1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just talked to Tech Support

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Andrew Sullivan, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Aug 1, 2018 #1 of 20
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    After spending 23+ minutes on hold I talked to Tech Support regarding four issues I've been having since I switched to the HS17 in January. 1. Stuttering sound on live and recorded material every hour or so. (answer), Known software issue that will be fixed by end of August. 2. Picture and sound drop several times a day (answer), known software issue that will be fixed by the end of August. 3. 4K box unchecks itself everyday (answer), known issue and no idea when it will be fixed. 4. Recording a particular daily show on more channels then I specify (answer), known issue and no idea when it will be fixed. She mentioned that a couple of these issues are strictly with the HS17 but since the HS17 is an upgrade from the HR54 they cannot switch me back to the HR54. I told her that made no sense at all but what the heck, let's make the customer suffer. By the way, in May I called about these same four problems I was told that these software issues would be fixed by the end of July, which was yesterday.

2. Aug 1, 2018 #2 of 20
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If the two got fixed by tomorrow or Friday, I wouldn't be too critical between 'end of July' and Aug 2 and 3.

But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that none will be fixed by then.

3. Aug 1, 2018 #3 of 20
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    All of these are known issues not specific to the HS17. People with HR44/54 units are getting the same intermittently

4. Aug 1, 2018 #4 of 20
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I said "couple" not "all" of these issues. I don't ever recall having stuttering with my HR54 or recording all channels when I only want a show recorded on one channel. Also it was May when I was told the end of July. "D's" track record for fixing software problems does not leave me optimistic.

5. Aug 2, 2018 #5 of 20
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    They don’t give a shit anymore, and the ones that do have their hands tied. AT&T’s mismanagement ruined the software engineering department. Until it starts making a noticeable impact in AT&T’s bottom line, they will allocate as little resources as possible for bug fixes like that. The whole department is a income sucker. Attention is given to departments that are income generators, not losers. You’d think AT&T would have deep enough pockets to pay people to fix these things. Nope, they are too busy spending it on mega mergers like Time Warner.

I’m on software 1088 on HR44 and have issues too. Not the stuttering issue, but the other issues you list. Heck, I can’t even watch on demand without the whole system freezing during the “optimizing video quality” or whatever it says in the beginning. I do a clearmybox once a week to flush it out... issues persists. It’s ever since this 1088 version I got at the end of June.

6. Aug 5, 2018 #6 of 20
    Banditx

Banditx New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CA
    Under Audio settings, make sure Dolby Audio is disabled.

7. Aug 5, 2018 #7 of 20
    Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Dolby is off even though I don't understand why this is necessary

8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Update. The tech came out yesterday and imparted some interesting information. He has been with DirecTV for 10 years. The tech I spoke to on the phone said that the stuttering problem was because of a bad hard drive in the HS17 and made sure that the tech had a new one with him. He swapped it out but said the new HS17 would not help and that the real problem was with the CK61.
    He went on to say that the CK61 has been a problem since it's introduction 7 years ago and is still full of bugs. He trys to talk customers out of it. He also mentioned that the HR54 is much more stable DVR than the HS17 but since the HS17 is ATT's baby they are not allowed to do a free swap back to the HR54.

9. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I got a swap back from the HS17 back to the HR54. My system now is a 54,24 and a mini. Best system I ever had. The 17 was a pita.
    SSTV

JimAtTheRez likes this.
  10. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Believe me I tried with the rep that was here. I imagine if I squawked long enough and hard enough they would do it without me having to do a new 2 year contract. I'll just live with for now.

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I just said, Do it or i'am gone and no contact, being a customer since 94 helped.
    SSTV

12. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    They probably would but I think the problem is with the CK61 and not the HR54. I don't watch much 4K on 104 or 106 but occasionally some sports on 106 and nature stuff on 104. You would think that after being the the only dog with My 4K programming for 7 years they would prioritize the marketing advantage. Especially when you consider how many 4K TV's are out there in 2018.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    call and play CSR roulette, get retention dept, threat to leave

it's C61K, BTW, not ck61

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The hs17 is not att baby, it was DIRECTV...

The c61k hasn’t been out 7 years...

It is a cause of a lot of headaches, not the hs17...

15. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I was surprised when the phone tech rep said the HS17 was the problem but nothing ventured nothing gained from my standpoint. As the home rep said, it appears the problem is not the HS17 but the C61K. I thought it was fairly new when I got mine about 3 years ago. I thought about dumping the c61k until I noticed this morning that Channel 106 will be showing the Notre Dame game in 4K.

16. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I had the C61K connected to an HR54 and it froze constantly. I sent the C61K back and got out of my 4K upgrade commitment. Didn't like losing the first receiver free credit either; it's like paying for every TV upgrading to 4K. The HR54 seems to do nicely on its own compared to the HR44 that was getting slow and sluggish work remote commands.

And wow, Directv still thinks my system has genie minis instead of the HR24-100s in the bedrooms. After long suspension of Directv I restored service and cancelled 3 times because they couldn't get my bill and connected receivers service restored. I had to cancel the HS17 order 3 times when I learned the minis would replace the HR DVRs (before the suspension).

I'm not fond of the genie minis. Directv needs an HR all in one DVR solution for 4k HDR. That still requires an upgrade per capable TV; works for me though. Being away, I don't know but is there a solution yet or upcoming?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope, main course of DTV is a server [HSxx] and clients/mines

armchair likes this.
  18. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm hoping Directv brings 4K HDR to online streaming via non leased DVR box or even Apple TV 4K with cloud DVR done right.

Tried Directv Now. Didn't like the cloud DVR: 30fps recording, small capacity and lack of pause, rw, ffw in short live buffer (less than 5 minutes compared to 90 minute buffer in Directv DVR). Definitely a work in progress and I'm not so patient to keep paying for such inadequate DVR service. PlayStation Vue was better for the money but not enough channels for many, including my wife.

I'm back to Directv but will stay with my SDR HR DVRs for TV now. Gotta be something better and cheaper coming or it's back to PlayStation Vue next year. I did hear Directv has another streaming service to bring soon. Maybe then. The coax in my house is split between Ethernet over coax and Directv SWM. I'd prefer to switch it all back to moCa 2.0 or higher and stream everything.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    look for a thread about new combo device C71KW … perhaps it's your target ...

armchair likes this.
  20. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks. I will.