Just left DirecTV and feel like I jumped ahead a decade...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by andygradel, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jul 13, 2019 #1 of 110
    andygradel

andygradel New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Swedesboro, NJ
    After spending the past 10 +/- years as a DirecTV customer, we finally made the decision to jump shift after getting fed-up with the worsening reliability. (Almost embarrassed to say that the fact we lost our signal on a clear day during the end of the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest was the last straw...)

Originally envisioned ourselves going with Sling, YouTubeTV or one of the other OTT services. But, after weighing spinning up my own DVR for locals and then discovering that all of the streaming services appear to only offer 2.1 (no 5.1 surround? really?), we added Comcast/Xfinity to our geeky requirements spreadsheet and were shocked that they came out on top. We're saving $40 month over our old, negotiated, DirecTV rate and what we were paying for standalone internet PLUS getting a ton more.

But, money aside, I can't believe how happy we've been since signing up last Sunday night. The "self install" kit showed up on Tuesday and it took me less than 10 minutes to swap things out. Didn't even have to call and speak with anyone to activate.

What's really blown us away, though, is the hardware and overall experience. That is where I feel like we've been missing out for years with DirecTV. The "X1" platform is slick and the box flies. The recommended shows, on demand that actually works (DirecTV would buffer constantly) and the fact that we can get RedZone Channel as part of the sports pack instead of haggling to not have to pay $350 for Sunday Ticket are huge upgrades. Plus, our kids love the voice remote while I'm loving using Rokus with the Xfinity Stream app in 2 of our lesser-used rooms instead of paying $20 a month to rent boxes for them.

I'm only a few days in, but I honestly can't believe the experience gap between DirecTV and Xfinity. If AT&T doesn't have some huge rebrand/update to the platform waiting in the wings, as opposed to just shifting the current experience to streaming, I can't see how they'll be able to compete head-to-head with Xfinity a few years down the road, especially if they can't do it on price alone.

I was all in on DirecTV for years and years, but after less than a week with Xfinity, I honestly can't say why.

2. Jul 13, 2019 #2 of 110
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I think att is working on an android tv GUI or new box

I'm glad u use apps cause comcast is compressing picture down to 720p for all channels

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Jul 13, 2019 #3 of 110
    NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    You're a perfect example of why AT&T is launching AT&T TV next month. They know that neither of their current cable TV platforms -- DirecTV satellite or Uverse TV -- is up to the task of competing in the 2020s. One of the main things they'll tout about AT&T TV is a customized 4K HDR Google Android TV box with a slick UI, access to lots of streaming apps (more than X1 has), and a voice remote with built-in Google Assistant. And they'll automatically include HBO in with every channel package, to be expanded to the new HBO Max streaming service instead of just regular HBO, when HBO Max launches early next year.

4. Jul 13, 2019 #4 of 110
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Comcast X1 is fine if you don't care about PQ. Unless you live somewhere they haven't fully upgraded the system yet, going to 3 Mbps CBR 720p for all HD channels is a huge step down in PQ from Directv, or even from Dish.

5. Jul 13, 2019 #5 of 110
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How does the PQ compare to what you were getting with D*?

Rich

6. Jul 13, 2019 #6 of 110
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I'll see what the packages cover, but I don't really care how slick the UI is if the channels I want aren't there. For me, today, it would be more expensive / major hassle to put together a streaming only plan that gets all my channels. History, NatGeo, Discovery, Science, DIY, HGTV, etc. don't seem to be all that popular for streaming packages.

7. Jul 13, 2019 #7 of 110
    NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Well, yeah. I completely agree. Since you brought it up, I'll repost here my SWAG (scientific wild-a$$ guess) as to what the channel packages will look like for AT&T TV.

Three base packages: Select, Plus and Max, priced at $30, $50 and $70 per month (or $10 less your total bill if bundled with AT&T Fiber/Internet). All three packages will automatically include the new HBO Max on-demand streaming service (when it launches in early 2020), plus live channels for HBO, HBO Family, HBO Latino, and (probably) Cinemax. Bundling discounts will also be offered when AT&T TV is combined with certain AT&T Wireless plans.

AT&T TV - Select will include the 35+ channels currently in AT&T Watch TV. This package does not contain locals or all-sports channels. But at some point (perhaps not at launch), AT&T will offer a network-based OTA TV tuner (much like Sling TV's AirTV 2 black box) that can stream your free local OTA channels into the AT&T TV user interface, whether on the AT&T TV box or in the AT&T TV app (when used at home and connected to the same wifi network as the OTA tuner).

