1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered MRV from DTV...Replacing my HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by djousma, May 19, 2010.

1. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    That's right! I called DTV today to officially order MRV. Nice lady told me that it was $99 + $49 installation fee for DECA equipment and install. She then explained that my HR20 was not compatible, and that it would be replaced by the installed, with a HR24.

I was surprised to hear that, since MRV beta testing has been working fine on my HR20.

anyway, installer comes out this Friday...

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, the HR20 is compatible, so who knows what you might get (if it is even replaced). Otherwise, congrats on getting MRV/DECA.

- Merg

3. deanconst96

deanconst96 AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    I was able to get mine activated by email but it did take me 3 emails back and forth to convince them to just turn it on even though I am using my home ethernet network. I have and HR20-100 and an HR22-100 and everything works fine. This is from the final email I received.

"Thank you for writing. I am happy to assist you. I understand your concerns about the Whole Home DVR feature.Please know that to enjoy the very best of our Whole-Home DVR service, we request that customer's upgrade to our SWiM Network for optimal usage of the Whole-Home DVR service.

While we understand that you have made a substantial investment in a non-SWiM home network, we can activate the Whole-Home DVR service at its normal price at $3.00 per residence. However, we will be unable to provide additional support (troubleshooting) specific to the Whole-Home DVR Service. In addition, by adding the service without upgrading doesn't include DECAs and Band-Stop Filters nor receiver swaps.

We believe that the upgrade is a substantial value and provides the very best, fully supported, Whole-Home DVR Service experience. We strongly encourage you to take this upgrade offer so that you can receive optimal usage of the Whole-Home DVR service.

However, I have added the Whole-Home DVR service to your account."

4. Stewpidity

Stewpidity Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    they told me the same thing about the HR20, I believe getting the replacement(HR24) for the HR20 will extend your commitment, pretty sure the HR20 is compatible, but there is more than just adding the DEcA, i believe there are some filters that need to be installed. So its probably easier for Directv to just tell people with HR20's that it needs to be replaced.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The nice lady was mistaken and overstepped her authority.

HR20s are compatible with MRV.

Some HR20-100s have issues with DECA adapters and *may* be replaced by *something compatible* if the installer can't resolve the issue, which they usually CAN resolve, and are under pressure to resolve.

IF the problem can't be resolved, and the receiver is replaced, it could get replaced with ANY model, from another HR20 all the way to an HR24.

If you have any other expectations, you may be in for disappointment.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR20-700 isn't the same as the HR20-100 [which does need some more items]
    There is just some "bad info" still floating around.
    "The real info" is the H20 needs replacement, but all HR20s work.

7. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    CSR made a note that the HR20 is to be replaced. If it adds 2 years, it doesnt really matter, not like I am going anywhere else....

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That "note" may get overwritten on the work order though.

9. Ginny32

Ginny32 New Member

May 2, 2008
    st. louis
    I too was told that they would replace my HR20 with an HR24 and that I had to agree to the two year extention, which I did, but when they got here yesterday, that wasn't in the work order so the installer said he would have to charge me $199 to give me a HR 24. He called DTV and they told him the HR24 was not authorized. So I called retention... i was spitting mad... we had our hearts set on a HR24 by then. Retention finally agreed to sell us one for $149.... This gave us a bad feeling towards D now.... I love MRV.

10. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    From the DTV pending orders screen:

Item Description Price Quantity Total
    Whole-Home DVR Service 1
    DIRECTV DVR - Swapped Free 1 Free
    Professional Installation $49.00 1 $49.00
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit $99.00 1 $99.00
    Tax $5.94

EDIT: I just received email confirmation of my appointment, and it too, lists the DVR Swap as no cost.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    From you sig: DirecTivo DVR40 modded for 383 hours
    This kind of looks like what is going to be swapped and "I'd bet" with a R16.

12. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    Nope. she told me that would cost $$. I only keep that around for the movies that are on the HDD.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Good luck", I'm only trying to suggest what could happen.
    As I'm sure you've read, there is a big disconnect between what a CSR says/notes and what the computer generates on the work order and then even what the installer has on the truck when he comes.

If this wasn't: DIRECTV DVR - Swapped Free 1 Free
    but was instead DIRECTV HD DVR+ - Swapped Free 1 Free
    It would look more hopeful to me.

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The TIVO will be a doorstop after the upgrade anyway. It's not going to work on the SWiM. Your CSR was wrong.

15. Vinny*

Vinny* Legend

May 17, 2008
    I was told the HR20 was compatable. I am getting an HR24, keeping the HR20 as a replacement for one of my H21's as long as I send the H21 back. I was also able to get the $49 installation fee waived. My installation is this Sat from 8-12. We will see how it all pans out.

16. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I also just ordered the whole house upgrade. The CSR told me that I have a special offer on my account for a $49.00 HD box upgrade. It's really a swap, 1SD box for 1HD box.

My current HD-DVR is a HR22 and they said that I could use that box. I already have a Slimline3 dish so I don't think that has to be upgraded???

It also sounded like they were going to upgrade my other 2 SD boxes for free

I have a WB68 that I think will have to be upgraded???

I would really like to upgrade the HR22 to a HR24 and it also sounded like they were will to do that but I'm not sure.

Scheduled for Thursday at 12:00PM.

Anything I should look out for or ask for when they arrive??

17. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    Already have SWM installed. Tivo is connected to the two legacy ports.

18. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Who installed the SWM-8? If you did, you will probably have to convince D* not to replace it with a SWM LNB or their own SWM-8.

19. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007

I installed it. They can feel free to install their SWiM 8, and I will keep mine as a "spare". Can't install a SWMLnb because I am running legacy Tivo off the other ports on the SWiM8.

20. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    If D* offers you a SWM-8, I say take it and sell your to recoup some of the cost or keep it as spare. Or, if they offer you a free HD DVR to replace the Tivo, I'd say take that and whatever SWM they want to install.