1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just switched to DISH after 22 years with DIRECTV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by drumdude, Jun 27, 2018.

1. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I just switched to DISH after 22 years with DIRECTV. So far the Hopper 3 is great! There were a number of reasons I switched. Anyone else have any?

1. When HD TV came along DIRECTV discontinued their TiVO DVR's and forced customers to switch to their proprietary DVR (the Genie).
    2. Later when TiVO was offered, it was a watered down TiVO without whole home DVR. This insured it would not compete with the Genie.
    3. DISH and TiVO DVR's offer advanced technology but it seems lately that Genie is no longer cutting edge.
    4. AT&T purchased DIRECTV and immediately eliminated any discounts. My monthly bill, with no premium channels, went up to over $150 a month.
    5. AT&T customer service was poor. Difficult to get to the correct department. Who was I was talking to? AT&T Mobility, U-Verse, or DIRECTV?
    6. The final straw. AT&T pushed out a software update for Genie with a rebranded interface. There were lots of graphics which made menu's slow to load.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    so, how you satisfied with UHD/4K programs now ? does it show HDR UHD ? or better - HLG UHD events ?

3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The Hopper3 does UHD with HDR seamlessly, albeit limited programming. The Olympic and World Cup broadcasts work with my basic Samsung HDR set.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Enjoy your New Service

drumdude likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    does dish skip HLG support this time ? while DTV using it for most of UHD events

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I don't know the answer, but isn't the source video the same for both Dish and DirecTV? There don't appear to be any HDR/HLG issues on the Dish broadcast.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    only if you have full evidence, like Info from your TV supporting HLG HDR

8. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    You misunderstand, I make no claim other than Dish requires HDR to see the broadcast and it works on my TV, several years old and a lower level model that only asserts HDR support.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I got it, but still don't know if HLG video providing by dish

10. jhsanchez

jhsanchez Legend

Feb 4, 2006
    Tucson AZ
    I really don't know why I should give a crap.

11. speedy4022

speedy4022 Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I switched afters years with Directv because at&t destroyed Directv.

drumdude likes this.
  12. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    One disappointment with Dish for me is they seem to have fewer premium channels in HD.

13. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I had not noticed fewer HD channels but I have "America’s Top 250".

14. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Obviously I did not emphasize "premium channels" eg. Starz, Encore, Showtime, Cinemax, correctly.

15. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    After 18 years with DirecTV, I am considering a switch to DISH. I haven't decided, but NFL Sunday Ticket doesn't hold my interest as much now and some of the other reasons I stayed with DirecTV no longer apply either.

My questions are very basic regarding switching for those who have experience.

- How is the sat dish installation handled? It has been a while since I had a sat dish installed and do not want another dish on my roof.
    - I assume all new cabling will be required, correct?
    - Does Dish require contracts for the 24 month offers to new customers?
    - Does Dish negotiate after deals expire? For the past 5 years or so I really have been given some good deals via the DirecTV Retention department. My current commitment is expiring so we will see what they come up with sometime in August which is why I am currently undecided.
    - I read and hear good things about the Hopper, I hope they are accurate!

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    1. Yes, new dish is needed, but usually you can get the installer to take down the old dish and just leave the foot.
    2. Some new cabling for sure, but I’ve never needed all new cabling on a switch of provider.
    3. Yes, 24 month commitment, but with a price frozen for the two years.
    4. Yes negotiated deals are there, and just as with Directv, they vary quite a bit for no apparent reasons.

I’m currently on cable with my own TiVo’s, but a little over a year ago I had the Hopper 3 and think it is the best out there. If u switch insist on the Hopper 3, you won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

17. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and provide helpful information. Much appreciated!

18. drumdude

drumdude Cool Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Q - How is the sat dish installation handled? It has been a while since I had a sat dish installed and do not want another dish on my roof.
    A - Its a new dish and it needs to point in a different direction. For me that meant it had to be installed in a totally different location on my roof.
    Q - I assume all new cabling will be required, correct?
    A - No. for me just replaced cable from the dish to the side of my house. They did not change wiring inside the house except to replace the splitter inside.
    Q - Does Dish require contracts for the 24 month offers to new customers?
    A - Yes, but your price is guaranteed for that entire time.
    Q - Does Dish negotiate after deals expire? For the past 5 years or so I really have been given some good deals via the DirecTV Retention department. My current commitment is expiring so we will see what they come up with sometime in August which is why I am currently undecided.
    A - Not sure. I am a new customer
    Q - I read and hear good things about the Hopper, I hope they are accurate!
    A - The Hopper 3 is the best DVR I have ever used (and that includes Genie and Tivo). Lots of cool features. You can create separate folders for everyone in the family to store their shows. This way you don't need to look through anyone elses shows to find your content. That alone is a big time saver. Also you can export all your shows to an external hard drive when it's time to upgrade to the next Hopper.

19. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    I'll say this...If you could put the Hopper 3 with Directv's programming, you would have the perfect setup. The GUI on the Genie system is bad, and honestly the Genie was significantly behind the H3 before the update came along.

lparsons21 likes this.
  20. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Can you have more than one Hopper 3?