AT&T TV - Plus will contain all of the channels, including locals, that are currently part of the Plus package on DirecTV Now. In addition, it will also have A&E, History, Lifetime, AMC and BBCAmerica.

AT&T TV - Max will contain all of the channels, including locals and regional sports networks (RSNs), that are currently part of the Max package on DirecTV Now. In addition, it will also have A&E, History, Lifetime, AMC, BBCAmerica as well as Viceland and IFC. In addition, Max subscribers will get to choose one add-on Extra pack at no additional charge. (Besides RSNs, Viceland and IFC, the other cable channels that will be in Max but not in Plus are sports channels Big Ten Network, CBS Sports Network, ESPN News, ESPN U, FS2, Golf, Longhorn Network, MSG, MSG+, Olympic Channel, SEC Network, YES, and entertainment channels CMT, TV Land, and Paramount Network.)

Nearly all of the local affiliates for ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in the top 100 largest TV markets (and many in the next 100) will be available in the Plus and Max packages when AT&T TV launches nationwide this fall. Many Telemundo, CW and My Network TV affiliates will also be included around the country. I also believe that PBS channels, whether in the form of live local stations or a live national feed or some hybrid of the two, will also be included in AT&T TV this year.

There will be 4 different Extra packs, priced $5-7 each, that optionally can be added to any of the three base packages. (Your first Extra pack is free if you have the Max base package.)

Discovery Extra Pack (featuring all of the channels owned by Discovery)
    Discovery
    HGTV
    Food Network
    Investigation Discovery
    Animal Planet
    OWN
    TLC
    Travel
    Cooking
    DIY (to become Magnolia in 2020)
    MotorTrend
    Science
    Discovery Family
    Discovery Life
    Destination America
    American Heroes Channel
    Great American Country

Sports Extra Pack
    MLB Network
    NBA TV
    NHL Network
    ESPN Goal Line
    ESPN Bases Loaded
    ESPN Buzzer Beater
    ESPN Classic
    Altitude Sports
    Tennis Channel
    Stadium Plus 1
    Outdoor Channel
    Sportsman Channel
    World Fishing Network
    Ride TV
    TVG

Entertainment Extra Pack
    Sundance TV
    We TV
    Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
    Hallmark Drama
    OWN
    AXS TV
    HD Net Movies
    MGM HD
    Lifetime Movies
    Pop
    Logo
    MTV Live
    MTV2
    MTV Classic
    Reelz
    TV One
    Fusion
    Game Show Network

Family Extra Pack
    Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
    Hallmark Drama
    OWN
    Nicktoons
    Teen Nick
    Baby First
    The Weather Channel
    Game Show Network
    UPtv
    FYI
    Crime & Investigation
    Justice Central
    Outdoor Channel
    World Fishing Network
    Sportsman Channel
    RFD-TV
    Cowboy Channel
    Ride TV

As mentioned above, AT&T's own HBO and Cinemax will automatically be included in every AT&T TV plan. Showtime, Starz and Epix will each be available as a la carte add-ons to any base package. Spanish-language and International packages, as currently offered in DirecTV Now, will also be available as part of AT&T TV.

All packages will come with 20 hours of TrueCloud DVR, which can be expanded to 120 hours for an extra $10/mo. Packages allow 2 simultaneous streams but up to 2 additional streams can be purchased for an extra $5/mo each.

Select live and on-demand content in 4K and 4K HDR will be streamed in those formats, as available, for no additional charge (assuming your network connection supports the increased bandwidth necessary for those advanced picture formats).

Customers *may* be required to take and activate the AT&T TV box (i.e. Osprey C71 Android TV streaming box) on their account but there will be an AT&T TV app for all popular devices that allow customers to watch at home or out-of-home on their own devices.

SO...if all that above turns out to be right (unlikely, but we'll see), you'd be looking at $50 for Plus, another $7 for the Discovery Extra Pack, and another $10 for the upgraded cloud DVR (which I assume you'd want). So that would be $67/mo, which would include HBO as well as the upcoming HBO Max expanded on-demand service, plus all your major locals, plus 4K HDR on select content. If you have AT&T home internet, the price to add that TV package to your bill would go down to $57/mo. Not bad, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. Jul 13, 2019 #8 of 110
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Not looking forward to the Gaines taking over the DIY channel. Not a fan of them. I doubt they will keep any of the existing DIY content.

