1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Installed - Not loving the HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Simmsfan, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Simmsfan

Simmsfan Cool Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Just had two HR24-100's and two h25's installed. Happy with the process and how simply everything seemed to work together. The guys left and everything, MRV, VOD, normal functions were working.

Then I had a software download on one of the HR24's. All locals, VOD and the internet connection were gone. Reauthorized and locals are back, VOD shows up but nothing works, and my internet connection says connected, but Youtube, VOD and Online Scheduling aren't working. I'll assume that time will fix these issues.

I'm also not a fan of the DVR (although I may figure these things out):

1. Can't choose a show to record at a specific time, other than manually. For instance, I don't want to record Top Chef at it's normal time but at midnight, every Thursday. I'd set it to record repeats, but I'll get every repeat that airs.

2. Every recording I set up as First Run is recording a bunch of repeats. You also can't search a show and easily record the new episode, since it's not labeled as such. Not being able to record a specific time or day is a problem if the new episode modifier doesn't work.

3. I recorded The King of Queens, and the recording showed up in both TKoQ's folder and the How I Met Your Mother folder, and was, somehow, a recording of HIMYM. If I deleted from one folder, it was deleted from the other.

4. I was able to set a recording on the web, but hasn't transferred to the DVR. Another possible wait and see since it's only been a few hours since the update.

5. The Name and channel number show up in the recorded and to do sections, but only the channel shows in the search results. Especially for a newbie, that makes it difficult to quickly decide what needs to be recorded since no matter what settings you use, they only apply to the channel you choose. I wish there was a first run on any channel feature.

I know people make fun of the Scientific Atlanta DVR's but I thought is was great in it's simplicity. I'm sure I'll grow to like the HR24, but I must say my initial impressions are not positive. It just seems... clunky and unnecessarily difficult to navigate. My biggest peeve is the recording of repeats, and if that's just a temporary glitch with new recordings, then some of the other things I miss won't be an issue.

Jason

2. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    Try menu/manage recordings/manual record/record recurring/channel xxx/when:every thursday/start xxx/duration xxx/set manual.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On the clunkiness, keep in mind there will be a major rewrite of the UI, we should start seeing it Oct/Nov. hopefully it'll be an improvement for you. When I switched from tivo I didn't like it either but they actively develop updates.

4. Simmsfan

Simmsfan Cool Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Thanks. The manual record does give me most of what I'm missing, but I wish those exact options were available by clicking on a show in the guide so I wouldn't have 10's of manual recording in my list.

5. Simmsfan

Simmsfan Cool Member

Dec 17, 2008
    I'm glad to hear about the update. For me, a few little changes would make a world of difference.

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    1. If you want to record the later showing because of a conflict at the earlier time, the DVR will do this automatically. You do not have to set it to record repeats. Sometimes (often), the later showing will not be displayed in the ToDo list, so that can be scary. However, mine have always correctly chosen a later showing.

2. This problem will workitself out in time. The DVR always records the episode that you use to set up the series link, no matter if it is first run or repeat. So, you should only have to delete one episode per series link. My speculations is that this is done in case the guide data is not fully downloaded and the first run flag isn't correct yet.

3. I've nevr seen this before, Nor do I recall hearing about anything like this here. My guess this is a random bug that you won't see again. If the network changed the guide data at the last minute, perhaps it happened at a time that confused the DVR. If you wish to report the bug, find the issues in the DIRECTV HD forum here on this board. There will be an issues thread for this release. It is monitored by DIRECTV.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Thanks for that info, I was wondering about that since I wasn't seeing some of the showings marked as to be recorded. For instance, the Primeval marathon coming up. I set the series to 'both' and it only showed to record the 1st one and not the rest of them.

I just got installed and love my HR24, but coming back from Dish I have to rethink how the recording functions work between the two.

8. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Well, this was specifically referring to later showings when the earlier showing has a conflict. Also, the ToDo list updates in the background, so it can take time between setting up a series link and the episodes being selected. If you don't have a conflict, and it hasn't been selected to record after 24 hours I'd manually select the episodes.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Anytime someone transitions to a new HD DVR...regardless of the provider...there's a learning curve. Many have gone through that, only to find the end result is well worth the road traveled.

As someone else mentioned...don't get to "expert" at things quite yet, as there may be other changes forthcoming - all improvements.

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It would be Nice if Directv would give us the Option or Ability to Name the Manual Recording so we woud know what it is when we are perusing the Playlist.

Also, if Directv would give us a TTIME Parameter for using when setting up Series Links then you could Specify what Time and Day you wanted to Record.

We have asked for this for over 2 years now and it is on Steve's Wish List for Directv.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I think your biggest issue is you just need to wait for the unit to build its database. Guide data, actor info, posters, etc take up to 48 hours to completely download and index. During that time the unit may seem slow to you.

1. That's what the Series Manager is for. You put the show you want the later recording of at a lower priority than another show you want to record at that time. Put Top Chef at a lower priority.

2. Every time you setup a Series Link the first instance of that show is recorded whether it be repeat or first run. This is regardless of what type of SL you setup.

3. Sorry, can't explain that one. An oddity, maybe guid data issue.

4. Part of the guide indexing.

5. Part of the guide indexing.

12. Simmsfan

Simmsfan Cool Member

Dec 17, 2008
    As expected, things have settled in today. VOD is working and the guide is fully populated. I had issues when switching from ReplayTV to the SA8300 too.

I love everything about how the system as a whole works. Any DVR issues I have I'm sure I'll find a way around. After playing around some more today, the only thing I do miss is the ability to record from the guide with a for specific time. The issue I mentioned with Top Chef is not conflict related. I don't want to record it at the regular time because it would be the second recording and I couldn't watch live tv. A manual recording in this one instance will alleviate that concern.

Like hdtvfan said, since things will be changing I won't sweat the details.

Jason

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, with the HD GUI coming in October as promised by the CEO of DIRECTV, all DVRs/Receivers should be operating at a Faster Pace so let's be Patient until October and wait and see what has been Promised!!! :D

14. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009

Have you tried the jump to date/time in Guide? (press the Yellow Guide option button while the main Guide is open)

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    From your mouth to God's ears, but I'm not sure how pushing around more HD GUI pixels won't be a bit more processor intensive than pushing around today's lower SD GUI pixel count. :scratchin

If things do speed up, it will probably be because processes other than the GUI were optimized. :) Just my .02.

16. Simmsfan

Simmsfan Cool Member

Dec 17, 2008
    That's a cool feature, thanks! That will make it much easier to get around and find a specific show, and with a manual record, I can get what I want. Let me rename a manual recording and I'm set until the update.

17. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm with you. The claim of higher speed and HD GUI is counter-intuitive. Unless a bunch of code that had previously been spaghetti is suddenly optimized, I don't see how this is going to work out, especially for horsepower starved units that already dominate the user base.

We will see, but I can't say I'm even hopeful at this point.

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I've got a lot of money to bet that says the HD GUI will Speed it up so much you will not be able to Bitch anymore and Correcting Bad or Inefficient Code is what is being done and that will Speed things up considerably.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    From all the talk of it, it really does sound like more than a new skin on top. Total rewrite of the code may be pushing it a bit, but sounds like quite a difference.

20. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    How much are you willing to bet that this all will happen by October? :rolleyes: