1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just installed my SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Dec 18, 2009.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    :lol:Hi All
    My wife got me a SWM kit for Xmas, a LNB3, 4 splitter and power inserter. It was about 35F this morning when I took out the old LNB3 4 wire and put in the SWM stuff.
    We got the SWM kit from Ebay for $39.99 and it was all brand new. It installed with out any problems and powered up without a hitch.

I took Sat. signal readings before and after and found that the SWM signal was 2 to 4 points higher then the original setup. All in all, this is a very easy conversion even in the cold.

SSTV
    since 94

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Congratulations! Enjoy!

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    good job, well done. I think swm is best thing since sliced bread :)

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Ah! T-shirt weather! :lol:

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    exactly, thats 38 degrees warmer than here this morning :)
    -3 with a -30+ wind chill over night :)
    would hate to have to do fittings in that temp.

6. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Sliced bread is greatly overrated. I mean, all you need is a decent knife and a few seconds and unsliced bread becomes - voilĂ  - sliced bread. SWM, on the other hand, now that is something truly useful! :D

7. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    The H20 on SWM does not update any guide data. After a reset, the guide shows two hours of guide data then "REGULAR SCHEDULE" for every channel.
    No update in the guide after 24 hours.
    Reset, unplugged, RBR and a good cussing did not help. Looks like its CSR time.
    HR20 works fine.

8. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Yeah, I would just call in and try to get that old H20 replaced.

FWIW, H20's have always been problematic on SWM systems, but I would not think that the Guide data would have anything to do with that.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you rerun sat setup on that unit after swm installed?

10. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Was the H20 current on software before installing the SWM? I thought they had to be at certain level of firmware before they could work on the SWM.

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    No I have not ran the SAT setup. The info screen shows a slimeline 3 lnb and I recieve all the channels in my package with very good numbers.
    The firmware is the latest as of 12-15. I forced a firmware download yesterday and that did not help..
    I called Directv and played the reset game and other script items for a CSR that really did not have a clue but tried hard to resolve the problem. I asked to be transfered to the next level but the CSR did not know how to transfer the call.

I recalled and got to the next level of CSR and explained that I had already pulled the
    H20 power plug, checked the Sat signal readings, RBR reset with the last CSR and this does not resolve the problem.

The CSR asked me to check the readings from the 119 Sat. This surprised me as a 3 LNB in the Dallas area uses only the 90-101-103 Sats. At this point the CSR told me he would "kick" it up to Engineering and they would resolve it in the next 24 hours. If this failed, they would send out a Tech.

SSTV
    since 94

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you should rerun the sat setup anyway. only takes a few minutes.

13. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    OK, I ran the Sat setup and guide problem was not resolved so it looks like another call to D:(irectv.
    Thanks for all the replies and I will update this post when its resolved.

14. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    FYI, it's 99-101-103, and it's the same way across the entire country. ;)

15. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    :sure: I was just 9 off

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The H20s came out long before SWM was in it's final stages of development and have been "troublesome" for SWM, from the beginning.
    Is it even seeing the SWM?
    Does it also report the SWM firmware on the info screen?
    Some have had some luck with their H20s by changing where they've connected them to their SWM8.
    Higher/lower power levels have gotten some to work.
    Having tested SWM in the early days with my H20-100 & H20-600, my -100 played nice, but my -600 didn't.
    The general thought was to move to the H21 which does play nice.

17. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi VOS
    Yes the H20-100 shows the SWM firmware in the info screen and during the SAT scan. This is a LNB3 SWM so the only hookup I could change is on the splitter.

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I have never had an H20 so I am only speaking from what I've read here. I think you need to get the H20 replaced.

19. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I wouldn't reset or do anything else just wait until tomorrow and see if the guide gets updated.

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So it is on the SWM, but your guide data hasn't updated.
    The guide data comes on its own SWM channel [974 MHz].
    You might want to look at the signal levels [if you "-" from the 101 SAT, you should see the SWM screen] and list your SWM levels.