9. Jul 13, 2019 #9 of 110
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Based on your SWAG, I also came up with $67/mo. It wasn't clear if you meant 2 simultaneous streams for viewing or 2 simultaneous streams for recording? Or would you be able to do unlimited simultaneous recordings?

I definitely wouldn't do AT&T internet since at my address they only go up to 100Mbps for like $55/mo I think while I get 1Gbps on Cox + Phone for $109/mo.

And that's assuming they don't have any dumb limitations like poor DVR like controls, trick play, etc. Or restrictions on bypassing ads, etc.

Right now I have a HR54 + Preferred Xtra and I pay $53. And that'll go up to $73 in Sept. $67 - $70 vs. $73 is a wash in my book. My bill has been in that range for YEARS, so my promos keep getting re-upped. If the gravy train shuts down, I'll explore my options, but for saving a few bucks and hearing all the bad about DTVNOW... well...

10. Jul 13, 2019 #10 of 110
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and they have less HD channels then Directv.

11. Jul 13, 2019 #11 of 110
    NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I'm basing a lot of my projections on where things currently stand with DirecTV Now, and then applying some basic logic looking around at how major competitors work (Comcast Xfinity TV, DISH, Sling TV, YouTube TV), plus existing channel categorizations on DirecTV satellite.

Anyhow, DTV Now has always allowed 2 simultaneous steams (of live, previously recorded or VOD material) on any supported device, in or out of home. I predict that AT&T TV will do the same. As for recording, that's all done in the cloud. You can record as many things simultaneously as you like. One guy using DTV Now posted that he tried recording more and more simultaneous channels until he got up to 18 and lost interest in further testing. But it always worked.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on what your speed needs are. In most areas, including where I live, AT&T Fiber's standard price for symmetrical 100/100 Mbps internet is $50/mo, gateway (modem/router) included (and you have to use it, although you can put it into some kind of bridge/DMZ mode if you insist on using your own router). 100 Mbps is more than enough speed for me. That's honestly enough to stream 4K HDR on 5 screens simultaneously (and that's one more screen than I own).

I'm currently on Comcast standalone broadband with a tier that regularly tests at 71/6 and I never have any problems with streaming 4K HDR. I also work from home and regularly send/receive, upload/download fairly fat files. It's fine. I'm only paying $30/mo for this first year, then it goes to $40 next year, then up to the regular $70, at which point, I'll likely just switch to AT&T Fiber (or probably their reseller, Toast.net -- all their plans are uncapped). I honestly don't know what folks do with 1 Gbps of download speed. I'll always take extra speed at no additional cost but, honestly, for me, anything over 50 Mbps downstream is gravy.

One thing to note is that if you have any speed tier under 1 Gbps with AT&T, there's a 1 TB data cap. (Cox puts a 1 TB cap on all their speed tiers, even their 1 Gbps tier, I think.) But if you add DTV Now to any AT&T Fiber/Internet plan, they waive the data cap. Guarantee you they do the same thing for AT&T TV.

If you need home phone, you might want to look into Ooma, which I put my parents on years ago. It's worked well for them. The Ooma Telo box is regularly $80 and comes with free basic nationwide phone service for the life of it. You just have to pay taxes and the 911 fee every month. For my parents, that comes out to about $5/mo. If you need advanced features (including call blocking/screening), they have their Premiere plan for an extra $10/mo.

So if you went with AT&T TV (based on my SWAG numbers) + 100 Mbps AT&T Internet (no data cap) + Ooma Premiere service phone, you'd be looking at a monthly grand total of about $122.

DTV Now calls their cloud DVR "True Cloud DVR," which I think is to underscore that it doesn't put bogus restrictions on you. It never replaces a recording with a VOD version and it never keeps you from FF or rewinding, including through ads. You can start watching a show you're recording while it's still recording. I imagine that the DVR trick play controls aren't quite as good as you get on a local DVR like the Genie or TiVo but will good enough for most folks.

