1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just signed up...D* is confusing me.Need Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JMS57, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1 of 26
    JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Hello All,

New member here and need some help. I ordered D* last week. I ordered the premium package, all HD channels, nba league pass, 2 hd dvr's, 1 hd receiver, and 1 standard box. I am not very technical, but after reading the forums here, I requested a swm slimline dish from them. When I received my shipment, instead of the swm slimline dish, they sent me the 5lnb dish with 4 outputs. I have been back and forth with them this past week trying to get the swm slimline dish because I only have one rg6 cable output in each room and did not want to have to run more cables or drill holes in the walls to be able to use both tuners from the dvr's.

I received a call from D* today, and they told me that they were going to ship me the swm 5 kit. I don't believe that this is the swm 5 lnb, but a different kind of kit that will work along with the dish that they have already sent me. I am just trying to confirm if this swm 5 kit will allow me to use all of the equipment listed above (incl both tuners in each dvr) without having to add any cables or drill holes. Any help would be much appreaciated. They are going to be shipping it out to me today, but if this won't work with what I want, I need to call them back asap to request something else if need be. Thanks!

2. Nov 3, 2008 #2 of 26
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "It should be" a SWMLine LNB. What is your SD receiver? even if they were to send you [the now obsolete] SWM5 multi-switch, it would work for you.

3. Nov 3, 2008 #3 of 26
    JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Yeah. I was trying to get the associate from customer care to tell me what the model number is, but she stated that it was just listed as "swm 5 kit." My standard receiver is a D12 per the box.

My main concern is that I only want to have to use the one existing cable outlet in my rooms to run the boxes. So I'm assuming whether it is the swm lnb or this swm 5 kit, that my hd dvr's will only require one cable connection to operate both tuners correct?

4. Nov 3, 2008 #4 of 26
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "SWM" is the key, and you should be fine. If you do get the SWM module, then you'll have four wires from the dish to it and single wire from it to your receivers.

5. Nov 3, 2008 #5 of 26
    JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    VOS, thanks for replying back to my inquiries. You've been a great help. Since I have a total of 4 receivers(total of 6 tuners), if I do end up with the swm 5 kit, do you know if there is room for more receivers via that kit? Sooner or later I plan on adding at least 2 or 3 more hd dvr's. Or would I end up having to get some splitters? I looked up the swm 5 kit online and read its description on solid signal's website, but its a little confusing to me.

First it says: Provides five (5) independent channels for supporting up to 5 DIRECTV satellite tuners

Then: Number of Input Ports: 6 Satellite & 1 Terrestrial /SMATV
    Satellite SWM Module Output Ports: 6 per SWM Module

6. Nov 3, 2008 #6 of 26
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That sounds like a SWM5 which only supports 5 tuners (SWM5s are quite rare, however). A SWM LNB supports 8. If you need more you will require a standard Slimline LNB with multiple SWM8 (fed with 4 power-passing splitters from the dish).

7. Nov 3, 2008 #7 of 26
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are a few variations of SWM, one of which I do not think is available in any form - which was a 5 channel SWM multiswitch. Let's assume you can't/won't get that. A very few of these were released for testing when SWM first became available.

What is left is the SWMLine LNB assembly, or the external SWM Multiswitch. Both of these support a maximum of 8 tuners. A DVR has 2 tuners, and a non-DVR receiver has 1 tuner.

If you expand beyond 8 tuners total, then you need either (a) two SWMLine dishes or (b) a regular 5-LNB dish with two or more external multiswitches. In the latter case, the multiswtiches can be a mix of SWM and conventional (non-SWM) as needed/desired to accomplish your desired installation.

Carl

8. Nov 3, 2008 #8 of 26
    JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Okay, so based on the fact that SWM5 channel was rare, do you think they are most likely sending me an SWM LNB? Originally they sent me the slimline 5lnb dish which has the 4 outputs on it. Whatever it is they are sending me, they said would work with the slimline dish that was already sent to me. Unfortunately it was like pulling teeth trying to get an exact description of what was being sent to me. It definitely has SWM per the cutomer care associate.

9. Nov 3, 2008 #9 of 26
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you don't anticipate ever going over 8 tuners, you should be able to get it done with the SWM LNB assembly. If you think you might go over 8 tuners, then you need to stick with the four-wire dish assembly they brought the first time around and buy yourself an SWM switch with power inserter (PI).

The key to the puzzle is making sure than the SD receiver supports SWM (as the D12 does).

10. JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks Harsh. I'm still trying to figure out what they are sending me lol. Some have responded that the SWM5 kit was pretty rare. So I can't tell if it will be the SWM lnb or the SWM5 kit.

11. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    Please let us know when you get your part from D* what it turns out to be....I am intrigued and if I can call them and somehow finagle a free SWM from them in exchange for renewing my programming commitment I will be a happy D* user!

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I would estimate a 90+% chance that you will be receiving the SWM 5-LNB kit (LNB and power inserter makes the "kit") and not a SWM-5 (discontinued before it ever got to volume production) or SWM-8 (not supplied for residential installs). Not sure if their "kit" includes a splitter or not; if so, it's likely the SWS-4, which will work just fine for you.

13. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    It could well be the SL5-S aka SL5-SWM aka SWM 5-LNB. The customer service rep is getting the "5" from the fact it is a 5 LNB with an integrated SWM switch. The draw back to this is that you are limited to 8 tuners and all the recievers/dvrs must be SWM capable. The standalone switch SWM8 allows you the same 8 SWM tuners, but has 3 legacy ports which will give you up to 3 legacy tuners.

14. JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008

IIP, that sounds good to me. I do actually hope that it is a SWM lnb. It seems like it would be much easier if I received that rather than the SWM5 kit, which was rarely used.

On another note, since I am just starting with D*. I am switching from Comcast. On their hd dvr's you could record 2 shows at the same time, but have to watch one or the other shows that being recorded. Is that the same with the hd dvr's for D*? Or can I record two shows and watch a 3rd?

15. JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008

I was actually hoping that it is the swm 5lnb and not the old(never really put into production) SWM5 kit. I probably won't be adding any new receivers for at least a year or so, but when I do, would I be able to add the SWM8 along with the SWM5 lnb to be able to add more recievers? I believe all the receivers I have ordered and received are SWM capable.

16. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    You can record 2 shows, and watch anything in your playlist(previously recorded or Directv on Demand)

17. JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    No problem, the rep was supposed to call me back with a tracking number, but never did. Funny thing is that she left me her direct number if I wanted to get in contact with her. I called her direct line, and it was for Trident Marketing. I did a google search just now, and it looks like they are a retailer(authorized dealer) of Direct TV. I will try to give her a call again tomorrow to see if I can get a tracking number.

I wonder...with the fact that it is not coming straight from Direct TV, do you guys still think it will be a SWM 5lnb or a SWM5 kit?

18. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    TBMK, no. You would need to go back to the SL5 LNB you have at the moment, and get two SWM8's since you probably only want to run one RG6 to each of these future DVRs. Depending on your end point configuration its possible to do this with a different combination of the older technology switches. There is a wealth of information on this at DBSTalk.com if you really want to get into the technology of it all.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The SWM5 standalone switch wouldn't support the desired six tuners anyway.

20. JMS57

JMS57 Cool Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Oh ok, so then its gotta be the SWM 5lnb is what you are saying?

harsh, have you heard of Trident Marketing? Apparently that is who is sending me the SWM (which ever one it may be).