SWiM system to have the HR34 and HR24 interconnected. Then you will be able to play programs on either DVR on the other one. That is the advantage to you of Whole Home DVR.

I will let somebody better at DECA/SWiM hardware tell you what you need.

5. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    if the 34 is up and running then he already has swm bc that is all the 34 will run on ( same for the h25 ). All you would need to hook up the hr24 in another room is a swm 2 way splitter. considering you said u had 6 more tv hooked up all being able to watch the hr34 the easiest way of doing this would be to use the splitter behind your tv ( put the splitter on the sat coax, jumper from splitter to the hr34, and the other leg of splitter to the coax coming to here from the other room. I didnt mention the power inserter there bc i dont know were it is in your system but can be placed multiple ways, just remember if it is after the splitter to make sure it is on the red (power pass) side of the splitter, but your pi can also be placed before the splitter so just place it according to your setup.

Sorry just noticed you said they was hooked up through a component cable splitter. but either way still a simple install. all you would need for the hr24 to be hooked in a second room would be a swm 2 way splitter and coax going to the second room,

6. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I already have the 2-way splitter from installing SWM on my HR-24. So it looks like I use the tap off of the splitter that is not needed on the HR-34 and run coax to the room with the HR-24, right? Do I need ethernet run to the HR-24?
    Anybody have any insight on #2. I already tried resetting the AM-21 to no avail.

7. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    OK, I mistook the SWM power supply with a SWM splitter. To hook back up my HR-24 do I just use a regular splitter on the cable output of the power supply and run second cable to HR-24?

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If all your TVs are hooked up so they see the same thing, maybe you can save yourself some wiring by leaving the 24 in the room right next to the 34? If you want the ability to watch what is on your 24 from your 34, then yes, you need Whole Home. And once you get the wiring done, you need to get it activated through DirecTV and it will cost you an additional $3/month.

10. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Just got off talking to DTV. But just wanted to confirm it here. If you own the HR34 you wont have to pay the $ 20.00 extra fee a month called the Advanced Service. Its only on leased units. Anyone else done this ?

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm fairly certain that is not true. No matter if it is owned or leased you will still have to pay the advanced receiver fee. That fee is the HD Access fee ($10), DVR Service fee ($8), and Whole Home DVR fee ($3) bundled into one fee, which ends up saving $1/month.

Owning receivers does not change the monthly fees with DirecTV. The only way it can save you money is if the owned receiver is in a room that doesn't get used very often. If that is the case you can deactivate an owned receiver, and only activate it during the times that you need to use it. For example if it's on a summer porch that only gets used 6 months a year, you could call DirecTV and deactivate it the other 6 months of the year and save the $6/month mirroring fee during the months you have it deactivated.

If you deactivate a leased receiver you have to send it back to DirecTV. So every 6 monts you would have to pay the up front lease fee again, and sign a new 2 year contract. That doesn't make much sense so people usually just pay the $6/month year round in those cases.

12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Not true, you will pay the fee regardless.

13. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    Owning your own receiver does get you out of paying the leased receiver monthly fee. It did for me.

14. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
  15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That's not true for everyone. Either there was an issue with your billing (and you were on the right side of it), or you are speaking of the first receiver on the account. The first receiver does not have a mirroring fee. The second and subsequent receivers so.

16. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007
    I was speaking of the first receiver. This is the first time I had more than one active on my account.

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What model? When? Your experience may not extend to others.

Few if any new DVRs are in the wild to be owned.

18. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    they also charged you extra for the DVR , but if you had the Premier account the fee was waived.

19. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The 1st receiver doesnt contain a lease fee only the 2nd and any after that would contain the fee. If you own the receiver you still pay the fee it just will be listed as additional receiver fee instead of lease fee.

20. Beckzilla

Beckzilla Legend

Oct 28, 2007