1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just upgraded to a Genie !!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PK6301, Sep 30, 2013.

1. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    The installer left 30 minutes ago, I upgraded my main receiver which was a HR23 to a HR44-700. If I have to use words to describe this new receiver it would be,
    Wow
    Fast !!
    Small

I will have to see what is in store in the future, I have to wait for the program guide to repopulate and for On Demand to come back on-line.
    :D
    Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well done! Enjoy!

3. thecougarguy

thecougarguy Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Very cool. I upgraded on Saturday. I got the HR44-200. I got rid of my R-15 and moved my HR-22 to the bedroom. You're right, the HR-44 is really fast. Whole home is the cat's a$$.

4. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Yep! I upgraded about a week and a half ago. Everything is amazing!! Love my Genie! Especially with 2 other DVRs still in the house.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's o.k., to write "meow" here......

!rolling

Glad you're all set now!

6. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    It's definitely nice, also seems to run cool too (my temp has been 99-100).

7. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    HR44's ROCK! I had moved mine around a while back to try to determine if an issue I was having was receiver oriented, or coax/SWiM oriented. I finally put it back today as I was sick of how slow and cumbersome the other one is that was in it's place. Such a difference!!

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just remember it takes from hours to days for all Genie features to become fully operative. Especially that Genie recommend thingy.

9. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I went out on a limb on the upgrade and had him give me the RC71 remote. Right now I really like it, even my wife is using it without much difficulty. ( She is normally technology challenged !!!! )
    The installer was even able to get the sound bar programmed to work with the remote.

10. Ed Snape

Ed Snape New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    I got a 44 with RC71 today and try as I may, cannot program RC71. Cannot get past choice of RF or IR. No matter which I choose it just keeps asking for that choice over and over again. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you tried resetting the remote? Pressing mute & select at the same time until 4 blinks, then press 981.

Then you need to get the remote in RF before programming anything else.

12. JasTay4224

JasTay4224 New Member

Oct 29, 2012
    RC71 question.... Answer:

Hold ( Mute ) and ( Enter )... The remote will self set to RF...

Press the volume toggle up or down to get the " Remote not programmed " banner..

Program remote...

Done.

Also correct to reset before attempting to program.

13. elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    You are so lucky! Just ordered my upgrade last night. Looking forward to having the Genie. Customer service was great in giving me the free upgrade, which I didn't know about. However, there was some confusion as the first service rep said I couldn't do a "customer install", but after being moved to another service rep for verification of order, he indicated I was doing a self install. Hopefully, I will have the new Genie in my possession by Friday so I can install and program it before the weekend. We will really enjoy the ability to record more than two shows at once and be able to watch another channel at the same time. Not really sure of all the capabilities in the Genie, but I am sure we will figure them all out!

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Elbyj - why did you want the self install?

15. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I got a 44 with RC71 today and try as I may, cannot program RC71. Cannot get past choice of RF or IR. No matter which I choose it just keeps asking for that choice over and over again. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you

I hope you got the remote programmed alright.. Did you do a self install, or did Directv come out and put it in ?
    If they put it in, your installer did you a dis-service, before my installer left, he made sure my TV work right, the Sound Bar worked, and my sons DVR was working right.

16. Ed Snape

Ed Snape New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Direct did the install. Overall tech was excellent and spent nearly 2 hours setting things up. Although, I sometimes do my own setups, glad I had Direct do this one. Needed swm, power inserters etc all provided by Direct. He made several trips up to my dish (high) to repoint. I learned that new 44 will not unlock unless adequate signal on required transponders. Could not have done that myself. He used my old remote which was already programmed for projector and audio amp. Just before he left, I asked for a new remote, and he handed me an un programmed RC71 from the truck; hence my need to program. Will attempt remote programming in a minute using tips from others above.
    Thanks to all.

17. Ed Snape

Ed Snape New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    I am going to try this in a minute. I presume that my Pany projector and audio amplifier require IR, so should I select IR? Someone stated that RF is always on even when RC71 is set to IR.

Thanks for your help.

18. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I think the HR44 only accepts the RC71 in RF. I don't have mine programmed to an audio device, so I'm not sure how that works.

I'm sure others will come next and help younwith that. But you migjt do a DBSTalk search for programming the RC71.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

19. elbyj

elbyj Godfather

Jan 9, 2003
    Self-install for a receiver is really a "no brainer" as far as I am concerned. Just pulling the old unit out and replacing it with the new one. After that make the phone call to DirecTV to start the service on the receiver. Yea, it would be nice to have the installer sit there and make the call.... and wait, and wait, till all the programming comes up. Or even try to sell me a new cable run from the dish to the receiver, etc, etc. Don't need all those issues!. If the new receiver doesn't work -- make a phone call -- send it back and get a new one. I have did several replacement receivers in the past. UNLESS -- you are aware of something specific about installing a Genie?

20. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT

You were probably pressing select after 961 ch^ instead of enter. Common mistake.
    When you set the rc71 for RF, that's only for the hr44. It will still be controlling the TV/AVR using IR.

#)