1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got the update for the MRV beta

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnner1999, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    As a long time TiVo user which one feature me and my wife have missed with DirecTV... Multi Room Viewing or transferring of shows. And well after playing with DirectV's attempt at it in beta form, what are my thoughts?

Well in beta it seems pretty stable and no performance issues. Only slight speed loss I see is when hitting the 'LIST' when you have it combined with an other units list (I have two - HR23 units) it takes maybe a 3-5 seconds. In the grand scheme of things its not noticeable.

Playing a remote show in SD seems to play instantly; an HD show seems to take maybe 2-4 seconds. Again more then good enough. Fast-wording does work but has slight lag in the first few seconds before it catches up.... again not bad all.

Its cool how you can delete content from either DVR in the list.

I'd like to be able to schedule and manage shows/to-do-list from either location. If it can and I haven't figured it out - please let me know LOL :)

An other COOL feature (also found on RePlayTv which well is DirecTV now...) that would be SO SLICK!!!! is conflict resolution feature where two tuners are already scheduled and I add a 3rd or 4th show - the system looks at an other DVR in the configuration and asks or just schedule the show on that system... I know they have a whole room server hardware piece in the future but it seems this can be solved with current hardware and even software.

At the end of the day - I'd pay about $3-5 per month in total (not per unit) and be HAPPY....

Besides TiVo having slick cool graphics - I don't see a need any longer for it (BUT if D* could add a YouTube view that would be KILLER)

Oh I'm using three MOnsterPower Powerline Ethernet adapters in my home (1 on a D* DVR, 1 on my Mac Mini and one plugged into my router....) and no issues again with watching TV.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You can't schedule or manage recordings on the remote DVRs, at least not yet. You will be able to with networked Receivers, though.

3. johnner1999

johnner1999 Legend

Aug 30, 2003
    define networked? as I am using the ethernet jacks on both of them. Or do you have to wait for the DirecTV kit (which uses coax)

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You are networked. At this time a DVR can only schedule itself, however if youhave a receiver (H21, H22) that is using MRV you can schedule from the receiver and pick the DVR to record on

5. knoxbh

knoxbh Legend

May 1, 2002
    o.k., I give up. I have 5 Directv DVRs (3 of them HR20-700). What do I need to do to use the MRV feature of this new release? Guess I am too old (85) to understand some of this new stuff. Really interested in being able to get programs from the 3 HR20s to the bedroom DVR in case someone (meaning me) becomes sick and can't really get out of bed. Any simple help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    All the boxes need to be connected together through a network. Some of us have done this through computer networking equipment, but it honestly may be best for you to wait until it's officially released and DirecTV can network them using coax via DECA. That will be the only method they will officially support. To network your boxes now would mean running a lot of network cable or buying a lot of wireless equipment. I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money on it.

7. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Please be aware that the only DVRs that can be networked and used for MRV are the HR series (HR20, 21, 22 and 23) and the R22. If you want to have MRV in your bedroom you'll need one of these DVRs in the bedroom. You cannot network any R15s or R16s.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.