1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just installed HR34 and C31 today and have 2 questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by levineeh, Nov 24, 2012.

1. levineeh

levineeh New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Both actually relate to the C31-700

My setup is HR34 on one TV, C31 on second TV, and I had pre-existing CCK (wired) that is Ethernet connected.

These 2 receivers replaced an HR20-700 and an HR24. All the wiring was already setup as I had a Swm8 setup and whole-home dvr was active and worked well under the old setup.

So here are the questions:

1) how do I get the software version on the C31 to verify it received the latest version? If I go to the info screen or the "more info" screen it is nowhere to be found - it just says "Receiver: C31/700" and no software version appears. Same is true if I hold down the INFO button on the remote. On the HR34 I certainly see software version and I know it is the latest (the installer forced the update).

2) I cannot delete shows from the playlist using the c31 client. It says "this show can only be deleted from the (name I assigned to the H34 location)". Also if I go the hr34 and under the whole home menu if I go to status it ways "whole home is not authorized on this account". I called customer care and they said they absolutely could not add the feature to my account, and the after several minutes of consultation they said the inability to delete from the c31 was a known issue and they couldn't do anything more for me. So - is this all correct? I can watch any live TV, program shows to record, and watch recorded shows on the client. The only thing I can't do is delete them.

Thanks in advance for insight on the above.

2. viclovr

viclovr AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    on the c31 press and hold the select button for 10 seconds to get the software

3. levineeh

levineeh New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    And it is the Nov 9 C31 update
    How about question 2?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Without a MRV fee on your account, the C31 can't delete.
    If you could add one of your old DVRs back on your account, their system could then add the MRV fee.

5. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
  6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    yeah that $3/month is a real killer on my bill.
    For new customers, the ARS fee covers HD, DVR, & MRV fees and is a dollar cheaper.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Well if your bill is $100 that $3 represents 3% of your bill!

Just sayin'!! :)

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yep, I'll need to skip one cup of coffee a month to offset that. "just sayin"

9. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Its not the point. When you add up the ridiculous fee's that you have to pay. Say if you own the equipment and already have service and they charge you 6 bucks for every TV ! My house back with cable TV had 12 TV's hooked up thats $ 72.00+3+10+7 all BS fee's total of $ 92.00 in extras ! That doenst include the Package you pay for to Have TV ! Remember back when cable boxes first came out they charge you $ 1.00 on the bill for the remote ! Thank god universal remotes came out ! Now I have 2 recievers and 10 TV's that have to watch the same channel ! for a family of 5 ! :mad:

10. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    You don't HAVE to watch the same channel. You could get more receivers. Sure, it will cost you, but so does everything in life. Is it really necessary to have 10 or 12 TV's?

It's kind of like complaining about the cost of raising kids when you've chosen to have a whole bunch of them.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I remember back when you didn't need a cable box and paid about 20 bucks a month.
    I remember back when... [OH Hell, I'm an old fart that can remember when a nickel brought a good piece of candy, over what you got for a penny].

FWIW:
    I priced out what it would cost me with cable, for what I have with DirecTV and it would be over 30% more.

The 3 dollar fee for MRV just falls by the wayside these days.

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    All members in this household think it's the best $3 spent each month with DirecTV. The convenience for WHDS/MRV everywhere in the home is well worth it to those of us living here.

13. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    hmmm lets see !

TV's are in my :
    Family rm
    Rec-room
    over the pool table
    Garage
    Sun rm
    wood shop
    Master bd rm
    Bd rm-1
    Bd rm-2
    Bd rm-3
    Wife's sewing rm
    Kitchen

Yea ! And you want me to unplug and move the reciever with me Room to Room ? :nono2:

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You're the one that wants 12 TVs for five viewers.
    If you want "free TV", use an antenna, "like in the old days".

And this started with a bitch about $3/month. :nono:

15. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas

That sounds about like my setup... but I have receivers in every room and they all get used, so the $6/box fee is worth it considering TWC here in our area charges over $17 for each DVR you put on your account... this was last time I checked... could be higher now...

16. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Im just saying we went backwards ! Had the comfort of viewing TV in most of my rooms in my house and now we dont unless you want to be silly and waste money for the Programming that we already pay for. Be no different like the Internet in your home. Every PC should pay an extra $ 6.00 to go online. or any phone you have. Remember they used to charge you extra per phone you had. FCC broke up that BS. Cant wait till enough people get pissed off and the FCC does the same to TV

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Cable is the same way unless you're talking analogue channels which are being removed more and more anyways.

The whole conversation is moot anyways as you can't have WHDVR with only a Genie and Clients and if you have a Genie and other HD receivers you're going to want WHDVR anyways. New customer's have an all inclusive fee.

Clearly in your other posts you enjoy posting about your lifestyle so it appears you have chosen to have an inconvenience in TV watching to help support other aspects of your life. No reason to complain about it when it's a simple fix to choose.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    We've gone "backwards" from the days of having a TV in one room, and antenna on the roof.
    We've gone forward with having more than one TV, but for close to 20 years, it's cost more for each TV to be connected to "pay TV service".
    Would everyone like to get free receivers and not have additional costs? sure, but after 20 years, I doubt things will change.

You don't mind buying 12 TVs to have the convenience of watching TV where ever you want, but don't want to pay $6/TV, so go back to when it was free, and get an antenna, or cheap basic cable.
    OH Wait, you want HD cable channels, and to view your recordings from any room in the house. How the hell is this going "backwards"????

19. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    I share your frustration. The fees are obnoxious. Imagine if your internet provider charged you per device on your home network. Or charged extra every month if you wanted "whole home printer" capability among your computers and a single printer. Ouch. Or your water utility per plumbing fixture in addition to a base gallon allotment or metered usage.

Good thing DirecTV wasn't established in the 1950s or 1960s or they'd still be charging their earliest customers for receiving their programming in color while offering new customers "free color for life." :D

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't care for the added fees anymore that the next person, but compared to my other choices DirecTV is cheaper for the same service. If it wasn't, I'd change.

I'm not sure this comparison to the internet is the same.

Sure you have one level of service and you can use it anyway you like, within the limits of your bandwidth.
    If you want more bandwidth, you pay extra.

With DirecTV you have a program package and the first TV/receiver is free.
    Since you can watch the same channel more than once at the same time, this might be closer to having on computer using your full internet speed and wanting another computer to also have full internet speed, so you'd pay more for this.

If DirecTV was the only player charging these fees, then that would be one thing, but since every other player is charging these fees and in almost every case, charging more for them, this seems like we're just urinating into the wind over these fees.
    Find someone that doesn't and move to them.