1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Katrina: Where are the offers for help?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Aug 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 30, 2005 #1 of 143
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    By many accounts, Katrina may well turn out to be America's greatest natural disaster. Massive damage, polluted waters still rising, dead bodies floating in the flood waters, widespread power outages, thousands of homes and jobs lost. If you just lost your home, your job, your vehicle(s), and what little money you have is held captive in a bank because of power outages, what would you do?

Where are the offers of humanitarian assistance, food, equipment, money or just plain sympathy and encouragement from other countries? It seems like America goes everywhere in the world when major disasters happen, even to help rescue Russian submariners trapped at the bottom of the sea, but when Americans are hurting - nada. Couldn't we use a few thousand troops from our neighbors, a few hundred tons of emergency supplies and a couple of extra rescue helicopters from our political and economic partners.

So where is that helping hand that humanity thinks it extends when disasters happen? Where is that village that it takes for mankind to survive? Seems to me that man isn't so kind afterall.

Even a token offer of cash from Saudi Arabia or China would make me feel better -- after all, it was our money to begin with.

:shrug:

2. Aug 30, 2005 #2 of 143
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    good question. I might add, where are the mouthy UN representatives complaining about France and Germany not taxing their people enough so that they could rush aid in? In fact has anyone expressed sympathy for the victims? Not that any of that surprises me - the US does more for more people who are generally ungratefull once their tummy's full again. Perhaps it is time haul up the walls and go isolationist again.... no, but it is tempting.

3. Aug 30, 2005 #3 of 143
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Just because you have not heard it on U.S. media does not mean it isn't happening. How long did it take for us to start to respond when the tsunami hit? Our excuse then was that it would take time to evaluate what was going to be needed. But now you complain that after 24 hours the aid is not pouring. Last year Bush couldn't break away from his vacation to express concern. Now you want to hear immediate concern. The other aspect is, we generally tell other nations we don't need their help, as in the case of 9/11. Except for cases where it is a very specialized sort of aid. Besides, I thought OPEC had already voted to help pick up the slack Katrina caused in oil production. That is probably the most effective help anyone could offer at this point.

4. Aug 30, 2005 #4 of 143
    Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    Lets see we are spending a billion $$$ a week bombing and rebuilding Iraq for the benefit of our corporate interests. Maybe those other countries see the idoicy in that.

How about us taking care of our own?

5. Aug 31, 2005 #5 of 143
    ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I think the French oughta step up and the Saudis.

6. Aug 31, 2005 #6 of 143
    n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    or.....they said they would put it up for consideration when they met in September but whatever.

7. Aug 31, 2005 #7 of 143
    DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I also heard Germany offered some advice- They said we deserved what we got with Katrina.

I didn't hear any such thing about OPEC offering oil. Instead, I heard that it jumped to $70 a barrel and that there will be win-fall profiting over our loss.

I'd bet there will be no offers of aid for the US at all. I believe there will be more countries who try to politicize the hurricane disaster. I'm waiting for Al Quaeda to claim they were behind this and caused the destruction of 1/10 of this nation.

I say we stop all foreign aid and put those resources into rebuilding the area. Sorry to the rest of the world but that's what you get when you spit in the face of the one that has helped over the years. We have this saying here in the US- Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

8. Aug 31, 2005 #8 of 143
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    [NickMode]It's windfall, not win-fall. As in when a tree is blown over and you don't have to fell it in order to harvest the wood.[/NickMode] ;)

9. Aug 31, 2005 #9 of 143
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    And what exactly could the French and Saudi's offer that we can't do better ourselves? I suppose croissants and frog legs might go over in the French Quarter. But unless they can be cut up for bandages I assume turbans and burkas are better off left in Ridyah.

As has been already stated, in past when assistance has been offered us, it has almost universally been politely declined. If there were some specialized equipment or personel that only the French or Saudis or nearly anyone else had(which I doubt), I assume it would not be refused US.

Is there any possible scenario you can imagine where ANY foreign country could offer any aid at this point that would do anything but "get in our way"? Can you imagine any possible scenario where we would swollow our pride and accept foreign assistance of ANY kind? No, I didn't think so.

Also as stated, it is very early. The reports yesterday were that initially the damage was not as severe as predicted. Today, those reports turned out to be wildly, almost unbelievably optimistic. It now appears this may very well be the worst natural disaster in our history, almost certainly economically. And probably one of the worst in the human toll of death, injury and homelessness.

But it is unfair to compare this to the Indian Ocean tsunami. The FIRST reports there were of 20,000 dead and rose astonomically. The final toll will never be known but is probably 2-400,000! That is unfathomable! If there are as many as 5000 deaths that result from Katrina(and there will likely be much less), there still is no comparison that doesn't come across as pitifully ridiculous and petty.

