1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered an HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skaeight, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm finally stepping into the HD game. I've got an HR20 on order and am in the process of picking out an LCD panel.

I've been keeping an eye on this forum since the HR20 was released, so I'm somewhat familiar with the product. I also currently have an R15 so I'm aware of the differences between the Directv DVRs and tivos and know what to expect.

I'm hoping the WAF isn't too high on this. She's used the R15 and doesn't mind it, I've already warned her that the tivo will no longer be in the livingroom once we go HD and she seems OK with it.

My main thing is that it needs to record things reliably. Are there still issues with SL recording (such as first run/repeat, just plain missing recordings, etc)? Are the 50/100 limits still in place?

My other main concern is the new 5 LNB dish. Currently I have a 3 LNB dish mounted on the side of the house. Are they not going to be able mount it in the same place? Will it need to go on the roof, or in the yard somewhere? I'd prefer to keep it on the side of the house because its out of the way, but at worst on the roof. If its mounted on the roof, are the concerns there, such as leaks?

Basically any advice people can give me on the the HR20 and HD in general would be much appreciated. I'm excited. I can't wait to watch some baseball in HD.

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes there is still a 50 series link limit. I have not had any problems for the last couple of months with the recording reliability.

3. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Had the same concerns with the roof mount, as my 3LNB was on the side of my house into the facia board.....the footing on the 5LNB is much larger, so it wouldn't fit....I put it on my roof and the installer heavily caulked....hopefully there will be no issues with leakage. Good luck with everything, I actually like the HR 20-100 better than my HR 10-250 Tivo unit, and I was someone who thought he couldn't live without Tivo. Anyway, good luck and I'd say to mount it on the roof or pole mount it in the ground...avoid the side of the house IMHO....the dish is pretty heavy and much larger, plus the stabilization poles need to be in place as well. Yankee and Met games are really nice in HD.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    the "50 limit" seems to still be there [I haven't reached it yet].
    I haven't missed a recording in months..
    You 5LNB dish "should be" able to mount in the same place, if it can attach to the framing of the house.
    Hopefully the PQ will override the WAF problem.

5. zinger1457

zinger1457 Mentor

Sep 24, 2006
    I just switched from DISH to D* (HR20-100), the installer came out last week to install the equipment. He refused to mount the antenna on the facia board (2x6) and since I have a tile roof the only easy option was to put a pole in the ground. My DISH antenna was mounted to the facia and never had any problems but the new D* antenna is much bigger.

6. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Yes, the footing doesn't fit even on a 2 x 8 facia board......you can mount it directly over your siding into the framing, but that might be tough to pinpoint...you'd have to be precise and hit the "studs" on center for any stability, and even then only two of the 4 screws (minimum) would be in the studs.

7. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Are slimline dishs standard now?

8. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes with HD installs. I believe they are still using the 3 LNB dish on standard installs.

9. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    That's good to hear, at least they're a little bit smaller. Currently my dish is into the siding, not into the studs at all (wasn't really my choice, but it's worked). It doesn't sound like that's going to cut it for this. It will be interesting to see where they end up putting it.

10. zinger1457

zinger1457 Mentor

Sep 24, 2006
    Skaeight, watching the Sox and Yanks on HD tonight, pretty impressive. Sox just hit 4 consecutive home runs to take the lead!

11. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    These dishes are quite a bit heavier than the 3 LNBs. Mine is mounted on the side of my house, but I have a brick wall that it is mounted to. No way I would put on siding! :nono:

Let us know how it turns out. :)

12. mrb

mrb Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I too had an HR10 for months after we got our first plasma set. Wife loved the TiVo platform (I did too), but OTA reception of the locals and all the shows we watch was totally non-reliable.
    I monitored this forum for about a month, asked questions like you did, etc...and took the plunge about a month ago. I'd had three crappy R15s a year ago (one after the other as each failed and was replaced) so I was quite suspicious.
    I'm happy to report, however, that I do love the HR20. It's been stable, not a single missed recording, no RBR, and only one screwed up audio on Lost last week which made it unwatchable. (Loud, rhythmic POPPING sounds.)
    I love it, so does my wife since Desperate Housewives is now in crystal clear HD.

13. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Ahhhh yes, the WAF factor... If your wife is used to the R-15, she won't have a problem with the HR-20. The GUI is pretty much spot on.

She shouldn't have a problem with it.

14. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Sound good. Yeah seems really excited about all of it - the new tv and HD in general. Everything is set to come this weekend. I'll post again once everything is installed.

15. skaeight

skaeight Icon

Jan 15, 2004
    Update: The installer is currently installing my dish - it's a slimline. He's going to put it on the side of my house where the other dish was. He thinks it will be ok with the side beams. attached to the house as well.

Also, he brought a HR20-100 (HDMI cable included), which I'm pretty happy about. I like the way the front looks and also that it runs cooler. Can't wait for him to get the dish up so I can see some HD.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My AT-9 mounted in the exact same position as the 3 lnb dish, on the side of the house. Depending on how robust the original mounting position was, the new dish may or may not mount in the same place. (Mine even used most of the same holes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.