That's fair, although if HBO interests you, or the much expanded HBO Max, then you should consider that you'd be getting all that content for free with AT&T TV. HBO would cost you an extra $18 on DTV satellite. Also, if you do any streaming -- Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu, etc. -- you might want to consider that you can't do any of that on your HR54. Also, I don't think the HR54 by itself can provide 4K or 4K HDR, can it? I think you also need a C61 in conjunction with it. The AT&T TV box will support 4K HDR by itself. It will also have the Google Assistant built in for voice search, channel and app selection, playback controls, answers to general questions, home automation control, etc.

12. Jul 13, 2019 #12 of 110
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    T at my address is 100Mbps / $50 over phone lines I assume. It's fiber to the hub. Plus a 1TB cap.

I was on a 150Mbps (175Mbps oc) on Cox + phone for around low $80ish I think + 1TB cap. I'm currently on a promo rate with them for 1Gbps + phone for $109 + 1TB cap. Kinda seemed like a no brainer. Last month I noticed they had an even better promo 1Gbps + unlimited for like $65ish, so I called and complained and tried to renegotiate my price down. I did get comp'ed the unlimited (which is $50/mo extra lol).

I don't get 1Gbps, more like 900Mbps - 925Mbps, as that's what you'll get in the real world with 1Gbps ethernet due to the overhead. The only test I've found that's even remotely accurate at these speeds is Google Fiber speedtest. Ookla can't test that high seems to crap out at a few hundred Mbps.

I don't work from home regularly, but I do need to RDP in once in a while off hours. So I mostly download fat files. If you assume an average file size of 5GB, you're talking 8 mins vs. < 1 min theoretical, but of course, Cox seems to do traffic shaping, so its more like 15 mins or so vs. a few hours. If you get a really big download, its more like 14GB.

Correct. HR54 requires a client to do 4K. There isn't any 4K content on DirecTV that interests me at this time. I'll re-evaluate if that changes. I avoided getting the HS17 because it was headless and requires 2 boxes for my one TV, so if the new box can do 4K HDR directly, that would be more interesting (if there was content).

I also have my eye on TMobile TV if the DTV promo gravy train dries up.

My parents are considering switching to streaming since they are on Spectrum in a one horse town (as in one provider only) and the package they are on now should seriously be illegal. I have preferred xtra + 1Gbps + phone and they are paying about the same for Spectrum with like 25 channels or less + 100Mbps + phone. I keep telling them to switch to Dish/DirecTV/Streaming, but they still have the internet issue to contend with. I might use them to evaluate streaming options if they pull the trigger, but my dad tends to "research stuff" for years, so who knows when that'll happen. They're on 1080P plasma with wireless N now, so the big upgrade will be a complete gut of everything (tv, avr, hdmi cables, 4k player, etc). Even my mom gets annoyed at his endless research lol... when they were painting the house, my dad researched for about a year whether it was a good idea to paint the stucco lol.

13. Jul 13, 2019 #13 of 110
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    For reference, what model DVR and other equipment from DIRECTV did you have?

14. Jul 14, 2019 #14 of 110
    ronkeith

ronkeith New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I am glad Xfinity is working out for you but when I tried them the picture quality on my 65 inch LG OLED TV was very bad with Xfinity. I am blown away at the picture quality of Directv in my humble opinion no one else can compare with Directv when it comes to overall picture.

ptrubey likes this.
  15. Jul 14, 2019 #15 of 110
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Buy an Apple TV box or a Fire TV device and stream NF and AP content. You will see better PQ than D* puts out. Lots of 4K content on those sites.

Rich

fireponcoal, gio12 and ptrubey like this.
  16. Jul 14, 2019 #16 of 110
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Streaming is going to have much better PQ then DirecTV. If you are talking about traditional providers, currently Google Fiber has the best picture quality.

17. Jul 14, 2019 #17 of 110
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I thought I saw an article recently that there PQ fell off a cliff in the last few years

18. Jul 14, 2019 #18 of 110
    ghostdog

ghostdog AllStar

Jul 6, 2007
    DIRECTV picture quality is excellent.....,

19. Jul 14, 2019 #19 of 110
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Was referring to Google Fiber

20. Jul 14, 2019 #20 of 110
    NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    As others above have noted, Comcast's HD PQ blows chunks. DirecTV satellite's HD PQ was the best I'd ever seen on live cable TV until I tried DirecTV Now on my Apple TV 4K last year. It was even better. Wish I could say how it stacks up to Google Fiber TV, but I've never laid eyes on it, even though they've been here in Nashville for awhile now.