In addition, hurricanes hit the mainland almost every year, usually multiple ones. We've never accepted any help before and don't expect anyone to offer. I assume once George gets back to the White House tomorrow(it must be serious, he cut short his vacation;)), he will get calls from many world leaders expressing condolences and offering token assistance. "Token" because they undoubtedly expect the offers to be politely declined. And I for one cannot imagine a scenario where we wouldn't decline.

I've made my pledge to the Red Cross and that's about all I can do. But I'll gladly gather up some coconuts, bananas and mangos and and crate them off to Biloxi if I'm asked. And I expect that puts me in the same boat as most foreign leaders. They can feel bad about it, but that's about all they can do, and about all we're going to let them do.

10. Aug 31, 2005 #10 of 143
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks, jonstad -- I needed a chuckle in the midst of my sorrow. I have become too emotionally connected with the disaster of Katrina and the stories of those who have suffered catastrophic personal losses.

Personally, I believe there are hundreds, possibly thousands of souls still trapped or dead in the hot attics of houses who didn't have the means with which to extricate themselves through the roof -- and the putrid waters are still rising.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

:crying_sa

11. Aug 31, 2005 #11 of 143
    Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    Actually we should help ourselves by allocating our own resources to help our own people. Aside from the billions we are pouring into Iraq so they can have cell phones, mail service and Niketowns..

How about a moratorium on new construction so the materials and labor can be deployed to rebuild the gulf coast states? Do we really need more $20m Trump tower condos right now?

12. Aug 31, 2005 #12 of 143
    Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    We can do it ourselves as we always do. That said,, I think Congress should quickly act and put together a bill . Lets reallocate some of the money going overseas to purchase aid and building supplies or perhaps to pay for National Guard troops to redeploy to the area. If I recall, it only took them a couple days to work a bill up that overrode the rights of a brain dead woman in Florida. Lets see how long it takes our government to take care of its own.

13. Aug 31, 2005 #13 of 143
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes, it's quite serious and without quick action there are probably more than a few who are alive still that won't be very soon. It all depends on how many heeded the warnings to leave ahead of the storm. I heard today my wife's cousin lives just west of NO and so far has not been heard from. It's scary stuff.

14. Aug 31, 2005 #14 of 143
    AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    My thought exactly. There's been little coverage of anything but the storm in the last couple days.

That's been our typical response to every disaster that's befallen us. We have a "go it alone" attitude. It seems that we like to be in the position of having others being grateful to us, but we can't handle it the other way around.

15. Aug 31, 2005 #15 of 143
    sydhartha

sydhartha Mentor

Jun 8, 2004

Aww..he called me "wife" ! :)
    Yea no word on my cousin. When it hits a little closer to home it becomes scarier.

Now with that devistation in Iraq and the 600 people known dead it's gonna be harder to get "international" relief...unless the world goes on a "what's the best place to save" basis.

BTW Jonny...gas prices here hit $3.25 this morning. So I won't be able to drive down to LA to offer my assistance.

edit: make that $3.30...and just think I filled up less than 22 hours ago at $2.69!! :eek2:

16. Aug 31, 2005 #16 of 143
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    .... And as I recall, you and the liberals here plus the talking heads in europe werre screaming at Bush for doing that? So what's the matter - are you finally admitting to having a double standard?

17. Aug 31, 2005 #17 of 143
    n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    I keep reading that ""only a few hundred are dead". That's far more than enough as far as I'm concerned but there will also be long term effects from this. The disease and mosquitoes alone from this will effect everyone around NO for a while. N.O. is a dirty city as is but dead bodies, sewage, garbage, oil, chemicals, and etc. all sitting in water for a month....well, something bad is going to happen.

Johnstad, everything I have read says that west of N.O. is alright. I haven't been able to contact any of my fam. yet, either but I understand they are going to start moving people from N.O. to cities to the West.

18. Aug 31, 2005 #18 of 143
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    You're right, its going to be a real mess - and disease could become a problem. Plus it looks like roads and bridges are pretty well trashed, so where are all the aid workers going to stay - even get to the areas. Its not a good situation.

Hope your family in the area is OK. I probably missed your earlier post - they're inland somewhere I hope.

A final thought, and I don't say this to be cruel or insensitive, but how many of the "hundreds" of dead chose that, and refused to evacuate. They were told to evacuate well in advance. Video caught one guy running for the superdome shelter after he finally decided to at least do that much. Somehow I feel that relatives of these people are somehow going to be blaming the government for their loss - and it was really just a bad choice on their part to ignore the evacuation warning. Now I'm sure there are exceptions - perhaps people in hospitals, ... others perhaps who really could not evacuate. But I cannot understand that many people ignoring the warning.

19. Aug 31, 2005 #19 of 143
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Now wait a minute. I am very confused now. Are we being graced by a visit from Mrs. Jonstad?

20. Aug 31, 2005 #20 of 143
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Are you? As I said, we don't really know what has been offered and what statements the leaders of other nations have made. We don't even know how many people from other countries have made donations to the Red Cross online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.