Just had Sportspack disconnected

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Rob37, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Apr 6, 2020 #1 of 38
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    For the first time EVER that I have been a DIRECTV subscriber (since 1997) I have the Sportspack disconnected. I have been paying the $13.99 along with a regional sports fee of now up to $9.99 and many of the channels in the 600’s are blacked out now anyway. Why pay for the Sports pack when many of the channels are not even available?

Dishdude714, AZ. and dtv757 like this.
  2. Apr 6, 2020 #2 of 38
    schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    Did the same thing about two weeks ago. First time since I originally got DirecTV in 2008 that I haven't had the Sports Pack. I especially enjoy having it during baseball season, but I can't justify paying the extra money when so many of the replays are blacked out, meaning not much of substance is going out-of-market on those channels right now.
    I get it, those are per the individual agreements, and it's part of the deal with those channels. I've shared my opinion on replays before but I'll say it again. If you buy EI, League Pass or Center Ice, you ought to get all the replays of those respective sports in the clear, whether that night or a year later.
    I am leaning now toward getting the Sports Pack again once baseball season starts, whenever that happens. Even then, I might figure out I don't miss it. If Marquee ever joins the Sports Pack, I'm picking it back up at that point regardless of when.

3. Apr 6, 2020 #3 of 38
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Good thought

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Apr 6, 2020 #4 of 38
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    baseball really needs to cut down in market zones. But lots of MLB non game stuff in blacked out.

Yankeeography has blackouts.

5. Apr 6, 2020 #5 of 38
    schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    I agree territorial revamping is long overdue. My area of central Ohio, and really most of Ohio outside Toledo and the eastern border counties, should be Reds and Indians only. The Pirates claim a chunk of the state, too, which makes no sense.
    YES seems to have fewer blackouts than anybody. I don't remember ever seeing a Yankeeography blacked out, nor any of the older replays. I don't think that's the case for any other RSN.

SamC and Dishdude714 like this.
  6. Apr 6, 2020 #6 of 38
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I am not going to add Sportspack to my programming ever again. I only really need it for baseball and I think I would get all I need with just the Extra Innings Package.

dtv757 likes this.
  7. Apr 6, 2020 #7 of 38
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    To each their own. I love the Sports Pack for the college sports it gives and NHL replays.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  8. Apr 6, 2020 #8 of 38
    schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    Totally understand. I do like having the local pre- and post-game shows.
    I also get ejbvt's point. The NHL replays are a nice bonus. Even with college basketball this year, I noticed more games were blacked out than in the past, such as those that aired on multiple FSNs. In that case, I could only watch the game on my local RSN (STO or Fox Sports Ohio, whichever showed that particular game). Those were even blacked out on AT&T Sports Pittsburgh, which we get for the Pirates.

AZ. likes this.
  9. Apr 7, 2020 #9 of 38
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I noticed that the college sports on the "major" FS channels are not blacked out for me, but I do not have a local FS channel. NESN only carries the Boston College events and whatever other ACC ones they can fit, but the audio is terrible and they are usually on the alternate channel. I usually watch on FS South which has never been blacked out.

10. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I do not recall ever seeing a college game of any kind blacked on the sports pack channels.

11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Since no MLB I turned it off for now

And yes sports pack good for college games

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

12. schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    I didn't remember seeing it before this past season either, but it happened with both football and basketball for me several times. Only the major stuff, never, say, a run of the mill women's basketball game or some random lacrosse contest.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It happens quite a bit. The ACC games are often blacked out on some of the "Subchannel" RSNs. The K-State games are now always blacked out and you must watch on the ESPN channel in the 780's or the 790's, unless you live in the FSKC home area. There are several other schools that are beginning to be like that. Sometimes the Big 12 football games must be watched on FSMW and are blacked out on the other channels. It's not that you can't watch it, they just make it a stupid game. I like to watch the lesser college games because the talking heads will replay the major ones all week and for days so you never miss what happened in them. (Except Duke basketball, never miss that, but sometimes they are on the FS RSNs.)

14. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Before I had Sportspack removed the other day since I have been home and noticed that many of the channels are blacked out for much of the day. Any Baseball games that were Replays out of market were blacked out any NBA game replay that was blacked out. If you pay for those channels it looks like the programming should be available except for when Sports is going on and you have to subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings or NBA League Pass or NHL Center Ice to receive the LIVE Games. It's not worth $14 a month to just get a bunch of black screens.

schmave1 likes this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Pro sports have always been blacked out. Even with the league package, the replays for MLB, NBA, and MLS are blacked out. NHL replays are not blacked out on FS-channels and MSG. MLB spring training games are available with the sports pack when they are live, but not the replays. Preseason NHL and NBA used to available but it is not anymore. A couple RSNs air simulcasts of NFL preseason games and those are blacked out, too. MLS is blacked out live and replay, except your local team.

The purpose of the sports pack is the pre- and post- game shows for those with the league packages if they want them, the college sports I outlined above, and the bonus channels between 600 and 628. There is also pro lacrosse and things like that on the RSNs that is not blacked out. You also occasionally get bonus local territory with certain teams with the Sports Pack, like when I lived in NC, with the Sports Pack, we got all the Reds games on FS Cincinnati and all the DC United games on NBC Sports Washington. Without the Sports pack, those channels were unsubscribed.

This is always changing of course, and this is valid based on before the corona shutdown.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    AZ. likes this.
  16. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I do get some of the MLS replays with the sports pack it seems to depend on the team and channel.

17. schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    The only MLS replays we get in Columbus are Crew games. I don't remember seeing any non-local replays cleared.
    For several years, Sports Pack was the only way to get Pirates games around here, but I still have AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh despite having gotten rid of the Sports Pack. All in the clear except Penguins games.

18. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Called yesterday dropped the RSN sports pack, and asked to stop billing me for MLB season...
    I saw the commercial for HBO for $9.99 a month for 12 months so I added that....IMO thats a fair price for HBO...
    God knows all the free time I have now!

19. schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    How did it go with MLB? Will they re-add EI for you once the season begins?

20. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Cool, do you notice a pattern as to which? I have occasionally tried to tune in just to see if I could I never have been able. In VT, I only get the Revs replays. When I lived in NC, I got the Atlanta replays and with the sports pack, the DC United. I have tried to tune into every team that is on traditional TV, but not often. Judging by your name, you would more likely to try!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020