1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ka Signal in Upper Quebec

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    First up, I know that D* does not sell subs to Canadians, of which I am not. Not looking to open up a **** storm, just looking for info.

I spend a number of weeks each year at a little place my family has had for years in the Lac Saint-Jean area of Quebec (roughly 100 miles Northwest of the most Northern Part of Maine and 200 miles north of Vermont/Canadian border).

Thinking of taking 2 of my D* HD IRDs with me when I am there, purchasing a Slimline Dish and permanently installing it for my visits.

However, I have never seen any info on the 99W and 103W footprint and do not wish to go through the hassle for naught.

Anyone in this area that has any experience with a Slimline Dish and the newer Ka Birds on D* that can advise what kind of signal readings they attained on the Ka birds 99W and 103W (as well as 101W for reference).

And yes, I know I wouldn't receive my locals.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This would start the "Not looking to open up a **** storm," you don't want to.
    "sorry"

3. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    This thread will be locked as any discussion of what you are trying to do is not allowed by forum rules.

4. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    So, if I have a legit sub, that's against forum rules?

And if I had said I drove my SUV to Quebec and the IRD was in my SUV connected up to a TracVision, it wouldn't be ok, because I crossed over the Canadian Border, although TracVision clearly shows D*'s Ku and Ka signal available in Canada?

http://www.kvh.com/Pages/Satellite-...ion-Maps/North-America/DIRECTV-US-Marine.aspx

Just trying to find use my D* sub 365 days a year instead of suspending it while my family is gone for several weeks.

5. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    As far as I know it is not illegal for an American to take his receivers with him while travelling. Thousand of RV'ers do it every year. Canadian law allows it too.

Why not take a Slimline and a tripod with you and try it? My guess is it will work fine.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think you have good chances to catch Ka signals there. I would pick a dish and IRD just to fulfill my [your] curiosity.

7. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    one day a dish?

Also, as one cannot put Canadian Postal Codes into the Slimline Installation matrix, how would one determine AZ/EL/Skew?

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That SUV would need to have an RV account [first] and then I still don't think this covers going out of the country.
    Discussing how to receive DirecTV service outside the US goes against the forum rules. "period"

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Slow down - it not your prerogative to shut down posters ..

Rephrasing for grammar teachers ;): I would pick a dish and IRD just to fulfill my [your] curiosity one day .

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Easy. Use Dishpointer site. ;)

11. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Not looking to discuss how to setup D* Service outside of US. Just looking for technical info on a satellite signal of which I am a legal paying sub.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which we'd be glad to give you for a location within the service area.
    Whether you agree or not, you're really asking for help "hacking" DirecTV service outside of the legal service area.

This where you can see the footprints: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=171756

13. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    No, I am simply asking for signal readings of a satellite/footprint info from someone in the area that possibly has measured it with a SlimLine Dish and a D* IRD.

Nothing more.

Thank you for the Footprint links, though it appears those are for the Ka Spotbeams - and not the Ka Conus Footprint.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Just don't tell us what you're going to do with them. ;) :lol:

15. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    Look, we can all dance around, but the law is pretty clear on this. Neither D* nor E* has legal rights to rebroadcast content outside of the United States (unless through a foreign subsidiary). When you go through the border, you have a good chance of having your equipment seized and destroyed. It has nothing to do with defrauding D*, it has to do with programming clearances, and it would be the Canadian government enforcing this.

On a side note, one of my techs (internal E* tech) was working near the Maine/Canadian border, and he figured if he could cut through Canada, he could save 35 miles of driving. He was turned back at the border for just that reason. You're a big boy, you do what you want to do, but from my experience, the Canadian government takes that stuff pretty seriously. Just a word to the wise.

16. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  18. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    100 miles nw of Maine border will fetch you decent KA signals even on cloudy days as long as you have clear LOS & you dither your az/el settings. Let's just say I have a friend who has a place there & have done what you intend to do. My... errr his elevation angle is wicked low so a roof mount may be necessary.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No one here is trying to "shut down" the poster P. Smith, we'd love to help him, but we are just telling him why we can't. Receiving DirecTV service outside the CONUS is illegal except through an authorized foreign distributer and is thereby against forum rules. :nono2:

And I swear if we try and the mods. see it, you certainly know they will lock this thread as sure as I'm sitting here typing this.

EDIT: Perhaps for the sake of accuracy I should said reception of DirecTV television outside the Continental United States or "CONUS," Alaska, and Hawaii is illegal.

20. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    While I hear what is *assumed*, KVH TracVision works hand in hand with D*, especially their HD7 TracVision that receives Ka birds and has SWiM technology built in.

Yet, as you can see from the link (in Post #4), they show service well outside of CONUS. If a sub taking their unit temporarily outside of the USA is illegal, then KVH should not be showing service available in those areas, especially as they work hand in hand with Directv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.