Just upgraded to HS17 and having second thoughts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sandra, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    We have an HR 54 and a client attached that works beautifully. We also have an HR24 that does not.

It's been replaced at least four times the past few years, most recently in January, and the problem is back. Heavy pixelization, loud staticky cracks, etc. Happens in CBS, NBC, Fox and a little bit on HBO.

Called yesterday and they agreed to give us a genie 2 for free. Install is Saturday but after reading about it we may cancel. My main issue is no PIP as we have a large Tv and love to put games on side by side when two games are coming to the end at the same time. Very disappointed the new genie won't allow us to do that.

Also read a lot of less than glowing reviews about the genie 2 though some do seem to like it. Hate to replace a genie that is working perfectly with one that won't!

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Thanks!

Sandra

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I would not worry about it --Go for upgrade and if you really need PIP --add a MINI to your large TV and use the TV pip

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The Genie 2 is fantastic

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Be advised though the playlist does not have a switchable filter between local or combined. So all shows recorded from any client is always viewable in the list by all clients. But not necessarily playable depending on the parental settings of the client ...

And that for some unknown reason, the DIRECTV OTA adapter (the "LCC") still does not yet function on the Genie 2. Even though it makes perfect sense for DIRECTV to allow it to. ..

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most TVs nowadays don’t have built in PIP anymore.

6. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    The mini has PIP capabilities?

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, the assumption was that the OP's television had PiP capability. ..

So WestDC advised the OP to simply get an additional Mini client to feed the second input of the TV for PiP functionality.

The problem is though as RatPatrol noted. TVs manufactured today usually no longer have the PiP feature any more.

WestDC likes this.
  8. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Clients cannot record anything and with an HS17 you cannot have any other DVRs so your statement makes no sense.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    What I was trying to say is that whichever client a recording is initiated from is irrelevant. The playlist will always display all recordings as discussed here for instance ...

Can you use a Genie Client but limit access to the playlist? - The Solid Signal Blog

Which is one of the reasons the G2 is sort of a deal-breaker for many here that don't want to always see the UPL and prefer only to view the personal list of local recordings they made from their boxes.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Have you given any thought to keeping the 54 and fixing the problems with your 24s? Most of the issues we see with the 24s can be fixed. Easily, costs a few bucks but it's an easy fix.

Rich

11. RDH416

RDH416 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    Two thoughts:
    1) you’ll likely start a new 2 yr commitment because they’ll consider the HR-17 as an upgrade.
    2) if you’re using an AM-21 to get over-the-air stations through either your HR-54 or your HR-24, you will lose that since AM-21 won’t work with the HR-17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Exactly....not even to mention the PIP. It’s not the slam dunk some here imply it is. Research it and make your own decision as to what your needs are as “upgrade” should be used very loosely when it comes to any Directv product.

Rich likes this.
  13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nor does the AM21's successor the "Local Channel Connector" or "LCC" work on the HS-17 either ...

Which makes no sense whatsoever for DIRECTV to deny this feature on the HS-17 ...

14. Sandra

Sandra Legend

Apr 16, 2012
    This is what we've been doing for pretty much the last three years. We've had techs here switching out the unit a few times and the wiring was redone as well. Hasn't been the exact same problem every time but eventually something always happens.

We think the unit worked well for about a year but it started acting up again in January, they changed the unit again, and this week it happened again.

An update is we cancelled the genie 2 for now. We're going to try recording everything on the HR54 and sharing the playlist to the HR24. We'll see how that works. Just hate the thought of giving up PIP as well as giving up a genie that has worked perfectly since day one! Hate to lose all the recordings we have on this genie as well.

Sandra

I WANT MORE likes this.
  15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    You could swap out the HR-24 with a client box if you don't need the extra DVR's though each client will use up a tuner on the HR54. Also that would tie you into a new 2 year contract. And I would personally not get a wireless client either.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* won't fix your 24. You can get replacements time after time and you will see the same thing happen in a few months. You have to realize the 24s have HDDs in them that are a decade old. You need a new drive. You can put a new external HDD on your 24 using the eSATA function which should solve your video and audio problems for a couple years. If you're lucky. Cost with an HDD equal to what you have now with an external device will cost less than a hundred bucks.

Or, you could read the thread I will link to and do yourself a favor, you'll end up with a 24 that works far better than any 24 you've ever used. Here's the link to that thread: What happens if I put a 1TB SSD in my HR44-700?

All my HRs, the 44 and four 24s, have SSDs on them and they all work very well. But...always a "but"...if something other than the HDD is bad, putting an SSD on it won't help. I read your post, you seem to have the problems an SSD will cure. I'd suggest getting an external device and an SSD and trying it out for a couple weeks, you can return the SSD and the external device if your problems don't go away.

Here's the bottom line to that thread I linked to: I have been using the SSDs for over a year and a half and have not seen any pixellations or audio breakups except for those caused by rain fade. My HRs are as steady and reliable as the feed from Netflix.

Rich

codespy and veryoldschool like this.
  17. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    These are THE two reasons I went with an HR54 for our home. Office has the HR54 (1080p TV), HT has the C61K for 4K and our daughter has her own HR24. The big drawback with HR54 is only 1 4K channel can be recorded/viewed at the same time...

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, you can't have any other DVR/Receiver on your account if you have an HS17. So keeping "her own HR24" wouldn't be possible.